Scottish Football TV Deal - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Football TV Deal

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Doesn't bother me, I go to the games. If it's gonna be on TV I'd rather we sold it to the higher bidder.

I go to games too but I like watching other Scottish teams on the tele. I won’t be getting Premier Sports so just more games I’m going to miss unfortunately. 

Don't know the details as have only seem snippets on Twitter and I don't know the current deal for sake of comparison.  However, the new TV deal seems to suggest that old firm semi finals and finals are rewarded with bigger pots of cash than if both don't make to a semi or final.  I'm sure there's an upside, but is this not rather alarming at first view?  Hoping someone here has more info and can explain this a bit better......

5 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Don't know the details as have only seem snippets on Twitter and I don't know the current deal for sake of comparison.  However, the new TV deal seems to suggest that old firm semi finals and finals are rewarded with bigger pots of cash than if both don't make to a semi or final.  I'm sure there's an upside, but is this not rather alarming at first view?  Hoping someone here has more info and can explain this a bit better......

If there's any truth in that, scottish football is done and my club can go fuck itself if they agreed to it

24 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If there's any truth in that, scottish football is done and my club can go fuck itself if they agreed to it

Surely that can’t be the case.

If so, the baws burst.

Guest faircity
22 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I for one am looking forward to sky again. Better coverage and more money for the clubs. Kris Boyd is early in commentary but his experience when talking is invauble. Loiking forward to his testmonial at rugby park against the rangers legends. Hope it a 50/50 split.

The final proof that you aren't actually a pish stained jaikie, you've been guising all this time. Even the world's biggest spangle couldn't claim sky offer better coverage. 

18 minutes ago, faircity said:

The final proof that you aren't actually a pish stained jaikie, you've been guising all this time. Even the world's biggest spangle couldn't claim sky offer better coverage. 

Pish stained ☺. I like that. Because i prefer sky sports? Another one to add to my  collection of names 👄

25 minutes ago, faircity said:

Sorry i misread your post. U didnt call me a pished stained jackie and that is the biggest compiment i have had here. To be honest i dont watch a lot of football on tv but genuinely was thinking about getting bt sports. Sky coming in wouldnt bother me as long as i can watch the game. The sites on you tube et al are getting more difficult to get. My main opinion is that what brings in more revenue for scottish football. But i read a thing from earlier saying it would be biased toward the old firm. Its a difficult one because of the size of the clubs and sky wanting maximum exposure. But i dont agree with it and the old firm should not sign up to that. They make enough more than the other clubs and need to put something back in to our game. In my pished opinion ☺

I think that if I were a thick as shit old firm fan, I’d quite enjoy Sky Sports coverage of Scottish football.

Thick Ex old firm players looking at Scottish football through an old firm lens. What’s not to like.

*I'm not saying all old firm fans or anyone here is thick as shit.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think that if I were a thick as shit old firm fan, I’d quite enjoy Sky Sports coverage of Scottish football.

Thick Ex old firm players looking at Scottish football through an old firm lens. What’s not to like.

Me is ☺

10 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Bingo

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I could honestly think of nothing worse.

20 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Inside SPFL twitter are the only source I've seen, I'm not on twitter but I was sent the link by a friend. 

Put no store - as in absolutely zero - in anything from that account as it's almost always completely made up.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-secures-ground-breaking-broadcast-deals

THE SPFL HAS AGREED A SERIES OF GROUND-BREAKING BROADCAST DEALS WHICH WILL SEE MAJOR INCREASES IN REVENUES FOR THE SCOTTISH PROFESSIONAL GAME.

The UK & Ireland broadcast rights for the Ladbrokes Premiership, Betfred Cup and IRN-BRU Cup from 2020-21 were auctioned and the winning bids were revealed to clubs by Chief Executive Neil Doncaster at a meeting at Hampden Park this afternoon. The Premiership clubs then gave their approval to each of the winning bids.

