Albania vs Scotland - Match Thread [17/11/2018] - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Albania vs Scotland - Match Thread [17/11/2018]

Clyde1998

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Fantastic result, totally unexpected.

great to see Fraser and Forrest transfer that club form on to the national team. 

Aye. Albania didn't know how to handle them - they looked right up for it last night and appeared to have no fear.

1 minute ago, macy37 said:

My mates? No I’m just simply asking to see the clip that dozens of folk on SM, none that are mates by the way, are saying. 

So, to answer the question, no. 

Point stands. Wanky to try to pick points with how someone looks/sounds after they have managed the team to a 4-0 win whoever they are.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Point stands. Wanky to try to pick points with how someone looks/sounds after they have managed the team to a 4-0 win whoever they are.

Exactly, the guy is 60 and gets his words mixed up now and then, I’m 44 and struggle to remember what I had for breakfast. Bobby Robson couldn’t remember certain players names but I don’t remember him getting the same level of ridicule.

Edited by Rab The Crab
Addition

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As someone who contributes towards his salary I’m interested to see just how pished he actually was. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Finland and Norway both play their last games before we do, so at least we will know before our kick off exactly what we need to do. 

Pretty sure any victory for us will be enough? I hope.:unsure:

Any victory should be enough but we’ve been stung by goal difference before.  

As long as we win then Finland or Norway would both need to win by at least 5 clear goals to worry us I think. We would need to win by more than one goal if that happened. 

In all honesty I will just be happy if we win on Tuesday regardless of what happens elsewhere. We will be very unlucky not to have secured a home tie in the first playoff if we do that. 

McLeish did not sound great in his post match interview but I personally dont think he has sounded great in any of his interviews.

That doesnt however mean there is something wrong with him,  he is not being paid for the quality of his articulation on TV and Radio.

As Craig says,  lets concentrate on the result. 

Is ‘articulation ‘ a word ? 🤫 

Edited by TDYER63

Just now, macy37 said:

Hey if he keeps winning I’ll personally supply him with his special brew.

Exactly. That is all that matters. I have seen stacks of managers in my time who do not come across well in post-match interviews but they get results. Others come across great and don't. Results on the pitch matters post-match appearance/comments don't as long as we get the win.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

We've had games since where victory would take us closer to qualifying.  In Slovenia last year for example.

Debatable I suppose. 

If we had won in Slovenia we would have had a playoff but it could have been against a team that’s much better than who we’ll face if we reach the 2020 playoffs. 

Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Denmark would all have murdered us and are all tougher than Serbia, Norway, Bulgaria or Finland. 

If we win on Tuesday (and barring Finland and Norway scoring a barrowload in their last games) we will have the best chance of qualifying for a major tournament in years as we will have a home playoff against a team of a similar standard to us in the first tie and who knows, maybe a home tie in the last one as well if we get lucky in the draw. 

Tuesday night’s game is massive and more important than the game in Slovenia in my opinion. Hopefully the Scottish public agree with me and get aff their arses and get down to Mount Florida on Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I remember that under Strachan when we had a heavily stacked core of Celtic players in midfield the club understanding they had helped them perform as a well-oiled unit. I think the same happened last night I felt. For Tuesday I'd go with the same starting line-up.

Ideally I would go with the same 11 apart from Paterson at right back. He did OK I suppose but I’d rather have someone who plays at RB for their club. 

Only problem is we don’t have one in the squad so unless McLeish calls someone else up (who though?) then I guess it will need to be Paterson. 

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Eh?

You know we won tonight don’t you? 

If we win on Tuesday we’ll be on 9 points with Israel on 6. If Israel win they’ll have 9 and we’ll have 6. If we draw Israel will top the group on head to head  

I’ve said this elsewhere but the ignorance of the permutations of our group is ridiculous. 

Ffs aye, thinking too much about it!! Way to make a cunt o masel! I'm usually all over the perms type scenarios. I'm in Australia, that's my excuse 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Ideally I would go with the same 11 apart from Paterson at right back. He did OK I suppose but I’d rather have someone who plays at RB for their club. 

Only problem is we don’t have one in the squad so unless McLeish calls someone else up (who though?) then I guess it will need to be Paterson. 

