Squad to play Albania and Israel - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad to play Albania and Israel

PASTA Mick

I cant disagree with you Jeck but we can get to a playoff, surely that matters to the players.

Back to Shinnie, what I think might be more likely is a back 3 with Shinnie on the left, with McKenna in middle with Bates on the right. And McLeish will rely on the pace on the wings.

With Robertson on the left wing back. 

Edited by romanticscot

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Does anyone know what Tierney's injury is?

This is beyond a joke now. Definitely a problem behind the scenes we don't know about, there has to be. 

How can we assume that if he has picked up an injury in training? That's not the management's fault, unless the training is too tough.

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

How can we assume that if he has picked up an injury in training? That's not the management's fault, unless the training is too tough.

You can't turn back a lynch mob without overriding evidence. Some folk won't be happy until McLeish is sacked, even if he gets us to the Euros. 

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Well, aye, the odd injury in training happens - fair enough. But I'm genuinely losing count of the number of call-offs this time, and for a competitive game too. It can't all be down to bad luck. 

14 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

No back 3 of bates, mckenna and hendry with roberton rwb and phillips rwb where he plays for west brom.. 

With shinnie and mctominay as defensive cover on bench.. 

That back 3 will be a shambles. McKenna is the only one good enough to be near a Scotland shirt. Hendry doesn't play for Celtic and when he does he's a bomb scare. He needs experience at a lower level before he will be ready. 

Bates is decent but unless he's improved exponentially since last season he is not even as good as Hendry. 

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

You can't turn back a lynch mob without overriding evidence. Some folk won't be happy until McLeish is sacked, even if he gets us to the Euros. 

That is crap and you know it.

I didn't want him to be appointed. I want him to be removed as soon as possible. But if we win the next two matches, playing some good football then he will deserve to stay on for the qualifiers.

So far he has been a disaster in almost everything he has touched.

I can't think of a single positive and I found positives in Craig Levein!! 

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

This is beyond a joke now. Definitely a problem behind the scenes we don't know about, there has to be. 

Ok Ok, I know everyone is right to be suspicious of "I'm in the know, honestly" posts but I'm just passing on what a good friend told me this morning.

1) The manager is frequently "too tired" or "a little unwell".

2) Peter Grant hasn't a scooby and commands zero respect at all from the players. 

3) The older players really do give a damn and are shocked at how deeply unprofessional the current management team are.

4) The SFA are aware of all this but simply don't care, just as long as people keep buying tickets.

A lot of pish ? Quite probably. But I am beginning to think there might be a smidgen of truth behind one or two of those claims.

18 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I gave the benefit of the doubt that Tierney was maybe allowed to miss the Portugal game as he’s had a lot of games and wasn’t really needed.

Pulling out of 2 competitive games on the eve of the 1st looks a bit like he’s got wind he’s not starting or isn’t happy with the role he’s being asked to play and thought “fuck that”.

I may be wrong, we’ll see how he has recovered by next weekend...

I feel a bit for Mcleish, I don’t know whether it’s him or the nations league players can’t get behind? But he’s working with his hands tied at the moment.

14 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I gave the benefit of the doubt that Tierney was maybe allowed to miss the Portugal game as he’s had a lot of games and wasn’t really needed.

Pulling out of 2 competitive games on the eve of the 1st looks a bit like he’s got wind he’s not starting or isn’t happy with the role he’s being asked to play and thought “fuck that”.

I may be wrong, we’ll see how he has recovered by next weekend...

I feel a bit for Mcleish, I don’t know whether it’s him or the nations league players can’t get behind? But he’s working with his hands tied at the moment.

Going to controversial here, but have a look at Tierney's twitter account,  shitloads of stuff from Celtic, nothing about representing Scotland from what I can see.   Find it quite strange as quite a lot in the group mention the pride of being picked, or even retweet/like comments about playing for Scotland

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

This is brutal!  I honestly can't believe i'm dreading a game against Albania ffs!

We should, at an absolute minimum, be expecting 4 points from these 2 games, 6 points really if rankings are to be believed!  The crazy thing is if we do get less than that from these games it would look really harsh to consider sacking McLeish thanks to all these calls offs.  

The whole SFA board to GTF as soon as humanly possible!  It's utterly embarrassing considering how well we were doing under Strachan a year ago! 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Going to controversial here, but have a look at Tierney's twitter account,  shitloads of stuff from Celtic, nothing about representing Scotland from what I can see.   Find it quite strange as quite a lot in the group mention the pride of being picked, or even retweet/like comments about playing for Scotland

It's not mandatory for our internationals to be gushing about Scotland all the time on twitter or facebook is it ? 

Tierney seemed really excited and honoured when he was made Scotland captain for that one game.

2 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

This is brutal!  I honestly can't believe i'm dreading a game against Albania ffs!

We should, at an absolute minimum, be expecting 4 points from these 2 games, 6 points really if rankings are to be believed!  The crazy thing is if we do get less than that from these games it would look really harsh to consider sacking McLeish thanks to all these calls offs.  

The whole SFA board to GTF as soon as humanly possible!  It's utterly embarrassing considering how well we were doing under Strachan a year ago! 

It's utterly ridiculous, I'm fuming about this.We simply have to qualify for 2020 and the sfa have gone and appointed Mcleish and Peter grant. Just think about that for a moment 

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's not mandatory for our internationals to be gushing about Scotland all the time on twitter or facebook is it ? 

Tierney seemed really excited and honoured when he was made Scotland captain for that one game.

I did say it was controversial 😉

Just find it quite strange he gushes about playing for his boyhood club (as he should) but absolutely nothing about his country

4 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I did say it was controversial 😉

Just find it quite strange he gushes about playing for his boyhood club (as he should) but absolutely nothing about his country

I wouldn't say that it was controversial.

He probably wanted to play for Ireland instead.

If the above comments on the "conspiracy"

Who are our older players? And if its true the SFA are only concerned with the money coming in, our recent home attendances will surely get them taking note.

Less than 20k to watch Portugal

Less than 18k to watch us play Albania

Less than 21k to watch us play Belgium

Less than 21k to watch us play Costa Rica

80k total

Compared with

47k to watch us play Slovakia

26k to watch us play Malta

48k to watch us play England

20k to watch us play Slovenia

141K total

Now I would expect there to be less interest in friendlies and UEFA nations league games over World Cup Qualifiers, but almost half? Ouch.

50 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

A 21 year old with a dozen caps isn't committed enough? Come on.If he was a sicknote, fair enough. But he turns up basically all the time.

Let's not let frustration at the situation make us turn on players who don't deserve it.

4 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

If the above comments on the "conspiracy"

Who are our older players? And if its true the SFA are only concerned with the money coming in, our recent home attendances will surely get them taking note.

80k total

Compared with

141K total

Now I would expect there to be less interest in friendlies and UEFA nations league games over World Cup Qualifiers, but almost half? Ouch.

I imagine the reason they keep going for big nations is that they think it's more attractive for people to come watch.
What they seemt o have missed is that we'd actually like to see the country win a game once in a while, and getting stuffed without touching the ball isnt exactly a great watch.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Exactly what Pasta said.

Don't think McLeish was the guy, but if he'd come in and we'd carried on where we left off under Strachan, but with some new blood in the squad. If we look coherent and organised then I'd be behind him.

The reason I'm not behind him right now is that we're a mess. We don't have a system. Something is up with the players. Results are bad. His pressers are mostly incoherent. There's nothing to suggest that we're going to be in a good place going into the new qualifying campaign. Things are significantly worse than when Strachan was let go.

If he can turn it around then great. What he's done so far suggests there's no real hope of that tho.