Should McLeish Be Sacked IF We Lose? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should McLeish Be Sacked IF We Lose?

Guest ElChris04

I watched the entire 90 minutes last night with fresh eyes and a clear mind.

It was a dreadful performance, we could barely string five passes together (apart from the keep-ball session deep into the second half when the Albanians were tired. The players gave a lot of effort, but the quality just isn't there.

We were out possessioned and out passed by an awful Albanian team. 

Is this the managers fault? No.

6 minutes ago, Mox said:

We will not reach the euros with McLeish in charge and beating Israel and Albania in glorified friendlies papers over the cracks of a management team and association that don't have a clue what they are doing.

Psychic now are you?

If we win tonight we will be favourites to qualify for Euro 2020 from League C, should we need a playoff. 

Edited by Texas Pete

Guest ElChris04
11 minutes ago, kumnio said:

He wasn’t the right man for the job, and still isn’t. His appointment was a complete disgrace, it was tinpot mentality and an old pals act at its absolute worst. 

However, if we do finish top of the group, he should be allowed to continue, although I’m 95% certain he will ultimately fail again. If we don’t beat Israel tonight, then he should go. 

Despite some folk having a go about asking even before the match has started. Thank you for actually understanding my point.. it was asked so we could get pov going into the game IF we where to lose tonight. Easily the best post in this thread so far. 

1 minute ago, ElChris04 said:

Despite some folk having a go about asking even before the match has started. Thank you for actually understanding my point.. it was asked so we could get pov going into the game IF we where to lose tonight. Easily the best post in this thread so far. 

In all due respect the whole question is absolutely pointless. A loss and most here would want Eck removed but so what? People power means nothing to the SFA - they will 100% crack on with McLeish regardless. This post and us bumping our gums and turning on each other is not going to change anything.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In all due respect the whole question is absolutely pointless. A loss and most here would want Eck removed but so what? People power means nothing to the SFA - they will 100% crack on with McLeish regardless. This post and us bumping our gums and turning on each other is not going to change anything.

That could sum up 99% of the internet, and life in general. 

A question was asked, that’s all. Discussion is kinda the point of forums. 

Just now, kumnio said:

That could sum up 99% of the internet, and life in general. 

A question was asked, that’s all. Discussion is kinda the point of forums. 

But one with no real point to it. A bit like asking whether people should vote for me as the next PM. It is a question but a pointless one to ask when the end answer is not going to match what happens in the real world.

Guest ElChris04

We all are entitled to share our opinions, one off which if McLeish should be sacked if we lose tonight is definitely worth a discussion before the game imo. But fair enough knowing the SFA they might do.. however you we don’t know for a fact.. surly if we are to lose tonight there will be a outcry for a Mcleish sacking, if the sfa where to ignore majority off the supporters then could see a massive U-Turn with fans going to games. Again it’s all what if’s until after tonight but one thing is for sure that there ain’t any harm in discussing this topic before tonight’s match. 

But one with no real point to it. A bit like asking whether people should vote for me as the next PM. It is a question but a pointless one to ask when the end answer is not going to match what happens in the real world.

Who should start the next game up front?

Gordon or McGregor?

352 or 442?

Etc etc, all asked on here, all pointless as we have no input then?

15 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I watched the entire 90 minutes last night with fresh eyes and a clear mind.

It was a dreadful performance, we could barely string five passes together (apart from the keep-ball session deep into the second half when the Albanians were tired. The players gave a lot of effort, but the quality just isn't there.

We were out possessioned and out passed by an awful Albanian team. 

Is this the managers fault? No.

Who's fault is it then?

20 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Psychic now are you?

If we win tonight we will be favourites to qualify for Euro 2020 from League C, should we need a playoff. 

You must be phsyic to know that as well then because if we end up in a final away to Serbia then I doubt we'd be favourites 

14 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

You must be phsyic to know that as well then because if we end up in a final away to Serbia then I doubt we'd be favourites 

We’d be initial favourites at least until we knew where the final was to be played given we would have topped League C and would be playing the ‘weakest’ team at home in the first playoff. 

You don’t need to be psychic to work that out. 

They'll put the tin hats on if we lose or draw tonight and won't sack him. If the other night proved anything it was that we have a decent, youngish squad with potential. It's a shame that we didn't appoint a progressive manager with the tools to take the group forward.😢

Edited by slasher

Is it any surprise to find that the loudest voices raised against McLeish all support the same team? 

Club loyalties should be checked at the door when talking about Scotland. 

Win, lose or draw he has to stay because there isn't anyone else who wants the job and constantly changing manager at this level achieves nothing if the employing FA don't have a succession plan and strategy. 

Our SFA quite simply don't have this, so any new manager will be back at square one. 

When people talk about replacing McLeish or quibbling over who should be in our starting 11, it's all so short sighted.

