Christian Panucci - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Christian Panucci

exile

Don't care if no one else is interested but I'd like just for the record to note that the Albania manager scored against us 11 years ago today 

For those who may not remember,  this was after the referee controversially awarded a free kick to Italy in the dying minutes, that killed off our chances of Euro 2008.

I don't wish any ill will on the guy, but it's hard to feel too sorry for him when referee decisions went against him today.

I wondered if that game would even be in his mind but interestingly it features in his wikipedia entry so his career must have benefited from it. 

"On 17 November 2007, Panucci managed to score his first international goal for Italy since April 2002, when he headed a crucial injury-time winning goal against Scotland in their Euro 2008 qualifying Group Bmatch. Italy then managed to clinch their place at the European Championship finals."

In any case, I don't see this as payback for that day. Oh no, nothing less than qualifying for a major tournament by knocking out Italy will do for that!

Edited by exile

2 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Folk still forgetting that our goal that night was offside?

And Italy had a perfectly good one chalked off.

Officials were shite for both teams that night. That said the couple of free kick decisions at the end were infuriatingly bad.

2 hours ago, Manno said:

Whilst I certainly won’t be feeling sorry for Christian Panucci, it was Giorgio Chiellini and the Spanish ref that were the main villains that day. 

Like I say, I don't bear him any ill will, and not finger pointing villains, just saying, I don't feel too sorry for him as his career already benefited from a bad decision against us. 

I must admit I thought it might have been a bad omen and he might scupper our chances again.

That was all forgotten when they went down to 10 men when we were 0-1 up though. 

Albania are a poor team. I’m still trying to work out how they managed to beat Israel at home. I’m hoping it’s because Israel are pish away from home. 

32 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I must admit I thought it might have been a bad omen and he might scupper our chances again.

That was all forgotten when they went down to 10 men when we were 0-1 up though. 

Albania are a poor team. I’m still trying to work out how they managed to beat Israel at home. I’m hoping it’s because Israel are pish away from home. 

Israel are a poor team who's results were atrocious but unfortunately picked up upon playing us at home

It was 25 degrees at 11 pm that night

I'm hoping Israel don't much fancy a chilly 6 degrees Tuesday November evening at Hampden

Edited by Bino's

3 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Israel are a poor team who's results were atrocious but unfortunately picked up upon playing us at home

It was 25 degrees at 11 pm that night

I'm hoping Israel don't much fancy a chilly Tuesday November evening at Hampden

Agreed but they do appear to be much better than Albania. 

I can’t see them beating us on Tuesday but they do only need a draw. 

Playing for a draw is always dangerous though. Just as Craig Levein. 

We should really have enough about us to win on Tuesday. If we don’t, we don’t deserve promotion or a playoff. It’s as simple as that.