Your line-up to play Albania and Israel - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your line-up to play Albania and Israel

Chripper

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

we need goals and our entire squad is starved of goals at a high level so we need to give ourselves the best chance of getting a goal, I think Paterson would provide that from the limited options we have

This demonstrates how much scotland needs a fully fit and scoring Leigh Griffiths ☹️

Will hold my hands up and admit I'd not noticed Paterson had been shuffled in up front for Cardiff. Partly because it seems bonkers, but hey, he's finding the net.
Tidy finish against Fulham, adjusting his body well.
Poachers goal against Liverpool on the shoulder of the defender and just poking it past the keeper.
Header from 3 yards out against Brighton, but both Naismith and Fletch have missed easier chances.

Seems like he's worth a go.

Does leave us utterly empty at right back, so the only option is o put Tierney in there, which is horrible from an attacking point of view. Why does the squad have not even one right back in it. Just stupid.

4 minutes ago, andyD said:

Will hold my hands up and admit I'd not noticed Paterson had been shuffled in up front for Cardiff. Partly because it seems bonkers, but hey, he's finding the net.
Poachers goal against Liverpool on the shoulder of the defender and just poking it past the keeper.
Header from 3 yards out against Brighton, but both Naismith and Fletch have missed easier chances.

Does leave us utterly empty at right back, so the only option is o put Tierney in there, which is horrible from an attacking point of view. Why does the squad have not even one right back in it. Just stupid.

I don't know why we are not calling up a right back from another scottish club, my knowledge of football isn't what it used to be but surely there's a scottish right back in our league somewhere 😂

13 minutes ago, andyD said:

Paterson played up front for most of the 2013-14 season when we went into administration and had no other options - there are much worse options than going with him.

Not a technical player by any means but he managed double figures in a team of kids that season and was a teenager. His physical presence alone causes chaos and I'd be going with him over McBurnie, Fletcher or, god help us, Phillips.

Reckon 4-4-2 is the way forward, but I'd be going with the same formation that beat Albania at Hampden in September. They couldn't handle two attack-minded wing backs a couple of months ago so I'd go with:

McGregor               

Devlin        McKenna      Tierney

Fraser                                                    Robertson           

McGregor   McTominay   McGinn                

Armstrong

Paterson  

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't know why we are not calling up a right back from another scottish club, my knowledge of football isn't what it used to be but surely there's a scottish right back in our league somewhere 😂

Less than you might think! :D
Celtic - Lustig
Rangers - Tavernier
Hibs - Whittaker (Scottish, but no thanks)
Aberdeen - Logan
Killie - O'Donnell (Scottish, injured)
Hearts - Smith
St Johnstone - Foster (Scottish, but nope)
Motherwell - Cadden (Scottish, but more of a winger, usually in a 352)
St Mirren - McGinn (i know basically nothing about him except 1 clean sheet in 13 league games)
Livi - Lawless (Scottish, but again he's a wide mid in a 352, like Cadden (but not as good))
Dundee - Cammy Kerr (Scottish, a right back, 23. Lost 30 goals in 13 games)
Hamilton - McGowan

Sooo.. yeah. Other options..
Beg Hutton to come back for a couple of games.
Beg Bardsley to do likewise.
Palmer at Sheffield Wednesday is as good a shout as any. Assumine we want a right back he's probably among the best we have who's actually available right now, even if he's not defensively the greatest thing ever.
Anya.. probably still better than any of the available Scottish Prem options, but hasn't kicked a ball in months.
Ralston - a risk due to lack of experience, but has been back on the celtic bench recently
Love can't make the Sunderland squad in League One.
Caddis doesnt have a club.
They we get down to Jordan McGhee at Flakirk or Nicky Devlin at Walsall but these are not good levels of football.
Williamson could step up from the u21s..or gamble on Meredith from west brom.

Ultimately I can see Ryan Jack going in at right back if we play a 4. But we should have called Palmer and tried to get Hutton back just for these games. You'd think McLeish had some sway with him.

2 minutes ago, andyD said:

Celtic - Lustig
Rangers - Tavernier
Aberdeen - Logan
Hearts - Smith
St Mirren - McGinn (i know basically nothing about him except 1 clean sheet in 13 league games)
Livi - Lawless (Scottish, but again he's a wide mid in a 352, like Cadden (but not as good))
Hamilton - McGowan

Palmer at Sheffield Wednesday is as good a shout as any. Assumine we want a right back he's probably among the best we have who's actually available right now, even if he's not defensively the greatest thing ever.
Anya.. probably still better than any of the available Scottish Prem options, but hasn't kicked a ball in months.
Ralston - a risk due to lack of experience, but has been back on the celtic bench recently
They we get down to Jordan McGhee at Flakirk or Nicky Devlin at Walsall but these are not good levels of football.

Ultimately I can see Ryan Jack going in at right back if we play a 4. But we should have called Palmer and tried to get Hutton back just for these games. You'd think McLeish had some sway with him.

i was with you till the part in bold, I'd rather Tierney played there than Jack, Jack is weak and shits his pants on the big stage. Scott Brown still has his lunch money from every time he's played him.

Tierney will be far more effective

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

i was with you till the part in bold, I'd rather Tierney played there than Jack, Jack is weak and shits his pants on the big stage. Scott Brown still has his lunch money from every time he's played him.

Tierney will be far more effective

I think i'd have to play tierney there too given the squad we've got. I hate him there as he offers absolutely nothing going forward, but defenisvely he's the best option in the squad.

