Tirana - Albania V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tirana

moomkin

5 hours ago, doonhameronthedon said:

Good to hear, anywhere you've found that you'd recommend?

I spend quite a bit of time in Albania so know Tirana fairly well. Quite conservative but lots of bars in the Blloku area. And then of course there is the 4th Element!

24 minutes ago, 1ANDYP said:

4th element?

Its the only strip club in town! Doesn't open until way after my bedtime!

Food is fantastic in Albania, lots of restaurants and cheap as chips. If the weather is good then nice 'al fresco' food and drinks near the market on Rrugga Shemsi Haka (near Stephan Centre), about 500m from the Opera/Tirana International hotel. Similarly around the Taiwan Centre which right beside Blloku for beers in the sun.  

14 hours ago, moomkin said:

Its the only strip club in town! Doesn't open until way after my bedtime!

Food is fantastic in Albania, lots of restaurants and cheap as chips. If the weather is good then nice 'al fresco' food and drinks near the market on Rrugga Shemsi Haka (near Stephan Centre), about 500m from the Opera/Tirana International hotel. Similarly around the Taiwan Centre which right beside Blloku for beers in the sun.  

Much you think is realistic money wise for 3 nights?

On 11/7/2018 at 6:59 PM, moomkin said:

I'll be in Tirane for the next few weeks so if anyone gets a little 'stuck' then I'll be happy to advise. Still not decided if is winter yet so very pleasant at the moment. Think it is OK for next week too.

Just wondering if Tirana International has a mobile boarding facility?

I’ve checked in and downloaded all my other flights into my wallet app but can’t seem to get my boarding pass out of Tirana to play along

No online boarding to anywhere from Tirana airport I'm afraid...they say it is the system but I think they like to see the whites of your eyes (and to make sure they are the same as your passport!).  

Oh, and on flights to/from Triana. Anyone on Blue Panorma please make sure that if you have a middle name, then it is on your booking. The barstewards charge €60 euro to change it on the boarding card! You can tell when Blue Panorama is checking in because of the scuffles at their desk!

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Much you think is realistic money wise for 3 nights?

Excluding the 4th element I presume!

I'd say if you are on the lash day and night, great food and drink for 200 pound in 3 nights. However, depends what you go for. €15 for a great lunch dinner with beer and wine. Night is a pub in the Blloku, 30-40€. However, if you go budget, a litre of raki will knock you out for about three days and that's about €3!

1 minute ago, moomkin said:

Excluding the 4th element I presume!

I'd say if you are on the lash day and night, great food and drink for 200 pound in 3 nights. However, depends what you go for. €15 for a great lunch dinner with beer and wine. Night is a pub in the Blloku, 30-40€. However, if you go budget, a litre of raki will knock you out for about three days and that's about €3!

And for the 4th Element?

Is it naive of me to think this place will be run by mafioso?

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Probably be 80p in the suburbs and £2-2.50 in the city centre, not taking into account the price hike to cash in on the Tartan pound 

Depends on where and what you are drinking. Most local draft is sold in local grills 'zgara' and in those a frothy half litre will be 80cents or so. Local beers are mainly lager but are very good. Try Tirana, Korce or Peja from Kosovo, if you see them on draft. In the center you can get most usual draft European beers, for €3 to €4 ish.  I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

5 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

And for the 4th Element?

Is it naive of me to think this place will be run by mafioso?

Most of the Clients are mafioso! (of a sort). 

(Allegedly!), a night in there will cost more than  months salary for the average Albanian . In effect it's a bit like the Edinburgh go-go's with a few more flashing lights. I'm sure they have a menu beyond drinks but it is mainly cocktails and it will be €10 ish. The girls are from the usual other parts of Eastern Europe but prostitution is illegal in Albania and despite what it might look like on the surface, it is a very conservative society.    

Definitely the owners of the 4th element have a bit of wasta.

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Just wondering if Tirana International has a mobile boarding facility?

I’ve checked in and downloaded all my other flights into my wallet app but can’t seem to get my boarding pass out of Tirana to play along

No online boarding to anywhere from Tirana airport I'm afraid...they say it is the system but I think they like to see the whites of your eyes (and to make sure they are the same as your passport!).  

Oh, and on flights to/from Tirana. Anyone on Blue Panorma please make sure that if you have a middle name, then it is on your booking. The barstewards charge €60 euro to change it on the boarding card! You can tell when Blue Panorama is checking in because of the scuffles at their desk!

On 11/8/2018 at 2:06 PM, doonhameronthedon said:

Good to hear, anywhere you've found that you'd recommend?

For the time between breakfast beer and lunch then the Free Walking Tour which is done from the steps of the Opera House every day (maybe twice a day now) is a not miss. I've been on it several times and send all of my guests. Usually the guide is a guy called Gazi but it is either him or his friend. A two hour, 3km walk (starting at 10am I think) but he will give a fantastic, concise and comprehensive history of Tirana and Albania. It is free and will break the time between breakfast and lunch. It will be on tripadvisor for details. I think he will point out the pubs too! No obligations at all to pay but you can give a tip at the end.

10 hours ago, moomkin said:

I am flying from Pisa to Tiran on this airline with my wife. Just checked my booking and we have not given our middle names. Will this be a problem or is it only when leaving Tirana Airport.

Oh, and on flights to/from Triana. Anyone on Blue Panorma please make sure that if you have a middle name, then it is on your booking. The barstewards charge €60 euro to change it on the boarding card! You can tell when Blue Panorama is checking in because of the scuffles at their desk!

5 hours ago, alloakenny said:

Oops! Their scam is that the name on the passport must match the name on the boarding card. I've been involved in two misfortunes with them. Both times it wasn't mentioned in Milan but only at check-in at Tirana. However, I know of several people who have been rumbled in both directions. Have a look at the forums on TripAdvisor and you will see there are hundreds of 'victims'. If you can sort it with them for free before you leave, it would be better otherwise chance it. Maybe the TA effect might help on this occasion. 

Edited by moomkin

5 hours ago, moomkin said:

Oops! Their scam is that the name on the passport must match the name on the boarding card. I've been involved in two misfortunes with them. Both times it wasn't mentioned in Milan but only at check-in at Tirana. However, I know of several people who have been rumbled in both directions. Have a look at the forums on TripAdvisor and you will see there are hundreds of 'victims'. If you can sort it with them for free before you leave, it would be better otherwise chance it. Maybe the TA effect might help on this occasion. 

Its now 80 euros. Just off the phone to them. I’ve now contacted last minute.com who I booked with. Absolute outrage