Your line-up to play Albania and Israel - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your line-up to play Albania and Israel

Chripper

On 14 November 2018 at 1:14 PM, Chripper said:

Okay. Could someone please tell me why they think our players are suited, stable and balanced with 4 at the back. Where's the evidence of this? We've been nothing short of hopeless for 20 years playing 4 at the back. I'm not saying this is the only reason for our failings, but I'd say that it's a bloody big reason.

When is the last time that we qualified for a World Cup or a European Championships with a flat back four? 1990? That's a long time...

I keep saying this, international football is akin to European football. How many of our players shine in Europe? How many of our players are still playing In European competitions? Teams playing 4 at the back in the SPL is one thing, but once they do it in Europe they get beat against the likes of Skonto Riga and AEK Athens, etc.

And as stated previously, the groups for the Nations League is calculated by coefficients. Given that Israel ran us ragged, do you think we're better than them?

Will young please stop sayimg "In the last 20 years" it really is irrelevent. Can we all agree not to say told you so no matter the results or formation after the two games

Just now, Bino's said:

Putting in Armstrong makes me want to include Gms

Those two are joined at the hip

That's fair enough. it's good to have close players on the pitch who are comfortable with each other and no how to play together well. However, I think it would be harsh not to start Fraser considering his form at the highest level this season.

6 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

That's fair enough. it's good to have close players on the pitch who are comfortable with each other and no how to play together well. However, I think it would be harsh not to start Fraser considering his form at the highest level this season.

And, considering he's often first on the sick note list, harsh not to play him when he's actually managed to stay with the squad all week.

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

McGregor

Tierney Bates McKenna Robertson

McGregor Armstrong

Forrest Christie Mackay-Steven

McBurnie

Fraser in for Forrest and I think that's about as good as we get with this squad.

31 minutes ago, andyD said:

Fraser in for Forrest and I think that's about as good as we get with this squad.

Thinking now we should get as many players used to playing with each other as we can into the side

Is our main strength in that squad

I`d go with

McGregor

Paterson          McKenna             Tierney           Robertson

Armstrong          McGregor

Forrest                             Christie                    Fraser

Russell

my only concern is how many of those will end up out of Tuesday`s game

ChrisPro that's been my thought as well, how to approach the games so we have our best team available for Tuesday which regardless how Saturday goes is a must win.

What has been going through my mind is be quick out the gate and aim for a two goal cushion by half time and then look to take off our main threats and preserve them.

I wouldn’t have him in my first choice team as I’m not sure he’s technically good enough for international football, but I’d start shinnie in midfield in these games. Armstrong, mctominay, mcgregor and Christie are all technically better but I think shinnie will bring some tenacity that the others are lacking and might go some way to filling mcginn’s place.

I'm surprised no one is putting Patterson in midfield which is were he has played most often in the last two seasons.

Surprised any one wants GMS in , based on what? a dozen good games this season.

Armsrong I assume is included on every thing he has done prior to this season, probably the most out of form player in the squad.

No Phillips fans left ? Or has he pulled without me noticing, I've lost track

McGinn's been the only call off (rather than known injuries) that's really disappointed me. Other than that we still have a team that's capable. McGregor, Robertson, Tierney, McKenna, McGregor, Armstrong, Fraser and Forrest are first team players or on its fringe. 

I'd play Bates in a back four, why not give him a go? Christie deserves his chance so it's just a choice of front man. I'd go for Phillips but I know that's not popular!

41 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

For what it's worth

Mcgregor or Gordon  which ever one is most fit, at least they have age as an excuse.

Teirney, Bates McKenna Robertson

Mctominay Mcregor

Phillips or Forrest  Patterson Fraser

McBurnie

I think it will be McGregor in goal as Gordon is no longer in the squad (I appreciate how difficult it is to keep up th all the withdrawals. Interesting choice of Paterson in a midfield role as he got a lot of goals there last year.

McGregor 

Teirney McKenna Hendry Robbo

Armstrong McTom McGregor Paterson Fraser

Phillips

Pack the midfield. Goal threat from Fraser, Paterson and Armstrong. McTom should be OK in DM role with McGregor.

Phillips in great form for WBA. Strong with pace.

Need Big Eck to come up with the tactics

2 hours ago, ChrisPro said:

I also don`t know where we are regarding who`s 1 card away from a suspension. Am I right n thinking a 1 goal defeat followed by a 1-0 win is enough to top the group?

I was trying to work this out earlier. In that scenario I think we would be level with Israel on goal difference and goals scored so we'd go top because of our away goal in Israel? But if we lost to Albania 1-0 and beat Israel 2-1 I have no idea how it would be decided. 😞

I'd reluctantly go 3-4-2-1 for this one.

McGregor

Hendry.             McKenna             Tierney

Forrest           Shinnie            McGregor          Robertson

Armstrong             Christie

Joe Jordan

(Jordan will likely call off late on for some spurious reason and we'll have to make do with Fletcher instead)

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, Chripper said:

McGregor

Bates. McKenna. Hendry

Phillips.                Robertson                         Tierney

Fraser.                     McGregor.

Paterson.   Fletcher

Updated... again.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

I'd reluctantly go 3-4-2-1 for this one.

McGregor

Hendry.             McKenna             Tierney

Forrest           Shinnie            McGregor          Robertson

Armstrong             Christie

Joe Jordan

(Jordan will likely call off late on for some spurious reason and we'll have to make do with Fletcher instead)

You'd leave Fraser out even though he's probably the most in form player at present?