Albania vs Scotland - Match Thread [17/11/2018] - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Albania vs Scotland - Match Thread [17/11/2018]

Clyde1998

Re: Robertson.

In top football, with the best managers and coaches, you are encouraged to pass more and dribble less. In top drawer football you stay economical and you keep to the percentages, and that equates to passing more, keeping it safe and simple and doing the basics. The best players and teams are the ones who dribble less and bomb aimlessly forward.

Just look at Ryan Fraser. I don't remember him with Aberdeen, but I bet that you dribbled a helluva lot more than he does now. He rarely dribbles, he keeps it economical and he does the smart thing by playing to the percentages. Because of this he's turning into a top player.

7 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hendry has played quite a few games there for Celtic and is right footed. McTominay would probably be fine as well. Paterson not on a yellow will do well enough. 

I’m sure Hendry has only played at RB for Celtic twice and one was as a sub at Ibrox when Celtic where controlling the match (although I could very well be wrong as I’m not a Celtic fan).

I’m sure he was an absolute bomb scare at RB in the other game. 

I don’t have a problem with Hendry and I’m sure he could develop into a very good centre half but I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the RB position for us at the moment unless there was genuinely no better option. 

Edited by Texas Pete

56 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m sure Hendry has only played at RB for Celtic twice and one was as a sub at Ibrox when Celtic where controlling the match (although I could very well be wrong as I’m not a Celtic fan).

I’m sure he was an absolute bomb scare at RB in the other game. 

I don’t have a problem with Hendry and I’m sure he could develop into a very good centre half but I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the RB position for us at the moment unless there was genuinely no better option. 

Well the squad is somewhat thin, and I’d play Paterson, but it’s not as ridiculous a suggestion as you think. No doubt in a few years those slating Hendry will be feeling like the Forrest bashers are now. I think back to Dave McPherson at right back, now that was ridiculous and yet he played numerous games there for Rangers. Hendry is quicker and better on the ball so could do an emergency job at RB if necessary.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

8632 according to the BBC. 

Looked a bit more than that to me but the ground only holds around 16,000 I think so it’s probably accurate. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

8632 according to the BBC. 

Looked a bit more than that to me but the ground only holds around 16,000 I think so it’s probably accurate. 

Thanks TP.

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Well the squad is somewhat thin, and I’d play Paterson, but it’s not as ridiculous a suggestion as you think. No doubt in a few years those slating Hendry will be feeling like the Forrest bashers are now. I think back to Dave McPherson at right back, now that was ridiculous and yet he played numerous games there for Rangers. Hendry is quicker and better on the ball so could do an emergency job at RB if necessary.

The Forrest bashers are still 100% correct in how they criticised his pish poor performances in a Scotland shirt, they’re also very happy that he finally put in one good performance. They’re also not get over excited by one good performance from him. 

9 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Ridiculous is a bit strong. I’d rather have Hendry at RB than McBurnie or someone obviously. Now that would be ridiculous.

The fact that McLeish went for Paterson , a guy that hasn’t played at RB for years, ahead of Hendry and refused to replace Paterson with him when he was exposed after the booking speaks volumes though.

26 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Ridiculous is a bit strong. I’d rather have Hendry at RB than McBurnie or someone obviously. Now that would be ridiculous.

The fact that McLeish went for Paterson , a guy that hasn’t played at RB for years, ahead of Hendry and refused to replace Paterson with him when he was exposed after the booking speaks volumes though.

Hendry may well turn into a top defender but he isn't one just now. He shouldn't be near the Scotland squad just now and it shows how poor our options are just now. 

This also goes for Bates, before anybody thinks I'm just against the Celtic player. 

Playing Hendry at RB is a nightmare choice that we hopefully don't have to make. 

44 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yes, but McPherson was a solid defender, something Hendry isn't yet. 

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

Re: Robertson.

In top football, with the best managers and coaches, you are encouraged to pass more and dribble less. In top drawer football you stay economical and you keep to the percentages, and that equates to passing more, keeping it safe and simple and doing the basics. The best players and teams are the ones who dribble less and bomb aimlessly forward.

Just look at Ryan Fraser. I don't remember him with Aberdeen, but I bet that you dribbled a helluva lot more than he does now. He rarely dribbles, he keeps it economical and he does the smart thing by playing to the percentages. Because of this he's turning into a top player.

Yeah, I always look for my players to stop dribbling and just "bomb aimlessly forward" myself.  😂

29 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Yeah, I always look for my players to stop dribbling and just "bomb aimlessly forward" myself.  😂

Dribbling is a dying art in the modern game.

I'd rather my players be intelligent and go forward when it's wise to do so. You think "aimlessly" is a good thing? Look it up in a dictionary.

Are you one of these people who think that players should pump the ball aimlessly into the box, at any opportunity, because the law of averages dictate that there'll be a goal scoring chance? This is the brainless thinking that holds Scottish football back. Keeping the ball intelligently, probing away, making the ball do the work, shifting the opposition till there's a chance to strike? Nah! Just kick it into the box. Yeah, that attitude is worthy of a crying smiley... minus the laughing.

Look at Spain, Manchester City, Barcelona, etc. These teams pass the opposition to death, and the dribbling is kept to the bare minimum.

There was a stat on Sky a few weeks ago that show that Raheem Stirling's dribbling has went way down from his Liverpool days and yet he's become more lethal as far as assists and scoring. He's attributed his improvement on less dribbling and more passing and moving. In his final season he played 32 EPL matches, with 7 assists and 7 goals. This season he's played 10 EPL matches, 6 goals and 5 assists.

Maybe you should actually try understanding the game a little more.

Edited by Chripper

look pal.. i was just highlighting that your original point didnt make any sense, was pretty comical and probably wasnt what you intended to say.

I'm a professional youth coach, so probably understand the game well enough.

Sorry you misunderstood my post and wasted all that time replying. Lets try and keep it civil, eh?

36 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

look pal.. i was just highlighting that your original point didnt make any sense, was pretty comical and probably wasnt what you intended to say.

Sorry you misunderstood my post and wasted all that time replying. Lets try and keep it civil, eh?

Nah, it didn't waste my time at all. I'm a writer so it's good practice.

OK. :)

20 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hendry has played quite a few games there for Celtic and is right footed. McTominay would probably be fine as well. Paterson not on a yellow will do well enough. 

Playing right back for Celtic is not exactly a glowing endorsement (see Lustig). I'd definitely have Shinnie over Hendry.  Paterson will start though. 

10 hours ago, COLT NY said:

:lol:

I haven't noticed too many real WOOSH moments on here recently but that was a cracker.:ok: 

Albania are nowhere near as bad as their two performances against us suggested.

All ifs and buts of course, but their captain was more interested in starting a blood feud with Ryan Christie last weekend.

Which helped to make the game more comfortable for us than it otherwise might have been.