Tonight’s Match - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tonight’s Match

Texas Pete

I was there. I'm feeling guilty at missing the Portugal game due to bad planning.

That was my first home absence since Qatar 2015 and first Glasgow miss since Hungary 2004.

Part reason for the low crowd must have been a lack of understanding of the games importance.   I think I talked it up to myself too much and got pretty stressed out 😬

20 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

No, not at all. 

I completely understand why people would be put off going to Scotland games at the moment. 

Most people who post on here are or were regular attendees of home games (I know some only go to away games as they live abroad or whatever and some people don’t go to any games at all) and I was just interested to see how many of us were there.

I have noticed a lot of people commenting recently about how they won’t go back to Hampden until McLeish is sacked or until we start qualifying again or whatever. 

It’s just a sad reflection of where we are at the moment I suppose that so many of our core support have stopped going. Plenty of us still go of course, including myself. I certainly don’t think I’m a better supporter or person than anyone who wasn’t there last night or who doesn’t go at all anymore. 

Hopefully we will be competitive in our qualifying group next year and we qualify for Euro 2020. If we do that then our attendance will get back to where they should be. 

It's actually cooler not going to watch Scotland and make snide remarks to those who do, on the tartan army board. The forum for Scotland fans....

21 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

No, not at all. 

I completely understand why people would be put off going to Scotland games at the moment. 

Most people who post on here are or were regular attendees of home games (I know some only go to away games as they live abroad or whatever and some people don’t go to any games at all) and I was just interested to see how many of us were there.

I have noticed a lot of people commenting recently about how they won’t go back to Hampden until McLeish is sacked or until we start qualifying again or whatever. 

It’s just a sad reflection of where we are at the moment I suppose that so many of our core support have stopped going. Plenty of us still go of course, including myself. I certainly don’t think I’m a better supporter or person than anyone who wasn’t there last night or who doesn’t go at all anymore. 

Hopefully we will be competitive in our qualifying group next year and we qualify for Euro 2020. If we do that then our attendance will get back to where they should be. 

fair enough min, I took your post the wrong way

I know loads of people who don't post that have stopped going, the Levein era and start of strachan's era killed their support. If this team continues the way it played in the last two games i believe some of the crowds will return, if there is a real chance of qualification the country will turn into slavering patriots again 😂

Like at club level all I want is a team and manager who gives everything, I will go back up for the  next home match as I want to see this team play. This team has got me interested again, its full of young, enthusiastic and passionate players. There's just something about their attitude on Tuesday that made me take notice

41 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

examples of these snide remarks?

Off the top of my head we had some crackpot blaming the fans for the defeat in Israel. Then there's those who tell us we're mugs, wasting our money, the SFA should be boycotted etc etc 

I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

39 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Off the top of my head we had some crackpot blaming the fans for the defeat in Israel. Then there's those who tell us we're mugs, wasting our money, the SFA should be boycotted etc etc 

I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

Yup, I've noticed it too over the past year.

I can understand folk cutting back on away games if we're utter gash but if Scotland are playing in Scotland i'll be there. Can't see that ever changing.

25 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yup, I've noticed it too over the past year.

I can understand folk cutting back on away games if we're utter gash but if Scotland are playing in Scotland i'll be there. Can't see that ever changing.

Nor me. Unless there's a reason I can't go (financially, family or work commitments) then I'll be there.

My support isn't conditional on who the manager is, what players are in the squad, not having warm pies at Hampden or any other shite you hear people come up with.

Just a slight moan about what was a perfect evening otherwise, did they really have to use so little turnstiles at the west stand? 

I understand the game wasn't even half full but the queues outside were massive about 10 mins before kick off. They could have had a few more open to combat this surely?

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Just a slight moan about what was a perfect evening otherwise, did they really have to use so little turnstiles at the west stand? 

I understand the game wasn't even half full but the queues outside were massive about 10 mins before kick off. They could have had a few more open to combat this surely?