That is the problem - there is no other options just now barring going all retro and get Alan Hutton in for a game. I think Paterson did better in the second half and more than anything he was troubled by Ghezeda's pace.

31 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Exactly, the guy is 60 and gets his words mixed up now and then, I’m 44 and struggle to remember what I had for breakfast. Bobby Robson couldn’t remember certain players names but I don’t remember him getting the same level of ridicule.

Bobby Robson was a much better manager than McLeish 

45 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

38 minutes ago, macy37 said:

As someone who contributes towards his salary I’m interested to see just how pished he actually was. 

There’s a rumour going around that McLeish will resign on Tuesday night due to ill health. 

Maybe folk should wait until they hear the facts before accusing someone (who actually isn’t a big drinker unless something has changed fairly recently) of being an alky. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

There’s a rumour going around that McLeish will resign on Tuesday night due to ill health. 

Maybe folk should wait until they hear the facts before accusing someone (who actually isn’t a big drinker unless something has changed fairly recently) of being an alky. 

Said to the Mrs last night that he didn't look to well. Hope if rumour is correct that he is ok.

38 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

McLeish did not sound great in his post match interview but I personally dont think he has sounded great in any of his interviews.

That doesnt however mean there is something wrong with him,  he is not being paid for the quality of his articulation on TV and Radio.

As Craig says,  lets concentrate on the result. 

Is ‘articulation ‘ a word ? 🤫 

Yes - it's to do with the clear pronunciation of consonants - as opposed to 'enunciation' which refers more to vowels.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That is the problem - there is no other options just now barring going all retro and get Alan Hutton in for a game. I think Paterson did better in the second half and more than anything he was troubled by Ghezeda's pace.

It’s clear Israel will target Paterson on Tuesday.

Assume Tierney is out of the Israel game too?

Didn’t think it was clear if all the pull outs were for both games. 

Think McLeish should have brought Shinnie/Hendry on to play RB when we were more than comfortable in the 2nd half. Would be an unnatural position for either of them but I’m not convinced Paterson is any better than them there. 30 mins in this game would have been a good indication though. 

If he were to call anyone up it would have to be Palmer at Sheffield Wed or Naismith at Peterborough. But I don’t think it it’s the best time to give anyone their debut in such a vital game. 

Could really have done with Jack being fit.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Grezda left him for dead a couple of times. He was on a tightrope due to the early booking I suppose but he’s being asked to play a position that he hasn’t really played for years (as far as I’m aware). He’s bound to be rusty. 

I suppose he’s got 90 minutes under his belt at RB now and he was tested so hopefully he’ll be feeling confident for Tuesday. 

I am hoping Israel don’t cause us too many problems on Tuesday night although that’s probably wishful thinking. 

If nothing else, Paterson could be switched to play as an extra striker if needed to help get a late winner? 

I thought Alan Hutton had retired from international football. I'm not sure Danny McGrain ever ruled himself out  though?

Edited by exile

50 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Debatable I suppose. 

If we had won in Slovenia we would have had a playoff but it could have been against a team that’s much better than who we’ll face if we reach the 2020 playoffs. 

Switzerland, Italy, Croatia and Denmark would all have murdered us and are all tougher than Serbia, Norway, Bulgaria or Finland. 

If we win on Tuesday (and barring Finland and Norway scoring a barrowload in their last games) we will have the best chance of qualifying for a major tournament in years as we will have a home playoff against a team of a similar standard to us in the first tie and who knows, maybe a home tie in the last one as well if we get lucky in the draw. 

Tuesday night’s game is massive and more important than the game in Slovenia in my opinion. Hopefully the Scottish public agree with me and get aff their arses and get down to Mount Florida on Tuesday. 

"Home playoff game". So if I am reading this correctly, it is a one off game, no second leg. And it will be at Hampden. Great if this is correct. Cheers. 

Will 11 on the park, Albania would have caused a lot more bother (obviously) and seemed to target that side. I don't remember Robertson having to defend much at all on the left.   Israel will try as well.

If Tierney isn't coming back, we'll need to give Patterson some cover I think.   At least try to cut off supply of long balls up their left wing and not leave him one-on-one.