Using your phone. - Albania V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Using your phone.

Graham of Montrose

19 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Intresting, back to basics from the Tartan Army. 

With the price of a pint circa £1, I don’t begrudge a few extra quid so I can do the touristy stuff using my Google Maps to navigate.

J

My provider (3) charge £6 per mb. Bit more than a few extra quid.

21 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I just use my phone to take pics and find out how the missus and kids are a few times a day. WiFi will do fine for that. Might actually get a conversation out my pals now too.

Dinnae phone me for a pint catch up,  just text. Saves me having to decode your West Coast accent in a packed boozer. 😋

3 hours ago, C Mc said:

If you put an Albanian vodafone sim only into an iPhone, does everything still work as normal (contacts etc)?

Daft laddie question i know...

Not so sure. My old man tried that in Australia. (He was out there visiting my brother for a couple of months). Had a Vodafone UK iPhone used a Vodafone Oz sim. It didn’t work As the phone was locked to Vodafone UK. Vodafone Australia explained that although they are both Vodafone they are essentially different companies.

Conversely my brother in law who also lives in Australia was over two years ago and because he had an unlocked iPhone, he just picked up a pay monthly sim for the month he was back over and whammed it in.

J

18 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Aye Israel was an eye opener. An extra 40 odd quid on the phone bill

You must be o2? I was the same, I got a text saying if I wanted to use anymore data I had to reply to the text and it would cost £200

My old phone always automatically turned my data roaming off but my new phone didn’t

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

You must be o2? I was the same, I got a text saying if I wanted to use anymore data I had to reply to the text and it would cost £200

My old phone always automatically turned my data roaming off but my new phone didn’t

Nah Vodafone. I took the hump with O2 but ended up just going like for like by the looks of it. I was getting some texts but stupidly ignored them. Got too used to using my phone hassle free in the EU. Lesson learned

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Nah Vodafone. I took the hump with O2 but ended up just going like for like by the looks of it. I was getting some texts but stupidly ignored them. Got too used to using my phone hassle free in the EU. Lesson learned

I tell a lie, it might only have been £120 for more data but even at that it’s a liberty

For navigating about you can download cities on google maps in advance to use offline. I did it for Tel Aviv and it was extremely useful.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:40 PM, Bristolhibby said:

Intresting, back to basics from the Tartan Army. 

With the price of a pint circa £1, I don’t begrudge a few extra quid so I can do the touristy stuff using my Google Maps to navigate.

J

You can download cities onto your phone google maps in advance of the trip so can navigate about offline. I did it for Tel Aviv and it was very useful.