Win, lose or draw tonight, we'll be where we've been for the past 20/30 years. And as far as the SFA go, I don't think they've ever cared about the quality of the Scotland team, all they care about is raking in money and being incredibly tight-fisted when it comes to the manager and the players and the cultivation of the youth.

Our enemy is, always been and will always be the SFA. Their complete mismanagement of the game in Scotland is why we are were we are. It's why the vast majority of our players are just above average. I'm not totally blaming the SFA, though, the clubs have to take their fair share of the blame, particularly Celtic and Rangers. For decades these two clubs have spent millions on foreign players when they could've easily have formed an infrastructure to produce their own stars. And no, I don't view James Forrest or Callum McGregor or... as "stars". They're adequate players who are good enough to win a league that is swarming with clubs who are living hand-to-mouth, but nowhere near good enough to play for football's elite.

Sorry. Back to the "important" issue about Scotland manager...

6 minutes ago, Chripper said:

When people talk about replacing McLeish or quibbling over who should be in our starting 11, it's all so short sighted.

Win, lose or draw tonight, we'll be where we've been for the past 20/30 years. And as far as the SFA go, I don't think they've ever cared about the quality of the Scotland team, all they care about is raking in money and being incredibly tight-fisted when it comes to the manager and the players and the cultivation of the youth.

Our enemy is, always been and will always be the SFA. Their complete mismanagement of the game in Scotland is why we are were we are. It's why the vast majority of our players are just above average. I'm not totally blaming the SFA, though, the clubs have to take their fair share of the blame, particularly Celtic and Rangers. For decades these two clubs have spent millions on foreign players when they could've easily have formed an infrastructure to produce their own stars. And no, I don't view James Forrest or Callum McGregor or... as "stars". They're adequate players who are good enough to win a league that is swarming with clubs who are living hand-to-mouth, but nowhere near good enough to play for football's elite.

Sorry. Back to the "important" issue about Scotland manager...

Actually, a win tonight and we'll be in only our 3rd playoff of the last 20 years, and in the last 30 years we've been to two world cups and two euros.

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

Actually, a win tonight and we'll be in only our 3rd playoff of the last 20 years, and in the last 30 years we've been to two world cups and two euros.

And that'll make everything better, will it? If we'll be in our 3rd playoff?

That'll completely erase the complete neglect and mismanagement of Scottish football for decades?

We need to stop being happy with scraps and begin demanding more. Unless people are happy with scraps?

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

And that'll make everything better, will it? If we'll be in our 3rd playoff?

That'll completely erase the complete neglect and mismanagement of Scottish football for decades?

We need to stop being happy with scraps and begin demanding more. Unless people are happy with scraps?

I'm just saying it's not all doom and gloom. I think we could be a better team for sure, but I also think we're doing better than you think. Really I think we just have different attitudes. You watch a 4-0 win for Scotland and focus on the negatives. That's not bad, it's always good to have someone to keep us grounded. I see a 4-0 win for Scotland and I'm full of hope about a young team.

I shouldn’t answer the question just now, having just finished work, in quite a good mood, looking forward to us doing something semi successful for a long time, heading through soon for a few pints before the game, but in a word YES. I said from the outset, this Mini League was massive to us and failure to win it was not an option. Fail and fall on your sword. 

Hope we all enjoy a good result tonight, even Alex McLeish

Just now, mrniaboc said:

I'm just saying it's not all doom and gloom. I think we could be a better team for sure, but I also think we're doing better than you think. Really I think we just have different attitudes. You watch a 4-0 win for Scotland and focus on the negatives. That's not bad, it's always good to have someone to keep us grounded. I see a 4-0 win for Scotland and I'm full of hope about a young team.

It is all doom and gloom. We have barely any kids coming through, the majority of our clubs don't even have their own dedicated training facilities, their no youth infrastructure at all In place, and I could go on. It is all doom and gloom, I assure you.

I take your point, I do. I'm not going to lie, I was livid about the performance on Saturday, so I watched it against last night, just to see if I was harsh on the team. I watched it with a positive attitude, really... but I saw the same exact thing as I did on Tuesday. We won on Saturday because the players gave their all in terms of effort. I'm happy with the win and the 4 goals, but that aside, there was nothing there. We can't keep blaming the manager. The players just aren't good enough. When we are against decent opposition our players panic and we are there for the taking.

We have to stop finding false positives whenever we win a game here or there (and I'm as guilty as anyone). Will we win tonight? We probably will, but we must've use that to cloud our judgement.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

We will not qualify with him in charge, that's a fact.

It’s not a fact. It’s your opinion.  

Presenting your opinion as fact is not only arrogant, it makes you come across as someone whose opinion isn’t worth listening to. 

If we win tonight, we have a brilliant chance of qualifying through the playoffs, in my opinion.

I think we will also struggle to finish second or better in our qualifying group next year regardless of who the manager is. I am basing this on our current players and recent qualifying record. We would still have a chance though if we perform well and other results go our way.