Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [20/11/2018] - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [20/11/2018]

Clyde1998

I think with Forrest he is a confidence player. We have seen he can do it at SPL and European level and he exudes confidence. For Scotland though he carried a monkey on his back for so long as he couldn't quite reproduce his club form for Scotland. It must have caused pressure on him and caused self-doubt about being able to do it at international level. That changed on Saturday and with confidence and monkey off his back he looks like the Forrest we see at Celtic. That is my take on it.

It's a great feeling to have those creative/pacey guys on form, Forrest, Fraser, Christie; that feeling we can create something at any time. A bit like the old McFadden days, but with more than one of them! 

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think with Forrest he is a confidence player. We have seen he can do it at SPL and European level and he exudes confidence. For Scotland though he carried a monkey on his back for so long as he couldn't quite reproduce his club form for Scotland. It must have caused pressure on him and caused self-doubt about being able to do it at international level. That changed on Saturday and with confidence and monkey off his back he looks like the Forrest we see at Celtic. That is my take on it.

Agree this has definitely played a factor, he never even started the game well tonight, but once he got that first goal, he went to a level above anyone else on the pitch. 

Armstrong was my pick of the rest. He was the driving force in midfield. Quality player. 

8 hours ago, runningtings said:

Fletcher was outstanding, great shout from the manager to pitch him back in.

Deserved the ovation when he went off.

Yep. He was brilliant tonight. Ran his legs off, won loads in air, held up and linked play. Great header for second goal.  I would have picked Rhodes over him too! 

Fraser, Forrest and most others too. Tierney has to play RB for me and nice problems for next team selection for Eck with so many great performances after so many call offs.  Chuffed for him too. We will have strong bench now all being well. 

Delighted with almost everything. Disappointed with attendance. Should have been full for that game IMO. 

22 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Yep. He was brilliant tonight. Ran his legs off, won loads in air, held up and linked play. Great header for second goal.  I would have picked Rhodes over him too! 

Fraser, Forrest and most others too. Tierney has to play RB for me and nice problems for next team selection for Eck with so many great performances after so many call offs.  Chuffed for him too. We will have strong bench now all being well. 

Delighted with almost everything. Disappointed with attendance. Should have been full for that game IMO. 

Would have liked a bigger crowd, but understandable since the turnaround was only a few days back, midweek game makes it difficult for some to change plans at short notice

9 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

O'Donnell over either please.

Natural right back in a four every time - it isn't hard to understand, is it?

Would probably be my preference too. I think KT is a great player but he feels like half the player he should be when playing at RB.

Forrest excellent last night, 3 very good, composed, confident finishes. He certainly seems a confidence player. Both him and Fraser should have nailed down the wide positions now, no more pandering for one paced players like Snodgrass etc.

Never been his biggest fan but thought Fletcher had a great game last night, certainly outside the box. Won loads in the air including the flick in lead up to the 2nd goal. Great alround graft from him, just wish he could Forrest like add some goals to his game.

The ability of Armstrong and Christie to an extent to run straight forward with the ball is a biggie for us. Teams set up well to defence don't like players "breaking the lines" and getting in behind them. Both can do so well and you can see the impact it can have on teams.

Good win but have to question the subs, or certainly Matt Phillips. Don't think I have ever seen a worse 20 mins of football. And that includes the lad who claimed to be George Weahs cousin. Fine if you want to bring on Shinnie to try and shore up midfield a little, maybe then put Armstrong or Christie in the "10". No Phillips. Who seemed to play in a dazed and confused state, wandering around and watching players 3 or 4 yards away stroll past him without putting in any effort of challenge. He then somehow managed to be the deepest player in defence and play them all on at the chance McGregor pulled off a great save on. WTF was he doing back there. Finally, with a chance to kill the game, he sold possession at least twice in the final 5 mins or so. A horror show and certainly contributed to it being more nervy than it should have been. 

There did seem to a lack of "smart" play in that last 10 mins including injury time. Players just lumping the ball as far up the park as possible FFS. It took McKenna to come out and go past someone and go down to get a foul and kill the game off in the last min or so thankfully.

54 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Would have liked a bigger crowd, but understandable since the turnaround was only a few days back, midweek game makes it difficult for some to change plans at short notice

Just as well there wasnt,  it was a total shambles outside the ground at the ticket box. We arrived at the ground just as the national anthem was being sung, there must have been about 500 people waiting for tickets.  Some of them would have missed the entire 1st half. 

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Just as well there wasnt,  it was a total shambles outside the ground at the ticket box. We arrived at the ground just as the national anthem was being sung, there must have been about 500 people waiting for tickets.  Some of them would have missed the entire 1st half. 

Aye, ticket collections looked mental!

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This whole “international level” stuff......I’d argue that it’s a level below European matches. Certainly the last two matches.

A good result last night but squeezing past a pretty horrendous Israel team doesn't bode well. The real test is the qualifiers to truly get an indication of what we are capable of.

Getting a playoff place after beating Albania and Israel tells you more about the absurdity of the nation's league and the potential quality of another over inflated Euros, we've achieved nothing after last night. The priority has to be improvement in the qualifiers, that's where we should really be judged.

9 minutes ago, Mox said:

A good result last night but squeezing past a pretty horrendous Israel team doesn't bode well. The real test is the qualifiers to truly get an indication of what we are capable of.

Getting a playoff place after beating Albania and Israel tells you more about the absurdity of the nation's league and the potential quality of another over inflated Euros, we've achieved nothing after last night. The priority has to be improvement in the qualifiers, that's where we should really be judged.

Whilst I agree...cheer up you grumpy bugger. We have done what we needed to. We are in pot 3 for the draw and have a play-off to fall back on. 

I've seen shite teams like Albania, Latvia and Northern Ireland at major finals and I want us to be there again. 

10 hours ago, slasher said:

I was particularly surprised at Bates who looks to be maturing into a very capable defender.

I too enjoyed his appearance from no where...  the only thing he did wrong in two games was touch Forrests ;' third' goal in Albania..   or wee  Jamsie would be on a double hat trick.....

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Would I be right in thinking that if we had lost in Albania that scoreline would have put us out last night?

You would also be right in thinking that if yir Auntie had Baws, she'd be yir Uncle....... 😉

22 minutes ago, Mox said:

It was an inflated Euros last time around - and we failed to make a play-off place then. This time around we have. That's progress.

We're nowhere near the finished article - areas like defensive midfield need to improve and clarity over the right back position would help. But we're going in the right direction.

Great night and result obviously.  Just one thing i wanted to mention was Mckenna at the second israel goal. He's turned away and not faced up the shot - if he does that he blocks the shot.  This comparison is going to sound ridiculous i know but bear with: At my weekly 7s over time ive managed to face up shots and take the hit basically, watching the ball and not turn away, it actually does not hurt a great deal 8/9 times out of 10.  So what am basically saying is if i can do it, he bloody certainly can! Saying that i think he's smashing defender and could be top class very soon.

Guest faircity
50 minutes ago, macy37 said:

This whole “international level” stuff......I’d argue that it’s a level below European matches. Certainly the last two matches.

You would.