Your line-up to play Albania and Israel - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your line-up to play Albania and Israel

Chripper

31 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

McGregor 

Paterson Bates McKenna Robbo 

mcgregor Armstrong

Fraser Christie Forrest 

Fletcher 

Why would Fletcher start over McBurnie

Both target men, one over the hill, one up and coming

2 hours ago, exile said:

If you created a team out of our calloffs, what would it be, how strong would they be against the actual team?

The hope has to be that those that go are truly committed, and McLeish can use that to get the most out of them

I think someone did that last week and it looked like the call offs would not be  as good as what was left, however there have been several more in the intervening period so things may well have changed.  One decent thing is at least we have got some pace left in the team with Robertson, Fraser, Forrest, Phillips still there.  We can do this and hopefully the call offs will create a lets win this mentality rather than this is all going so badly lets give up.  Could do with no injuries or yellow cards though.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:02 PM, todd said:

I was trying to work this out earlier. In that scenario I think we would be level with Israel on goal difference and goals scored so we'd go top because of our away goal in Israel? But if we lost to Albania 1-0 and beat Israel 2-1 I have no idea how it would be decided. 😞

In that scenario it would then go down to disciplinary record. At present, I think we are on 6 disciplinary points and Israel are on 5. Quite close. But we have two games to play and they only have one, so we are more likely to pick more cations than them. That sending off could cost us a play off place. 

4 hours ago, Bino's said:

Why would Fletcher start over McBurnie

Both target men, one over the hill, one up and coming

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Because Fletcher is better at holding  the ball up and laying off, not necessarily scoring.

I'd tend to agree. Usually I'd go for bringing in the youngster but the decision here depends on what the rest of the squad is set up to do. 

As I see it this is a must not lose game rather than a must win game. If I follow correctly, a point would be enough to relegate Albania, and that could be seen as good business, and tee up the last match nicely, which we need to win anyway, even if we win tonight. Obviously we'd rather win but a draw would be a steadying result and a step in the right direction - either a clean sheet or scoring away from home.

The point being that if our aim is to get at least a draw, then which player would be better for holding the ball and not giving it away? If we're comfortable doing that, at least, then could still go looking to nick a win.  Maybe from another player from a set piece for example.