Tonight’s Match - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tonight’s Match

Texas Pete

Biggest home game for us in a long while.

Long has been the complaint that the group is too hard to qualify or the playoff is too tough. 

Tonight was the chance to be amongst nations on a similar level to be gifted a chance to qualify.

We won. There are now no excuses.

I went. Not for the game or even to support the team, that's a bonus.. I went as being at a Scotland match and the Ten filled beer fuelled hours catch up with my mates cannot be beaten. The result is secondary.

Pleased it went well.

I’m currently. Anyway, I haven’t been since the Poland match. Had enough of blowing money for fuck all, but if this attitude of selecting the correct players keeps up, I may be tempted back. 

Ps, that’s not meant as in if we keep winning, I’ll be back for the big games :ok:

I wasn’t. I’ll put my hand up, was at every game for 3 campaigns in a row but was completely un-inspired by the insipid Football I was seeing in the last short while, the Lithuania 1-1 draw was a watershed for me where I realised I wasn’t enjoying it anymore and McLeish’s appointment and subsequent team selections didn’t help either.

But I’ll be back for the qualifying campaign because I loved watching tonight and Saturday and it inspired me like I haven’t been inspired for years. Hope we can get hampden full again.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

Nope...recorded it and watched it back when I got in from Football training. Is it a surprise to anybody after all the years of utter shite we have been served up for 20 years now, the clusterfuck in preparation for these games, the negative attitude of the media, a freezing/soaking wet school night and the fact that the general public have no clue how this whole Nations League works, that the crowd was so poor last night? I was a regular attender of home matches and a semi-regular attender of away matches, but haven't been either since Levein was given the job...if the SFA and the team ever get their finger out on a semi-consistent basis, I'll maybe make a point of shelling out again.

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

How many people on here were actually at Hampden tonight?

Not many I’d be willing to bet.

Go on, admit it. We’re you there?

Yes. Great night. Drove 340 miles there and same again back to family. Clean f****d. My son slept in back of car and is now at school.

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Announced as 21k at full time.

I suppose that’s not too bad but considering it was one of our most important matches in years it’s a little disappointing. We’d have easily got 35,000 for that match 10 years ago. Maybe even more recently than that.

It’s sad that many people that have been going to Scotland games for years just aren’t up for it at the moment. I’m sure that will all change if we qualify for Euro 2020. 

43 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I suppose that’s not too bad but considering it was one of our most important matches in years it’s a little disappointing. We’d have easily got 35,000 for that match 10 years ago. Maybe even more recently than that.

It’s sad that many people that have been going to Scotland games for years just aren’t up for it at the moment. I’m sure that will all change if we qualify for Euro 2020. 

apologies if I am wrong but was the purpose of this thread to have a dig at those who didn't attend? 

I am one of those who used to attend, even when I first moved to the south of england I went up for a couple of matches but work, family and a host of other reasons have meant I can't go. In saying that I don't feel anyone should need to justify whether they go or not. Its not exactly a new thing seeing crowds dwindle when teams are shite, if anything Scotland are lucky we attended so well for so long considering the drivel on offer.

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

apologies if I am wrong but was the purpose of this thread to have a dig at those who didn't attend? 

I am one of those who used to attend, even when I first moved to the south of england I went up for a couple of matches but work, family and a host of other reasons have meant I can't go. In saying that I don't feel anyone should need to justify whether they go or not. Its not exactly a new thing seeing crowds dwindle when teams are shite, if anything Scotland are lucky we attended so well for so long considering the drivel on offer.

No, not at all. 

I completely understand why people would be put off going to Scotland games at the moment. 

Most people who post on here are or were regular attendees of home games (I know some only go to away games as they live abroad or whatever and some people don’t go to any games at all) and I was just interested to see how many of us were there.

I have noticed a lot of people commenting recently about how they won’t go back to Hampden until McLeish is sacked or until we start qualifying again or whatever. 

It’s just a sad reflection of where we are at the moment I suppose that so many of our core support have stopped going. Plenty of us still go of course, including myself. I certainly don’t think I’m a better supporter or person than anyone who wasn’t there last night or who doesn’t go at all anymore. 

Hopefully we will be competitive in our qualifying group next year and we qualify for Euro 2020. If we do that then our attendance will get back to where they should be.