I agree it was a bit of a pain getting in considering the size of the crowd but they would have decided how many turnstiles they were opening in advance based on ticket sales and estimated crowd. This determines the number of stewards they need for the game.

I think a good couple of thousand people bought tickets on the day the game based on the queues at the ticket office which was probably unexpected.

We got there at 7:35 or so (maybe just after) and missed the National Anthems. I guess the lesson is turn up at least 15 minutes early if you want to guarantee getting in for kickoff. Unless the queues were much worse earlier they were never going to open extra turnstiles based on a 10 minute waiting time. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I agree it was a bit of a pain getting in considering the size of the crowd but they would have decided how many turnstiles they were opening in advance based on ticket sales and estimated crowd. This determines the number of stewards they need for the game.

I think a good couple of thousand people bought tickets on the day the game based on the queues at the ticket office which was probably unexpected.

We got there at 7:35 or so (maybe just after) and missed the National Anthems. I guess the lesson is turn up at least 15 minutes early if you want to guarantee getting in for kickoff. Unless the queues were much worse earlier they were never going to open extra turnstiles based on a 10 minute waiting time. 

15 minutes early?! That means missing out on two pints!

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Missed a couple of minutes because I got the train to Mount Florida instead of queens park. Does it always have about 10 stops?

Were you on the one that went to Cathcart first? Left Glasgow at 7.15?

We tried to get the 7.05 from platform 1 (which was the quicker one) but it was full so they moved us to platform 6 and we only got there about 7.35. Still made kick off but missed FOS. 

Normally just walk out in plenty of time from the city centre but it was far too wet for that 

12 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

We tried to get the 7.05 from platform 1 (which was the quicker one) but it was full so they moved us to platform 6 and we only got there about 7.35. Still made kick off but missed FOS. 

Normally just walk out in plenty of time from the city centre but it was far too wet for that 

That's the one. Used to just go to Queen's Park and have a couple in the Alison Arms but somebody changed it into a wine bar

20 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I was on that one,  think it left at 7.20pm. You could infact have probably walked quicker , it was ridiculously slow and umpteen stops.

We left Rhoderick Dhu at 6.55pm thinking we had plenty of time but we didnt get on the 7.05 either,  despite there being no queue whatsoever.  

I dont even think we got out of Mount Florida at the normal exit, it took an extra few minutes to get to the ground than it normally does. Though I am not normally as sober as I was on Tues night so I might be talking pish 🙂

33 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I was on that one,  think it left at 7.20pm. You could infact have probably walked quicker , it was ridiculously slow and umpteen stops.

We left Rhoderick Dhu at 6.55pm thinking we had plenty of time but we didnt get on the 7.05 either,  despite there being no queue whatsoever.  

I dont even think we got out of Mount Florida at the normal exit, it took an extra few minutes to get to the ground than it normally does. Though I am not normally as sober as I was on Tues night so I might be talking pish 🙂

No you're probably correct about exiting Mount Florida. Everyone turned left, as they normally would coming direct from central, but because the train came from Cathcart first it arrived on the other platform so turning left sent everyone further away towards Queen's park.

Thankfully we noticed this and were straight up the other stairs with absolutely nobody else with us, much to the disappointment of the guy selling scarves at the top of them lol. Would probably have missed kick off otherwise.

46 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

No you're probably correct about exiting Mount Florida. Everyone turned left, as they normally would coming direct from central, but because the train came from Cathcart first it arrived on the other platform so turning left sent everyone further away towards Queen's park.

Thankfully we noticed this and were straight up the other stairs with absolutely nobody else with us, much to the disappointment of the guy selling scarves at the top of them lol. Would probably have missed kick off otherwise.

🙄 I didnt even realise we had come in from a different direction. I was too busy moanin that I had taken the sensible option of leaving the pub early only to arrive at the ground even later than normal.