Albania vs Scotland - Match Thread [17/11/2018] - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Albania vs Scotland - Match Thread [17/11/2018]

Clyde1998

10 minutes ago, Bino's said:

So is this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League#Tiebreakers_for_group_ranking

And what they were saying on radio Scotland incorrect then

Look at the table now. Israel are top - courtesy of head to head against us and that is how it will remain if we only draw on Tuesday. 

Superb win tonight. Really pleased with the result and performance.

The nonsense about the system not mattering is absolute bollocks. We looked a lot more comfortable in 4-2-3-1 as we have for a number of years now.

Restoring Stuart Armstrong to the midfield helps us move the ball more quickly and positively, as Armstrong is brave on the ball and sets a high tempo that breaks down poorer teams. Fraser and Forrest were outstanding out wide, absolutely outstanding. They exploited the spaces between wing backs and left and right centre backs all night to great effect.

Christie made a solid performance once again. Fletcher did well and although Griffiths will likely always be first choice, Fletcher showed why he was started ahead of McBurnie.

Only thing to change would be to restore KT at right back when he returns as Paterson looked uncomfortable there at times tonight.

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

Looks like a 4-5-1

McGregor

Paterson. Bates. McKenna. Robertson

Forrest. McGregor. Armstrong. Fraser

Christie

Fletcher

I hope I'm wrong, but Albania are going to win this. Probably by two clear goals. We're too fragile down the middle, and the middle of midfield isn't tough enough.

:oops:

1 hour ago, JECK said:

well done Ryan Christie, potential star in the making 

I thought that 18 months ago. Seen him play against Partick Th at the end of last season when he was at Aberdeen on loan and he stuck out like a sore thumb.

2 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Superb win tonight. Really pleased with the result and performance.

The nonsense about the system not mattering is absolute bollocks. We looked a lot more comfortable in 4-2-3-1 as we have for a number of years now.

Restoring Stuart Armstrong to the midfield helps us move the ball more quickly and positively, as Armstrong is brave on the ball and sets a high tempo that breaks down poorer teams. Fraser and Forrest were outstanding out wide, absolutely outstanding. They exploited the spaces between wing backs and left and right centre backs all night to great effect.

Christie made a solid performance once again. Fletcher did well and although Griffiths will likely always be first choice, Fletcher showed why he was started ahead of McBurnie.

Only thing to change would be to restore KT at right back when he returns as Paterson looked uncomfortable there at times tonight.

Completely agree.

One player you didn't mention was McGregor. He's been great playing in the 2 of the 4231 for Celtic, and was good for us tonight. 

It makes a huge difference when the defence can play the ball to a midfielder who you know can keep the ball and pass it on. McGinn has been found wanting in that regard for Scotland. McGregor might not be as good a ballwinner as McGinn, but his instinct for breaking up the opponents play seems just as good, if not better.

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Look at the table now. Israel are top - courtesy of head to head against us and that is how it will remain if we only draw on Tuesday. 

I've been confused by sportsound

A 1-0 win and a home semi will do just fine anyway

I believe in that midfield

8 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Completely agree.

One player you didn't mention was McGregor. He's been great playing in the 2 of the 4231 for Celtic, and was good for us tonight. 

It makes a huge difference when the defence can play the ball to a midfielder who you know can keep the ball and pass it on. McGinn has been found wanting in that regard for Scotland. McGregor might not be as good a ballwinner as McGinn, but his instinct for breaking up the opponents play seems just as good, if not better.

McGinn should not be coming back into those holding spots ahead of McGregor or Armstrong

They are both comfortable on the ball

Guest ElChris04

Don’t know where to start we where Phenomenal form start to finish. Like I’ve said on here I really don’t rate Mcleish and quite frankly wanted him sacked, but looks like he’s finally swallowed his pride and used the most obvious formation that is best for us.

Forrest was phenomenal deserved his hat trick. 

Fraser was quality and that extra class we need 

Christie was outstanding with his passing and control

McGregor was as usual our unsung hero. Absolute workhorse dictating the midfield and making the crucial runs back 

Bates was quality and had a solid debut just unlucky about costImg Forrest his hat trick lol 

but overall we look like a team again. We have found our best team and system. Just need Tierney Back for that right back since the only negative was Paterson for me who let greza slip past him to many times, also Griff aswell as we all know he’s our most clinical striker, but yeah. Overall outstanding performance.. don’t want to get ahead off ourselves but if the players can believe in there ability  and carry it on until the next game who knows where we can go! All in all brilliant game 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Don’t know where to start we where Phenomenal form start to finish. Like I’ve said on here I really don’t rate Mcleish and quite frankly wanted him sacked, but looks like he’s finally swallowed his pride and used the most obvious formation that is best for us.

Forrest was phenomenal deserved his hat trick. 

