Albania vs Scotland - Match Thread [17/11/2018] - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Albania vs Scotland - Match Thread [17/11/2018]

Clyde1998

1 minute ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

"Home playoff game". So if I am reading this correctly, it is a one off game, no second leg. And it will be at Hampden. Great if this is correct. Cheers. 

Aye but we still need to win two games. It's just that they will be against two different teams. Semi final then a final.

3 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Will 11 on the park, Albania would have caused a lot more bother (obviously) and seemed to target that side. I don't remember Robertson having to defend much at all on the left.   Israel will try as well.

If Tierney isn't coming back, we'll need to give Patterson some cover I think.   At least try to cut off supply of long balls up their left wing and not leave him one-on-one.

They didn’t cause us that much bother before the sending off. 

Really can't see any point in that post,

Wish that McBurnie had come on instead of Phillips(who I see as more completion/cover for Forrest) was the chance to give the youngster some more competitive minutes at international level. McBurnie could be a big player for us in the future.

Good experience for him Fraser, McTominay and Bates to be involved in a competitive international double header any way.

5 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

"Home playoff game". So if I am reading this correctly, it is a one off game, no second leg. And it will be at Hampden. Great if this is correct. Cheers. 

It will be at Hampden as long as we finish first or second in League C. In order to do that we will need to win our group and have more points (or at least a better goal difference) than at least 2 of the other group winners. 

The venue for the playoff final will be decided by drawing lots. This will happen before the first playoff ties are played I believe. If we get lucky we could have both playoff ties at home. This is assuming that we actually need a playoff in the first place and that we we win the first playoff.

Maybe we should just worry about beating Israel first and then try and work it all out. 😂

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It will be at Hampden as long as we finish first or second in League C. In order to do that we will need to win our group and have more points (or at least a better goal difference) than at least 2 of the other group winners. 

The venue for the playoff final will be decided by drawing lots. This will happen before the first playoff ties are played I believe. If we get lucky we could have both playoff ties at home. This is assuming that we actually need a playoff in the first place and that we we win the first playoff.

Maybe we should just worry about beating Israel first and then try and work it all out. 😂

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Ok then. I'm royaly confused now mate. Keep winning we qaulify. Easy. 😁

1 minute ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Here I go again. I'm thick as fuck. So... We win on Tuesday, we are guaranteed a playoff even if we do not finish in the top 2 in our upcoming qualifying round. Please tell me I am some what correct. Ma heid is spinning. 🤣

Correct. You're getting there.:ok:

3 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Here I go again. I'm thick as fuck. So... We win on Tuesday, we are guaranteed a playoff even if we do not finish in the top 2 in our upcoming qualifying round. Please tell me I am some what correct. Ma heid is spinning. 🤣

Honestly I'm not trying to confuse you any more,:lol: but if we finish in the top 2 of our Euro 2020 qualifying group we won't need to use our play off place as we will have qualified automatically. We will only need to use the play off spot if we finish outside the top 2.

We need to beat Israel first though and that won't be easy. Israel only need a draw. And better teams than us have struggled to score against them in the recent past.

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Honestly I'm not trying to confuse you any more,:lol: but if we finish in the top 2 of our Euro 2020 qualifying group we won't need to use our play off place as we will have qualified automatically. We will only need to use the play off spot if we finish outside the top 2.

We need to beat Israel first though and that won't be easy. Israel only need a draw. And better teams than us have struggled to score against them in the recent past.

Wahayyyy. Got it pal. Only took 9 posts to figure it out. Cheers big man. 😁

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ramy has asked me to ask you this as he still disny really understand and although I know the answer I am just checking.

🤥

If we win on Tuesday we have 2 play offs, one definitely at home and another which may or may not be at home ? 

Or is it just one play off ? 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Ramy has asked me to ask you this as he still disny really understand and although I know the answer I am just checking.

🤥

If we win on Tuesday we have 2 play offs, one definitely at home and another which may or may not be at home ? 

Aye, something like that. 😁

52 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Was it not more of a 4-1-4-1

Which is only one holding spot, but anyway, wouldn't change the personnel

I thought it was more the current Celtic set up with McGregor and Christie deeper and Armstrong ahead. It’s odd that it works because neither is an obvious defensive player in terms of protecting the back 4. Both get forward as well, especially Christie  last night and in that formation v Leipzig and Hearts recently where he has made big contributions.

Whatever, it worked last night and I wouldn’t change any of the line up for Tuesday. 

I do think Paterson struggled and also possibly isn’t the answer at RB longer term but then I don’t know who is?

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

🤥

It will be two playoff matches if we win the first one. It’s effectively a semi finals and final situation between the four group winners (unless one or more if the group winners qualify next year). 

The first one would only be at home if we finish at least second overall in League C. We should do that with a win given our superior goal difference. 

16 minutes ago, Bino's said:

If the final play off venue is also decided on ranking places

We will almost certainly be against Serbia in Belgrade surely

If we get there and if they haven't already qualified

The second venue is decided by a draw, not overall ranking so it’s pot luck as to where that will be played.

Not sure what you’re basing Serbia being ranked higher than us on though. If we beat Israel we will be ranked higher than them in the final standings. 

Serbia have 8 points and their last game against Lithuania won’t count as they are already relegated. If we beat Israel we will have 9 points. 

We could easily have Serbia at Hampden in the first playoff match. 

Good result last night. Good til see Forrest play well, hopefully that's just the start of things to come and we see more of his Celtic form in a Scotland shirt. Frasers finish was good, hopefully we see him play more and keep injury free. Guy could play for a top 6 EPL team imo. Bates was a positive as well. We shouldn't get too confident though as Albania are a poor team and were down to ten men most of the match. Hopefully McLeish sticks to this team selection for the future. 

26 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I thought it was more the current Celtic set up with McGregor and Christie deeper and Armstrong ahead. It’s odd that it works because neither is an obvious defensive player in terms of protecting the back 4. Both get forward as well, especially Christie  last night and in that formation v Leipzig and Hearts recently where he has made big contributions.

Whatever, it worked last night and I wouldn’t change any of the line up for Tuesday. 

I do think Paterson struggled and also possibly isn’t the answer at RB longer term but then I don’t know who is?

I think Hendry is suited to right back. Quick, likes to come forward