Squad to play Albania and Israel - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad to play Albania and Israel

PASTA Mick

I hope we qualify, but surely two loses or a point form these two games and he's gone?

Although, no doubt we'll end up out on goal difference/head to head. The clueless SFA will keep him and it'll be all over by next November.

AHEM...

Just ranting, and I hope to god we get two wins, and somehow we become team.

MON SCOTLAND, for fécking once, just do it DIFFERENTLY and win this Group! 

TWO WINS!

6 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I hope we qualify, but surely two loses or a point form these two games and he's gone?

Although, no doubt we'll end up out on goal difference/head to head. The clueless SFA will keep him and it'll be all over by next November.

AHEM...

Just ranting, and I hope to god we get two wins, and somehow we become team.

MON SCOTLAND, for fécking once, just do it DIFFERENTLY and win this Group! 

TWO WINS!

We only need a draw and a win

Play a 541 away then go for it at home

I'd have personally called up pretty much every attacking player. The Israel game is most important for years so really in the 18 you need as many goal threats as possible. Very surprised Ritchie wasn't recalled. Even more surprised Snodgrass, back to playing regularly in the premier league, isn't in. Tom Cairney played last night so he could've been another option for this make or break set of games.

TBH it's another squad with limited goal threat and not a huge conviction at the back but I do have sympathy with McLeish as with injuries he's not got much choice.

Hopefully Fraser won't stub his toenail in Bournemouth's next game as at least if you can get him out on the pitch then you have a pace threat with him on the right flank and Robbo on the left so can actually stretch a team on the counter attack.

24 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

McLeish has admitted Matt Richie has asked to be left out. Fuck him

This is all sounding Burley & Levein esque with these players asking not to be picked and making themselves unavailable.

McLeish clearly from the performance in Israel & The call offs and unavailabilities, doesn’t have the backing of the players.

2 more games & it’s bye Alex.

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

This is all sounding Burley & Levein esque with these players asking not to be picked and making themselves unavailable.

McLeish clearly from the performance in Israel & The call offs and unavailabilities, doesn’t have the backing of the players.

Totally agree.

It looks like Brown, McArthur, Snodgrass, Cairney and Ritchie have all packed it in under him.  That's not a bad midfield. 

I accept that Brown would maybe have stopped playing regardless of who was the manager but I expect all 4 would still be about if Strachan was still in charge.

I don't think any of the other 4 would be in my strongest XI but all of them would be in the squad.

There is also the issue with Griffiths.  McLeish needs to go.

16 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

100%

I want him gone now, but appreciate it’s too late before the upcoming games.

If we do somehow win the group (and that’s very much not certain) then it will be despite him being manager not because of him being manager.

Regardless of how we finish, at the end of this group, once Israel game is over, he has to go.

18 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Totally agree.

It looks like Brown, McArthur, Snodgrass, Cairney and Ritchie have all packed it in under him.  That's not a bad midfield. 

I accept that Brown would maybe have stopped playing regardless of who was the manager but I expect all 4 would still be about if Strachan was still in charge.

I don't think any of the other 4 would be in my strongest XI but all of them would be in the squad.

Whilst I don't want McLeish as boss, if these tits can give up playing for us that easily, then fuck them. No loss.

52 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Whilst I don't want McLeish as boss, if these tits can give up playing for us that easily, then fuck them. No loss.

Agree and disagree.  It's disappointing that players are making themselves unavailable but players only do this when there are bigger issues.  

I think it's probably a bit hasty to jump to conclusions about certain player's allegiance to the manager. That said we don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Regarding the Griffiths situation for example he does seem to be legitimately injured since he hasn't played for Celtic since before the last international break. Scott Brown made it clear he wouldn't play for Scotland under anyone other than Strachan, not necessarily anything to do with McLeish.

I'd like to be optimistic and say these pullouts could just be a storm in a teacup. But who knows really.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Totally agree.

Either that or McLeish genuinely thinks Christie, Shinnie and GMS are better options than Cairney, Ritchie and Snodgrass. 

For all the flack Strachan took - some of which was deserved - we never had anywhere near the same level of withdrawals as we are seeing now. 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Said before but it reminds me of Wales under John Toshack. Think there was 8-9 who retired from international football when he was in charge.

Then Gary Speed replaced him with a more modern approach (making the camps more enjoyable) and then the call offs stopped.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

What bigger issues are you referring to?

I can only guess but when players and managers fall out it usually signals the beginning of the end for the manager. 

My guess would be that the players don't have any faith in his leadership, selections or tactics. 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Either that or McLeish genuinely thinks Christie, Shinnie and GMS are better options than Cairney, Ritchie and Snodgrass. 

For all the flack Strachan took - some of which was deserved - we never had anywhere near the same level of withdrawals as we are seeing now. 

It would be interesting to see the stats in terms of call offs for each, personally I think Mcliesh made an ass of it when he allowed certain players to miss the Peru/Mexico matches. He made it clear it was ok to miss matches.

46 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I can only guess but when players and managers fall out it usually signals the beginning of the end for the manager. 

My guess would be that the players don't have any faith in his leadership, selections or tactics. 

So the solution is to down tools because they don't like it, they have another option. Turn up and give your all for Scotland.................................... its a unique option but they could try it

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Totally agree.

Where to start with this, The five players in bold - there's nothing to suggest every one has packed it in except Brown and McArthur, neither were definitely down to McLeish unless you know something we don't.

The issue with griffiths? I thought he wanted to work on his fitness? Is he lying?