To top the group is a win any better than a draw ? - Albania V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

To top the group is a win any better than a draw ?

WeeJohnny

Dinnae get me wrong, always want us to win everything but just been scratching my heid on the rules 're level on points (as we would be with Israel if we win in Albania). I reckon we'd not qualify with a draw against Israel ? So purely from perspective of winning the group no difference draw or win ? (And before someone says I'm being negative - no I'm no suggestin we play for a draw!). 

12 hours ago, WeeJohnny said:

Dinnae get me wrong, always want us to win everything but just been scratching my heid on the rules 're level on points (as we would be with Israel if we win in Albania). I reckon we'd not qualify with a draw against Israel ? So purely from perspective of winning the group no difference draw or win ? (And before someone says I'm being negative - no I'm no suggestin we play for a draw!). 

We need to beat Israel no matter what happens in Albania.

The result in Albania will determine how many goals we need to beat Israel by at Hampden. If we get 1 or 3 points in Albania then any victory over Israel will see us win the group. If we lose 3-0 (or worse) in Albania that brings Albania back into contention and we would need to beat Israel by at least 3 goals. 

Away goals might also come into play. So far we are the only team to score an away goal. Another one (or two even) in Albania would be very handy.

One interesting combination of results would be if we lost 1-0 in Albania and beat Israel 2-1 we would be dead level with Israel and it would go down to disciplinary record. I think we are currently on 6 points and Israel are on 5. We have two games to play to their one so we are probably more likely to pick more cautions than them. So I think Israel would win that one.

The bottom line is though, that we need two wins to get home advantage in the first play off semi final. 7 points probably won't be enough for that.

Edited by Orraloon

I am a wee bit more confident for this game than I usually am for away games. Albania know that they need to win by a good few goals. If we could somehow manage to score first, they would then need to score 4. Maybe their confidence and enthusiasm might drain a wee bit and we might hold on to a scrappy 0-1 win?

That would do for me.

We would still need to beat Israel though.