Whilst the commercial details of the agreements have not been revealed, under the new deals:

• Sky Sports will exclusively broadcast up to 48 Ladbrokes Premiership live matches per season, as well as up to six Premiership / Championship play-off matches, in each case for five seasons from 2020/21

• Premier Sports will exclusively broadcast between 12 and 16 Betfred Cup live matches and highlights per season

• Existing BBC Scotland television highlights and live radio packages have been renewed for five seasons from 2020, as well as up to 20 live Ladbrokes Championship matches per season for 2018/19 and 2019/20

• MG ALBA has agreed BBC ALBA will also broadcast one deferred Ladbrokes Premiership match each Saturday evening, live matches from the IRN-BRU Cup and the Ladbrokes Championship / League 1 and Ladbrokes League 1 / League 2 play-of finals for three seasons from 2020/21

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster, speaking immediately after the meeting with Premiership clubs at Hampden Park, said: “Every single deal is a major increase on our current contracts. Taken together, these deals represent the largest ever injection of broadcast investment since the SPL was founded over 20 years ago.

“Whilst we are not in a position to reveal exact figures, it’s indicative of the sums involved that the clubs quickly voted to accept the deals put before them.

“Interest in the Scottish game is extremely high both at home and overseas and this has been reflected in the size of the commercial deals we have been able to strike in what is definitely a very challenging market.

“It has been a remarkably complex and time-consuming process, but we have definitely got the right result and our media advisor Phil Lines has played an important role in achieving this successful outcome.

“We’re particularly pleased that we have been able to agree a deal for the Ladbrokes Premiership matches on an exclusive basis with a single live broadcast partner. Sky Sports has been at the heart of the football broadcasting revolution for many, many years and its determination to secure our rights and its commitment to ensuring excellence in its programming are extremely encouraging.

“We are also delighted to announce a deal with Premier Sports to broadcast the Betfred Cup and the continuation of our partnerships with BBC Scotland and MG ALBA.

“The significant, additional money which will come into Scottish football will be extremely welcome. The game can only benefit from the strong investment and widespread exposure these deals have secured.”

Barney Francis, Sky Sports’ Managing Director, said: “This is a hugely exciting time for Scottish football – something that has been reflected in the number of fans tuning in to watch on Sky Sports. With more games, in-game clips and highlights of every single Ladbrokes Premiership clash, fans won’t miss a minute. Add in live coverage of Scotland’s Nations League campaign, and every European Championship and World Cup qualifier and we’ve really got the Scottish game covered.”

Michael O’Rourke, Premier Sports’ Chairman, said: “I am genuinely delighted to secure the rights to the Betfred Cup for five seasons from 2020. This deal compliments our recently announced deal with the Scottish FA for their cup competition and completes a unique double for Premier Sports. We are looking forward to working with the SPFL in the years ahead.”

Steve Carson, Head of Multiplatform Commissioning, BBC Scotland, said: “We are delighted to have agreed this new deal with the SPFL. We know there is a huge appetite for Scottish football amongst the audience and these deals will allow us to bring them more action than ever before from the top tiers of the game. It’s great news for fans of the Scottish game and we’re looking forward to delivering a multiplatform package of high-quality coverage across TV, radio and online.”

Iseabail Mactaggart, Director of Strategy and Partnership at MG ALBA, commented: “We’re delighted to secure this agreement with the SPFL. It means Gaelic-language sports programming remains open for all across Scotland.”

Just when people are Scottish football is picking up fans and attention they find a new way to reduce peoples interest. 

There are very few people who will pay for premier sports and Sky to get all the games so they will simply stop watching. Short term rubbish business management.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46264665

The five-year agreement - reported to be worth up to £100m - will include 48 games per season, as well as the six Premiership play-off ties.

20 mil a season for 54 games is £370k per game.  Doesnt seem like a huge amount to me.

Or to cut it another way average of £1.6 mil per season per team!!!!  In modern football terms that is almost nothing.