Don't get me wrong, i don't _want_ Jack to play right back.. i can just see McLeish doing it.

17 minutes ago, andyD said:

Celtic - Lustig
Rangers - Tavernier
Aberdeen - Logan
Hearts - Smith
Hamilton - McGowan

In theory you could add Jack Grimmer to that list. Now at Coventry.

Guest faircity

Ricky foster reckons he's overlooked because he plays for Saints. 

Ehm naw Ricky, it's because you are fucking honking. Not only that but he is a complete wank. Now fuck off you horrible little prick. 

35 minutes ago, faircity said:

Ehm naw Ricky, it's because you are fucking honking. Not only that but he is a complete wank. Now fuck off you horrible little prick. 

as much i think he's a big throbbing penis, I think he as a point regarding saints but not necessarily about himself. Tierney will be better at right back than Foster but what about Zander Clark...............overlooked for celtic's 2nd choice keeper

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

as much i think he's a big throbbing penis, I think he as a point regarding saints but not necessarily about himself. Tierney will be better at right back than Foster but what about Zander Clark...............overlooked for celtic's 2nd choice keeper

Liam Kelly ahead of Zander Clark any day of the week 

53 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Ryan Jack has now withdrawn from the squad.

Time for Jack Hendry to be called up...

My feeling is,  that due to the circumstances we need to be more aggressive and view the business at the other end as more critical and be more attacking - call up Jordan Rhodes. We need more weapons and view attack as the best form of defense. 

2 hours ago, faircity said:

Hahaha I'm glad you posted this. When I read that article this morning I felt bad for being a Scotland obsessive and not even really knowing who this lad was. Now I realise he must just be an absolute chancer!

Absolutely has to be Tierney at right back unfortunately, unless the Scottish Cafu turns up to save the day. It could be his Rooney-style testimonial?

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

If he's going with a back 3 I'd replace Jack with Cadden, if he's going with a back 4 I'd call up Palmer.

cadden/palmer got this is bringing back vogts squad memories. tierney or paterson its albania and israel not one of the top sides, back three is ridiculous against these type of teams when we actually have good midfield players at our disposal 

1 hour ago, LewisEDI said:

cadden/palmer got this is bringing back vogts squad memories. tierney or paterson its albania and israel not one of the top sides, back three is ridiculous against these type of teams when we actually have good midfield players at our disposal 

These kind of teams? We are these kind of teams. If we weren't in the same bracket as Albania and Israel then why are we are in the same group as them?

I think people don't understand how three at the back works. If people think it leaves us exposed down the flanks when we're attacking, those people would be wrong, as one of the center backs drifts out to cover the space. If people think it's a negative formation, those people are wrong, as when we are enjoying a lot of possession then one of the center backs can stroll into midfield, allowing one of the midfielders license to roam.

We are awful at the back, we have fragile center backs, we've played with a flat back four for 20 years and I can never recall us looking solid at the back. And yet people want to persist with it "because our players play this formation at club level". Yes, International level isn't club level. International level is akin to European competitions. How many players do we have currently competing in European competitions? 

We have good midfielders? McGinn plays in the Championship with Villa, McDonald plays a team at the bottom of the EPL, Armstrong plays with a struggling Southampton side, McGregor plays against teams who have no transfer budget. McTominay can't break into the worst Man United team I have ever seen.

We have decent midfielders, France and Germany and Belgium and Brazil and Argentina, etc, have good midfielders.

Never been so disillusioned with the options available to the current manager. I've been watching, following Scotland since 1973. I was always optimistic against any team we played but i fear the worst on Saturday. Hopefully for the supporters who are travelling the result is positive. I will be at Hampden next Tuesday and dread to think what the atmosphere will be like if the result goes wrong on Saturday. 

Just now, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Never been so disillusioned with the options available to the current manager. I've been watching, following Scotland since 1973. I was always optimistic against any team we played but i fear the worst on Saturday. Hopefully for the supporters who are travelling the result is positive. I will be at Hampden next Tuesday and dread to think what the atmosphere will be like if the result goes wrong on Saturday. 

I'm there with you.

A few days ago I asked if I was the only one who felt that we're at the bottom of the barrel with no light in sight.

I got one reply, and it read "Yes".

Which means either everyone is an eternal optimist or simply dilutional.

We are at the bottom of the barrel and to be honest, there is no way of getting out of it. The SFA only care about their weekends away and wining and dining in posh restaurants. Our domestic clubs are self-serving and don't care about the big picture, as long as they're treading water. Neither the clubs or the SFA care about the Scotland national team, and it's showing. Yes, we might produce a Robertson here, a Tierney there and maybe a Gilmour every 10 or 20 years, but the aforementioned players have been produced by accident and not design. I mean, Robertson was booted out of Celtic for being too SMALL! 

6 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I'm there with you.

A few days ago I asked if I was the only one who felt that we're at the bottom of the barrel with no light in sight.

I got one reply, and it read "Yes".

Which means either everyone is an eternal optimist or simply dilutional.

We are at the bottom of the barrel and to be honest, there is no way of getting out of it. The SFA only care about their weekends away and wining and dining in posh restaurants. Our domestic clubs are self-serving and don't care about the big picture, as long as they're treading water. Neither the clubs or the SFA care about the Scotland national team, and it's showing. Yes, we might produce a Robertson here, a Tierney there and maybe a Gilmour every 10 or 20 years, but the aforementioned players have been produced by accident and not design. I mean, Robertson was booted out of Celtic for being too SMALL! 

Just don't believe i'm so pessimistic when it comes to Scotland, not a good place to be.