Your line-up to play Albania and Israel - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your line-up to play Albania and Israel

Chripper

I think it's worth a mention how solid Tierney and Robbo have been in their presence in the Scotland squads. Often it's the "big stars" who are most likely to call off if they have any sort of niggle their club physio is worried about, but these two lads seem to have boundless energy and commitment. Even when being forced to play out of position. Both class acts. 

7 hours ago, csinclair said:

You'd leave Fraser out even though he's probably the most in form player at present?

Yes - it's about creating a balanced team from the available resources.

If it wasn't then it wouldn't be 3-4-2-1 and Hendry wouldn't be anywhere near the line-up.

Needs dictate and it can only be one of Fraser and Forrest. Not both.

Just my opinion though.

25 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Yes - it's about creating a balanced team from the available resources.

If it wasn't then it wouldn't be 3-4-2-1 and Hendry wouldn't be anywhere near the line-up.

Needs dictate and it can only be one of Fraser and Forrest. Not both.

Just my opinion though.

In my opinion, if we can get Fraser playing well, we will see a massive improvement in the team. Personally, I think he is our best player and the team should be built to around him. 

4 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

In my opinion, if we can get Fraser playing well, we will see a massive improvement in the team. Personally, I think he is our best player and the team should be built to around him. 

Fair enough.

I'm not fussed about which of Fraser or Forrest it is - a strong case could be made for either to be included.

But not both.

McGregor

Paterson, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson

Armstrong, McGregor

Fraser, Christie, Fraser

Fletcher

And for what it's worth I'd have called up Darren Fletcher to replace McGinn.  Someone to protect that back four in midfield and provide leadership & experience on the pitch and in the dressing room.

49 minutes ago, ThursoTA said:

McGregor

Paterson, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson

Armstrong, McGregor

Fraser, Christie, Fraser

Fletcher

And for what it's worth I'd have called up Darren Fletcher to replace McGinn.  Someone to protect that back four in midfield and provide leadership & experience on the pitch and in the dressing room.

We've had that many call-offs that Ryan Fraser is required on both wings

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

We've had a lot of call offs but looking at the team now the only big losses for me are Mcginn, Griffiths and Naismith.

I think Mulgrew's a big miss. The back line is very young and hasn't played together. Mulgrew's a steady head that would make us more secure i think.
Devlin's a miss as with the other withdrawls it would have been useful to at least have 2 clubmates in there to keep it a bit steadier.
O'Donnell's a miss as we no longer have a right back. I expect Tierney to play there, and that our right flank will be stifled as a result.

Snoddy wouldn't start for me, but if Forrest's pace isn't working then we need options off the bench who can offer something a little different, and Snoddy falls into that category.

So that's 7 that I think we'd certainly be better off with in the squad. A case can certainly be made for McDonald and Cairney too.

Personally, I think we need to go with a 4-5-1 and there are 5 decisions to be made -

McGregor

Tierney   Defender   McKenna   Robertson

Centre-mid        McGregor      Centre-mid

Right-wing               Forward                   Fraser

1. Pick between Hendry and Bates to play with McKenna in the middle.  
  2. Pick 1 from Armstrong, Christie, Shinnie and McTominay.  
  3. Pick another 1 from Armstrong, Christie, Shinnie and McTominay.  I'd be fairly happy with any combo other than Shinnie and McTominay.  
  4. Pick between Forrest and Phillips.  Possible GMS and move Fraser to the right.  Another option is Paterson or even Russell.
  5. Pick between McBurnie, Fletcher, Paterson or Russell.

Personally, this is what I'd go with -

McGregor

Tierney   Bates  McKenna   Robertson

Armstrong        McGregor      Christie

Forrest               Fletcher                   Fraser

13 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I think it's worth a mention how solid Tierney and Robbo have been in their presence in the Scotland squads. Often it's the "big stars" who are most likely to call off if they have any sort of niggle their club physio is worried about, but these two lads seem to have boundless energy and commitment. Even when being forced to play out of position. Both class acts. 

Jinx!

I'm sorry but the commitment of our players is now a total farce

McGregor

Patterson Bates McKenna Robertson

McGregor Armstrong

Forrest Christie Mackay-Steven

McBurnie

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

We need to change the rules because this cant keep happening.

Regular call offs should result in a ban or suspension. We need players who actually want to play for the country. Guys like Matt Ritchie should never be picked again.

That's a fun one.. Tierney might be injured so you have a pop at Ritchie. :D
The rules are still in place so they can't play the next club match if we so desire, right? Don't think it needs anything more than that.

The idea of bans or suspensions would just see absolutely everyone retire from international football at the age of 18.

59 minutes ago, andyD said:

That's a fun one.. Tierney might be injured so you have a pop at Ritchie. :D
The rules are still in place so they can't play the next club match if we so desire, right? Don't think it needs anything more than that.

The idea of bans or suspensions would just see absolutely everyone retire from international football at the age of 18.

We need to apply the rules then

17 hours ago, bigfingers said:

We need to change the rules because this cant keep happening.

Regular call offs should result in a ban or suspension. We need players who actually want to play for the country. Guys like Matt Ritchie should never be picked again.

The rules are there, see the NI case with Kyle Lafferty last month. The likes of Ritchie and Snodgrass who appear to have asked not to be considered for a squad can’t be punished, as they haven’t been called up for the squad. However the rest of the call offs can be if the SFA invoke the clause that stops them playing for their club after the international week finishes (Wed 21st November?). As Andyd says, players would be retiring from international football if we applied the rules all the time. 

If you created a team out of our calloffs, what would it be, how strong would they be against the actual team?

The hope has to be that those that go are truly committed, and McLeish can use that to get the most out of them