Fraser was quality and that extra class we need 

Christie was outstanding with his passing and control

McGregor was as usual our unsung hero. Absolute workhorse dictating the midfield and making the crucial runs back 

Bates was quality and had a solid debut just unlucky about costImg Forrest his hat trick lol 

but overall we look like a team again. We have found our best team and system. Just need Tierney Back for that right back since the only negative was Paterson for me who let greza slip past him to many times, also Griff aswell as we all know he’s our most clinical striker, but yeah. Overall outstanding performance.. don’t want to get ahead off ourselves but if the players can believe in there ability  and carry it on until the next game who knows where we can go! All in all brilliant game 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Paterson warrants a place in our squad, just not at right back unless ABSOLUTELY needed. Tierney at right back would be great on top of the performance today, Steven Fletcher played his role excellently. 

8 minutes ago, Bino's said:

I've been confused by sportsound

A 1-0 win and a home semi will do just fine anyway

I believe in that midfield

What did they say on sportsound?

We need to win on Tuesday. Any win will do. 

Anything other than a win and Israel win the group.

Guest ElChris04
3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Paterson warrants a place in our squad, just not at right back unless ABSOLUTELY needed. Tierney at right back would be great on top of the performance today, Steven Fletcher played his role excellently. 

Yep agreed. Paterson is still useful just not at right back. Tierney is our missing link in defence. But yeah fletcher was decent to tonight done exactly what we needed from him and al even admit he would probably have been one off the last names I would have called in but it’s good to see he proved myself and many other skeptical fans wrong. Compared to McBurnie it was a class performance. 

Edited by ElChris04

Lets just settle this for everyone, regardless on what you read or hear anywhere, Tuesday is MUST win for us to top the group, qualify for the Euro 2020 play off, most likely be seeded in the League C play off AND deep breath get promoted to the UEFA Nations League 2020-21 ..League B and get increased prize money for the League C win.

There is allot at stake, but we can handle it. 

52 minutes ago, Bino's said:

So is this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League#Tiebreakers_for_group_ranking

And what they were saying on radio Scotland incorrect then

The link you have posted confirms what Craig was saying. If we’re tied on points it will come down to the points won between   us and Israel. If it’s a draw then Israel will have taken four points to our one and will top the group.

Not sure what they said on Radio Scotland but if it was Willie Miller it was probably wrong. 

5 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Lets just settle this for everyone, regardless on what you read or hear anywhere, Tuesday is MUST win for us to top the group, qualify for the Euro 2020 play off, most likely be seeded in the League C play off AND deep breath get promoted to the UEFA Nations League 2020-21 ..League B and get increased prize money for the League C win.

9 points will guarantee a home play off in the semi final. Finland are the only other League C team that can get 9 points.

7 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Not directed at you personally, but of course it's must win, it's Israel at home FFS. Great result tonight, but I fear it just papers over the cracks. Hope I'm wrong, but seen it before

44 minutes ago, runningtings said:

Of course we won't get carried away, though I now wish I had gone to Albania to be honest.

Anyway, sets us up for a big night on Tuesday, at least that's no a dead rubber.

Wouldn’t have been a dead rubber even if Albania had won tonight. 

A win against Israel could still have seen us top the group depending on goal difference.

I really don’t get the confusion around the permutations of this group.  

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

9 points will guarantee a home play off in the semi final. Finland are the only other League C team that can get 9 points.

I’m sure Norway can also get 9 points. 

Our goal difference is far better than Finland’s or Norway’s GD though so they would both need to score a shit load in their last games to finish above us if we all win our last games. 

Edited by Texas Pete

10 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Not directed at you personally, but of course it's must win, it's Israel at home FFS. Great result tonight, but I fear it just papers over the cracks. Hope I'm wrong, but seen it before

There are still plenty of cracks. Beating Albania away from home doesn’t suddenly make us a great team. 

What it does do is give us a bit of much needed confidence going in to a must win match against a team we should really be beating at home.

I’m confident we’ll beat Israel on Tuesday and win the group. That still wouldn’t make us a great team but it would be job done and we could look forward to the qualifiers knowing a playoff was in the bag and could play with a bit of freedom for a change.  

Both Norway and Finland are currently sitting on +2 GD, so assuming we win we would be +6 at a minimum - therefore Norway and Finland both need to win by 4 goals or more to be even or best us. I can't see Finland doing that against Hungary, Norway v Cyprus seems unlikely also.

Oh the joys of back of the napkin Math's when it comes to Scotland. 

And before any soor plum comes along - yes of course if we don't win then its all for nought unless Israel qualify through the regular channel and their birth would pass to us. We would not be seeded though - I have no idea how the seeding would be handled should any of the play off...ers qualify through the regular group. 

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Our goal difference is far better than Finland’s or Norway’s GD though so they would both need to score a shit load in their last games to finish above us if we all win our last games. 

Edited by romanticscot

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Oh aye, so they can. Just as well we humped Albania.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

That 60% stat. is a mistake...

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

It is? According to sky it was 60/40.

58% according to the BBC. 

Whether it’s 58% or 60% or even 99% maters not a jot though. Only thing that matters is the score line. 

Albania may have had the majority of the ball but they did hee-haw with it. 

Counter attack football is the best way to play away from home. We have lost plenty of home games after having the lion’s share of possession.