Victory shield - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Victory shield

Bobby Russell's Lovechild

3 hours ago, henry george said:

What's worrying is that we're the only country not to win it since England quit the competition.  Hardly a ringing endorsement of the SFA performance school regime.

I'm not sure it's that simple.

I've not seen any of the matches but I'm much more concerned about getting the best players playing the right way rather than filling youth teams with boys with beards and bullying better, less physically developed players.

It's always good to win but at 16 it isn't the most important thing.

We were unbeaten this year which is probably worth noting. 

On 11/17/2018 at 12:26 AM, PASTA Mick said:

I've not seen any of the matches but I'm much more concerned about getting the best players playing the right way rather than filling youth teams with boys with beards and bullying better, less physically developed players.

Yeah, I'm much more interested in how the team are being set up to play and whether they are improving technically.

If we're playing teams who are more physical at that age then it can be difficult to match up to them. That will obviously change in time and in 3-4 years these players will catch up physically but should in theory be better technically, at which point we should begin to see that show in terms of results.

I was more concerned with the recent U17 qualifiers where we supposedly looked pretty poor, but it may be a similar situation. We qualified for the Elite Round so we'll see how we progress there.

The U19's look in a decent place to get through to the Elite Round in their qualifying. Won their 2 games so far and play Sweden tomorrow. Sweden would probably need to beat us 3 or 4-0 to finish ahead of us and even then Wales would have to do the same to San Marino.

On 11/17/2018 at 12:26 AM, PASTA Mick said:

This. Didn't we get to the final of Euro U19s on year in the mid-2000s and hardly anyone from that squad actually made it to the first team. Ensuring that our players are playing well and are ready for full internationals in the future is the most important thing at this age.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:56 AM, Clyde1998 said:

This. Didn't we get to the final of Euro U19s on year in the mid-2000s and hardly anyone from that squad actually made it to the first team. Ensuring that our players are playing well and are ready for full internationals in the future is the most important thing at this age.

Yes, and here's the Wikipedia page with the match summary and lineups https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship#Final.

A couple of interesting names in there like Lee Wallace and Graham Dorrans (who scored). Mark Reynolds and Calum Elliot too. Interestingly Michael McGlinchey went on to play 52 times for New Zealand! Spain had a couple of promising lads by the name of Mata and Pique.