Hockney - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

14 minutes ago, phart said:

I think the whole high price art thing is just a way to move funds from illegal activities around.

I can't think of any reason they cost so much.

Yeah, but as I said, ' Not really bothered about the price, it's worth what someones willing to pay '.  It's the 'modern masterpiece' thing I don't get. "Hockney’s 1972 masterpiece" Christie's. "Hockney with fresh intensity: ‘as we flew in over Los Angeles I looked down to see blue swimming pools all over, and I realised that a swimming pool in England would have been a luxury, whereas here they are not, because of the climate." Fucking deep stuff.

Edited by Eisegerwind

12 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Yeah, but as I said, ' Not really bothered about the price, it's worth what someones willing to pay '.  It's the 'modern masterpiece' thing I don't get. "Hockney’s 1972 masterpiece" Christie's. "Hockney with fresh intensity: ‘as we flew in over Los Angeles I looked down to see blue swimming pools all over, and I realised that a swimming pool in England would have been a luxury, whereas here they are not, because of the climate." Fucking deep stuff.

That's the cover story to justify the price.

15 minutes ago, Bobster said:

If anybody gets the chance, visit this place:

http://saltsmill.org.uk/mobile/

Spent many days there. You might change your opinion. You might not.

I'd give that a go. I don't really have an opinion to change or not. As I said it's a nice picture, what makes it a masterpiece? A stolen quote, do they have a guide about how long you're meant to look at each piece.

Edited by Eisegerwind

I’d guess what makes it a masterpiece is that it’s a piece of work done with an incredible amount of skill. I guess not all would agree with that but seeing his work close up, I would. I’ve stood and looked at some of his work for a few minutes. Others I’ve sat and looked at for a good half an hour.

Whether you like Hockney or not, Salts Mill is a stunning building and if you’re in that part of the world is worth a visit.

I love in how the articles about it the price dictates the "worth" of the piece.

Art dealer Stephen Howes said Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures) was "truly one of the most iconic paintings of the 20th Century".

The sale, he continued, "galvanizes the piece's rightful place as a true masterpiece and further cements Hockney's place in the highest echelons of art history."

In art & design class at school I had to write an essay on "the meaning" of these two paintings by Hockney 

05edce50-166c-403b-b5e8-ee430833beef_570.Jpeg

Sunbather - 1966

I was totally stumped and ended up writing about five or six hundred words of complete and utter Grade A bollocks. I passed the NAB,

No wonder I ended up posting on the TAMB :ok:

About 10 years ago, I was involved - as a supplier - in a big IT project with a European bank.  This involved me going to Vienna once a month for a steering committee meeting.   The project was very challenging - understatement - and these meetings were often fraught and tense affairs. 

We were either in the boardroom or an ante room and in common with a lot of bank offices there was a fair bit of modern art on the walls.   In the ante room there was one particular piece which was a large canvas about 3m by 3m which was essentially a deep red crimson textured canvas.   I found this very disturbing and so I always tried to get a seat so it would be to my back.

We got the project over the line in the end and so the final wrap up meeting was very pleasant and they'd laid on a very buffet lunch in the ante room and a glass of wine before heading to the airport. 

I was speaking to someone from the client and mentioned to her that I found the painting disturbing and said that she'd knew the history of the project and how there had often been "blood on the walls" in some of those meetings.   I wasn't expecting the response which was "yes, it is blood, this is a famous Austrian artist who uses his own blood".

i was very glad that was the last time I was in that room.

it was a piece by this guy. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Nitsch

On 11/18/2018 at 5:15 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

In art & design class at school I had to write an essay on "the meaning" of these two paintings by Hockney 

Sunbather - 1966

I was totally stumped and ended up writing about five or six hundred words of complete and utter Grade A bollocks. I passed the NAB,

On 11/18/2018 at 5:15 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Sunbather - 1966

It looks like he has dived in then got out and he has lost his trunks.