Scottish Football TV Deal - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Football TV Deal

The only thing that is decent about the deal is that all the league games will be with one provider again. Of you're only really interested in Scottish Football it means you can ditch one subscription. 

Would have much preferred BT to have gotten the rights, I wonder what their offer was. 

£100m for 5 years is buttons compared to what Sky paid the EFL for rights to the Championship etc for 5 years. I'm sure that's nearly £600m,although that gives them access to many more games. 

It was spun weeks ago that it was £100 million for three years. If it is actually the same figure for five years, it's utterly pathetic from Doncaster and his staff, yet again. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

It was spun weeks ago that it was £100 million for three years. If it is actually the same figure for five years, it's utterly pathetic from Doncaster and his staff, yet again. 

If you believe our game as a product is worth more you’re thicker than I thought.

More £ = good

Sky Sports production and effort = bad

I only have btsport = bad

I genuinely think a Scottish football tv channel would be a viable product. League, cups, play offs, U21, men and women internationals plus documentaries, indepth programmes etc. 

Edited by Alan

I don't do subscription TV on general principle, so this deal (reducing the number of televised games from 60 to 48 per season) will mean less disruption for myself and other fans that actually go to games.

5 minutes ago, min said:

I don't do subscription TV on general principle, so this deal (reducing the number of televised games from 60 to 48 per season) will mean less disruption for myself and other fans that actually go to games.

as much as I hate saying it, we need as much exposure as possible for the whole game here, this deal is not anywhere near as good as what Doncaster says it is. The coverage by sky is embarrassing because it purely focuses on two teams so its even less exposure for the rest.

33 minutes ago, Alan said:

More £ = good

I genuinely think a Scottish football tv channel would be a viable product. League, cups, play offs, U21, men and women internationals plus documentaries, indepth programmes etc. 

I agree with this, this way we are not at the mercy of a broadcaster who will always put us behind their main product.

I think BTSport do an excellent job of promoting our game.  In depth analysis, good pundits (Sutton, McCoist and Craigan), decent coverage and overall enjoyable entertainment.  Switch that to Kris Boyd, Kris Commons and Andy Walker FFS. A definitive no thanks from me.  The Sky Advert says it all.  Only interested in two (arguably one) teams. Another myopic decision from Doncaster. Surprised the "figures" have been released to be honest.....

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

as much as I hate saying it, we need as much exposure as possible for the whole game here, this deal is not anywhere near as good as what Doncaster says it is. The coverage by sky is embarrassing because it purely focuses on two teams so its even less exposure for the rest.

I agree about the exposure and I'm ok with the new Scottish Cup deal increasing the amount of free to air live matches to 11 games per season - particularly giving more coverage to the earlier rounds. The best way to boost exposure would be to have a prime-time Saturday evening in-depth highlights / analysis programme on free to air, not by disadvantaging fans who go to games.

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

BBC are now reporting that it's £160m over the 5 years which is better and more in line with the £100m over 3 years.

3 hours ago, Alan said:

More £ = good

sensible post by Alan alert  😉

30 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

BBC are now reporting that it's £160m over the 5 years which is better and more in line with the £100m over 3 years.

Hopefully that is more accurate. Details were suspiciously sketchy on the announcement press release. 

20 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Why is it nobody is having a pop at BT for undervaluing the product? Their bid essentially gave Sky the package.

BT seem to be pulling out of Sport. They've lost UFC, Serie A, Champions League and now the SPFL. They also didn't jump on the La Liga rights which went ridiculously cheaply. 

A shame as their SPFL coverage is excellent. 

15 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Hopefully that is more accurate. Details were suspiciously sketchy on the announcement press release. 

BT seem to be pulling out of Sport. They've lost UFC, Serie A, Champions League and now the SPFL. They also didn't jump on the La Liga rights which went ridiculously cheaply. 

A shame as their SPFL coverage is excellent. 

I think BT still have the Champions League rights up until 2021.

They certainly do seem to be scaling down too, which is a shame. Their coverage of most stuff was pretty good.

5 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

They are apparently going up for renewal next year again for 2021/2022 onwards.

I'd be amazed if that goes any higher than it currently is. Hopefully someone like ITV comes in with a joint bid with someone to ensure that we have at least some games on council telly; would be great to have the Europa League back on ITV/Channel 5 too.

35 minutes ago, Alan said:

BT have Champs League up to 2021.  Has someone else got rights after that?

25 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I think BT still have the Champions League rights up until 2021.

They certainly do seem to be scaling down too, which is a shame. Their coverage of most stuff was pretty good.

20 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

They are apparently going up for renewal next year again for 2021/2022 onwards.

Apologies. I must've imagined Sky winning them back. :lol: