Squad to play Albania and Israel - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad to play Albania and Israel

PASTA Mick

13 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Interesting point.

I never thought about it like that. I must thank you for countering my argument with such a strong and cogent rebuttal.

You've completely opened my eyes on the matter. I'm completely turned around thanks to the sheer strength of your case. It's nice to hear opinions of others, particularly when it's conveyed in such an articulate fashioned.

If I may, I'm going to cut and paste your words of wisdom and use it as a piece of inspiration in my daily life. I think more people should do the same.

Thank you.

It is very difficult for a Scotland player to reach 50/60 caps.  I think there are only around 30 players that have 50 caps for Scotland. 

Recently, we've had Gordon (54), Scott Brown (55), Fletcher (80), Ferguson (45), Morrison (46), Naismith (49), Maloney (47) and McFadden (48) get there or close. 

In my opinion, Cairney, a player who is only in his second season in the EPL, is well below the standard of most of them, particularly Brown, Fletcher and Morrison who have been ahead of him for the last few years.

7 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

I just think Cooper has been immense for Leeds this season . I also think he would be better equipped for international football than Devlin 

I think Cooper would be out his depth at international level.  I really don't rate him and think we have at least 10 better options. 

1 minute ago, PASTA Mick said:

It is very difficult for a Scotland player to reach 50/60 caps.  I think there are only around 30 players that have 50 caps for Scotland. 

Recently, we've had Gordon (54), Scott Brown (55), Fletcher (80), Ferguson (45), Morrison (46), Naismith (49), Maloney (47) and McFadden (48) get there or close. 

In my opinion, Cairney, a player who is only in his second season in the EPL, is well below the standard of most of them, particularly Brown, Fletcher and Morrison who have been ahead of him for the last few years.

In retrospect, you're right. He should probably be on double figures, though. Regardless, he should definitely be on more than two.

This season have been tough for him, as he's been riddled with injuries. He's just back from his latest injury. This is probably why he isn't in this squad.

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think Cooper would be out his depth at international level.  I really don't rate him and think we have at least 10 better options. 

People keep saying "He's captaining the Championship leaders", but if Leeds do go up they'll probably do what Wolves did with Barry Douglas.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't think he's any interest playing for us if there's a chance he may at some point be capped by England.

He's virtually been discounted by Southgate; in any case, England now like to pick those they have hand-reared from the youth teams. He's still recovering from injury and hardly played.

18 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Sorry but I can only name 1 better option . Would these 10 you mention be captain of leeds and play for the leaders of the English championship? 

41 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Interesting point.

I never thought about it like that. I must thank you for countering my argument with such a strong and cogent rebuttal.

You've completely opened my eyes on the matter. I'm completely turned around thanks to the sheer strength of your case. It's nice to hear opinions of others, particularly when it's conveyed in such an articulate fashioned.

If I may, I'm going to cut and paste your words of wisdom and use it as a piece of inspiration in my daily life. I think more people should do the same.

Thank you.

That's all  that was needed with a shout that Tom Cairney should have 60 caps for Scotland.

Please enlighten me as to what he's done in his career to merit getting anywhere near to 60 caps for Scotland by the age of 27. Go on, enlighten me. Give us a laugh.

23 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Nah, if it wasn't for Strachan not rating him he'd be on 60 caps by now.

Laughable that anyone actually thinks he should have gained that amount of caps.

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nah, if it wasn't for Strachan not rating him he'd be on 60 caps by now.

Laughable that anyone actually thinks he should have gained that amount of caps.

Even if you weren't laughing at the fact he clearly wouldn't have merited 60 caps, given how many international games get played, and his age, it would be a fecking miracle for him to hit that target. He'd have had to get capped under George bastard Burley to have a realistic chance of that.

2 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Even if you weren't laughing at the fact he clearly wouldn't have merited 60 caps, given how many international games get played, and his age, it would be a fecking miracle for him to hit that target. He'd have had to get capped under George bastard Burley to have a realistic chance of that.

To put it into context, Andy Robertson has 26 and he's 24 and captain!

Charlie Mulgrew has 39 and that's mainly due to him rarely, if ever, calling off (something Cairney doesn't have) and going to places like Peru/Mexico.

19 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

My Team from that squad would be...

McGregor
Tierney - McKenna - Devlin - Robertson

Armstrong - McGinn Mcgregor

Fraser         Fletcher         Forrest

swap devlin for mulgrew and im with u on that 

27 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Sorry but I can only name 1 better option . Would these 10 you mention be captain of leeds and play for the leaders of the English championship? 

Forget about playing for the team top of the Championship.

Last season Douglas was playing for top-of-the-table Wolves but they binned him as soon as they went up.  McDonald and Cairney won promotion with Fulham but haven't done much to convince most people that are still Championship players.  Paterson won promotion too but he won't start many games for Scotland.

Did anyone hear eck say cairney came off bench last night for Fulham in the press conference today.

He actually played 90 mins and was captain. 

So either he didnt watch the game last night that involved 2 of his players in the EPL or he watched it and canny mind much of it.

Edited by Templeton_Peck

14 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Did anyone hear eck say cairney came off bench last night for Fulham in the press conference today.

He actually played 90 mins and was captain. 

So either he didnt watch the game last night that involved 2 of his players in the EPL or he watched it and canny mind much of it.

We've all forgotten things from the night before after a few 🍻

From that squad I think these may be our best 11 players at the moment. I have absolutely no fucking idea how to choose the best formation to suit them:

McGregor
Tierney
McKenna
Mulgrew
Robertson
Christie
McGregor
McGinn 
Fraser
Russell
Paterson

9 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

From that squad I think these may be our best 11 players at the moment. I have absolutely no fucking idea how to choose the best formation to suit them:

McGregor
Tierney
McKenna
Mulgrew
Robertson
Christie
McGregor
McGinn 
Fraser
Russell
Paterson

McGregor

Tierney.  McKenna.   Mulgrew.    Robertson

McGregor.  McGinn

Paterson.  Christie.  Fraser

Russell

To be fair, it's not the worse eleven from what was picked.

Edited by stevenmcn

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Forget about playing for the team top of the Championship.

Last season Douglas was playing for top-of-the-table Wolves but they binned him as soon as they went up.  McDonald and Cairney won promotion with Fulham but haven't done much to convince most people that are still Championship players.  Paterson won promotion too but he won't start many games for Scotland.

Cooper is still playing better than any of our other centre backs.  Can I have the 10 names that are better please