Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [20/11/2018] - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [20/11/2018]

Clyde1998

25 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

It's what happen with no defensive mids. McKenna could perhaps have been a bit quicker stepping out a couple of times, but that only needed to occur due to the lack of cover.  Really hard thing to judge, and thought the defence was solid over all.

Absolutely right. Bates and McKenna weren't really protected enough so it left them exposed which I think they coped well with. As noted above Bates had to help out Patterson who I'm not going to criticise.

Not sure who'd drop out from midfield for McGinn.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Up until these games, Forrest was a really frustrating player. Didn't deserve to be a first pick, lot of headless chicken performances, but what a fucking player now!

I now even find how he runs like he's carrying two heavy suitcases struggling to catch his train when he realises he is out of position endearing.  

One to mention after tonight though - the decision to leave Forrest out of the starting team in Haifa (straight after his four v St Johnstone) has been shown to be a poor one. Although still not as bad as trying to shoehorn two of the best left backs in the UK into the team by playing neither at left back.

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

BBC "After those back-to-back wins, do the likes of Kieran Tierney and John McGinn stroll back into the starting line up or do the guys with the jerseys keep them?"

I think we know the answer for Tierney at least!

They don’t stroll back in but if one of our midfield or Robertson is playing shit for their clubs whilst McGinnis and tierney are playing great, they would have to be considered 

Edited by vanderark14

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

BBC "After those back-to-back wins, do the likes of Kieran Tierney and John McGinn stroll back into the starting line up or do the guys with the jerseys keep them?"

I think we know the answer for Tierney at least!

Paterson definitely won't do at right back and there's a place for a McGinn/McTominay when the flow of a game is going against us. Other than that we look pretty decent. I was particularly surprised at Bates who looks to be maturing into a very capable defender.

Edited by slasher

Great result but those dying minutes were needless torture. Our major weakness was midfield sitting off and letting them get shots away and it costs us two goals. Going forward the midfield did great and I felt Mckenna and Bates coped well at the back. I thought Fletch put in a great shift and worked his socks off up front. Forrest was on fire and ably supported by Fraser and Christie. McGregor has ended the debate of who is our No 1 for now. 

Great to have something to smile about as a Scotland fan. And one thing the last few days have shown is we do have a decent amount of strength in depth. 

1 hour ago, jimmyhillshitman said:

Watching the game at work here in Canada. Not surrounded by greeting face muppets so I'm over the moon and not about to moan.

Aye the center of our defense isn't great. Bunch of other smaller nations qualifying for tournaments have shown if you have good movement in your midfield you can get away with bang average CBs.

Bates and McKenna for me are not the best Cbs the country have to offer. Hopefully this playoff spot will spark greater interest in selection when it comes around.

Delighted with the win and playoff spot.  We have a long long way to go. I still don't think McLeish is our man, but I'll give him credit where credit is due. 

Good post.... Are you a plumber?

I’ve been critical of big eck & I don’t stand by it. I just realised how absolutely poetic it is that 10 years on from Italy & panucci he gets his Euro play off spot! 

Also for those claiming it’s just a semi final spot-it’s practically the same as the standard two legged playoffs as it’s two games-the only difference is it’s two different teams. IMO it’s better for scotland given we’re playing Finland at Hampden in the first leg. NO disrespect to them but Scotland have defeated huge teams at Hampden in playoffs before so we’ve nothing to fear against a side that has never qualified for any tournament in its history.

Should we reach the final? Effing bring it on-we will FIGHT!

1 hour ago, Stu101 said:

It's what happen with no defensive mids. McKenna could perhaps have been a bit quicker stepping out a couple of times, but that only needed to occur due to the lack of cover.  Really hard thing to judge, and thought the defence was solid over all.

He had to leave the man he was covering to try and block the shot for their second goal because of all the space Israel was given.

McKenna did his job, and then tried to pick up the slack in front of him as well.

50 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Interested in who you think our better centre backs are?

Devlin over Bates.

Guest ElChris04

Don’t know where to start. What a game. For once we didn’t actually bottle it. Words can’t describe how over the moon I am but in a nutshell I’m absolutely fucking delighted. What a performance by jamesie got his hat trick after missing out against Albania and to do it at Hampden made it ever more special proving he’s the most inform winger in the uk.. ugh what a game I won’t bother getting into negatives because games like these is where we need to stay positive... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

4 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

As i posted earlier just home after the game. Started reading this thread and can't believe people are still having a winge, nit picking. Give it a rest and enjoy it. 

Spot on👍🏼 We are not without our flaws obviously, but some of our forward play was fantastic to watch.....the pace and directness of Forrest and Fraser will give any international team problems.

I’ve stuck by Forrest from the start and am just delighted to see the wee man step up in style the last two games.