Nations League latest - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League latest

21 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

England about to win their group

Pretty mad how one goal can swing a group so drastically!

Wasnt watching the game, but Harry Kane seems to have a knack of scoring when they need a goal.

29 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

jinxes

:lol:

we win one game, and I start thinking we can laugh at other countries.

So now England, Portugal and 2 more play for title in Portugal  next June. In theory same 4 could play in March 2020 playoffs too but surely all or almost all of 12 teams in division A will qualify by groups anyway. What happens if England,Spain and Croatia all qualify direct for Euro20 for example? Who would take the playoff place?

4 minutes ago, ironbrew said:

So now England, Portugal and 2 more play for title in Portugal  next June. In theory same 4 could play in March 2020 playoffs too but surely all or almost all of 12 teams in division A will qualify by groups anyway. What happens if England,Spain and Croatia all qualify direct for Euro20 for example? Who would take the playoff place?

doesn't seem right that england and portugal have been given a virtual bye till the semis. What do they do for the next year and a half?

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

doesn't seem right that england and portugal have been given a virtual bye till the semis. What do they do for the next year and a half?

They play in a normal group and if they qualify through that, the play off places drop down to the next team as far as they need to go to get a team that didn’t qualify through the “normal” groups.

So I suppose while this guarantees a pot c and d team qualify. It also acts as an insurance policy for pot a and b teams...

Being a bottom end team in pot B is probably the worst position to be in. You won’t qualify through nations league, so would need to win your group and you’ll have a pot A team in that....

So if we beat Israel and don’t go on to qualify it’s a missed opportunity.

49 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Get what you're saying but it would seem that as  as they're guaranteed a last four place to win the title they are just going through the motions by playing a in a normal group. If they lose them all they are still in the final four? Or am i missing something?

They’re only in the final 4 of the Nations League. 

39 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Oh I think i get it now.It's a different competition; I thought it was replacing qualification.

It’s effectively replacing the qualification slots that were available via the playoffs after the group stages, if that makes sense!!

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Being a bottom end team in pot B is probably the worst position to be in. You won’t qualify through nations league, so would need to win your group and you’ll have a pot A team in that...

Top 2 in each group qualify for the Euros.

Can see some foul play happening with this tbh. For example if Portugal win the Nations league A, it'd be in their interest to finish anywhere but first in their qualifying group. They will take the Nations league qualification spot and ensure no other 'A' team has a back up option if they slip up, meaning a bigger chance of one less 'A' team in the finals and a much easier ride for the teams in their group.

I was skeptical about the NL at first, but after watching the drama of England v Croatia & Switzerland v Belgium, I think it has real potential. If it were up to me though, I'd get the NL finals out of the way as early as possible and then form a 'qualifiers' qualifying group from the winners, with the final league positions determining which pot the teams would be in at the finals and no second chances for the other 'big' teams.

Edited by Ramtastic

34 minutes ago, Ramtastic said:

Can see some foul play happening with this tbh. For example if Portugal win the Nations league A, it'd be in their interest to finish anywhere but first in their qualifying group. They will take the Nations league qualification spot and ensure no other 'A' team has a back up option if they slip up, meaning a bigger chance of one less 'A' team in the finals and a much easier ride for the teams in their group.

I was skeptical about the NL at first, but after watching the drama of England v Croatia & Switzerland v Belgium, I think it has real potential. If it were up to me though, I'd get the NL finals out of the way as early as possible and then form a 'qualifiers' qualifying group from the winners, with the final league positions determining which pot the teams would be in at the finals and no second chances for the other 'big' teams.

That won't happen, because the final draw is seeded based on your performance in the qualifiers.

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Just noticed England's two goals today came from (once again) set pieces ...

And if we're being pernickety the first goal shouldn't have stood as the guy who took the throw ins foot was well over the line.  Unsurprisingly this wasn't picked up in the commentary!