Squad to play Albania and Israel - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad to play Albania and Israel

PASTA Mick

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Matt Phillips....fuck right off.

I don't think he is that bad.  There are worse players in the squad.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't think he's any interest playing for us if there's a chance he may at some point be capped by England.

Maybe you are right but I can't see him getting near their team.  Southgate is looking at young talented players - not older players that have struggled to get in the Scotland squad. 

phillips was always going to get back in after scoring one of the few goals we have scored under mcleish's reign of terror. Fletcher is a better player than roads and has top level football experience, he has to get a shout ahead of mcburnie who has looked out of this depth (but he is young), my main gripe is mcdonald still being in there, he is atrocious. if he starts again then mcleish should be booted immediately as he will have shown he is completely unable to learn a lesson  

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't think he's any interest playing for us if there's a chance he may at some point be capped by England.

theres about enough of a chance of cairney getting called up by england than there is me getting called up to play for scotland. hes a decent player in the worst team in the premiership and he's in his late twenties. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't think that's fair. He turned out half a dozen times for our under 21s and he always looked honoured. Plus he would've made his father proud playing for Scotland.

Strachan is the main reason why Cairney wasn't picked for the full team, why he wasn't chosen is beyond me. The lad should have about 50/60 caps by now.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Cairney is the obvious one that is missing.  No Ritchie, Snodgrass or McTominay either. 

It looks weak upfront without Griffiths and Naismith. 

McTominay being left out is understandable - he hasn't been getting much of a look in with Man United recently.  Cairney and Snodgrass being left out disappoints me though. I watched Huddersfield v Fulham last night and I thought Cairney played quite well.

I know we've injuries but this squad has the distinct air of B team about it.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Matt Phillips....fuck right off.

Disagree, glad to see him back in. Strong, physical presence and can score or play wider if McGregor is deep. Would have called for Rhodes before Fletcher though.

47 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I don't think that's fair. He turned out half a dozen times for our under 21s and he always looked honoured. Plus he would've made his father proud playing for Scotland.

Strachan is the main reason why Cairney wasn't picked for the full team, why he wasn't chosen is beyond me. The lad should have about 50/60 caps by now.

50/60 caps hahahahaha

It is bizarre to see Scotland give Mcdonald the nod and not Cairney, when it's the opposite at their club. I get that they do slightly different jobs but it's clear Cairney is the more talented player. 

I think our squad could really do with Snoddy around for morale if nothing else! 

Slightly surprised to not see another centre half in there to cover Mulgrew who's carrying an injury. 

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

50/60 caps hahahahaha

Interesting point.

I never thought about it like that. I must thank you for countering my argument with such a strong and cogent rebuttal.

You've completely opened my eyes on the matter. I'm completely turned around thanks to the sheer strength of your case. It's nice to hear opinions of others, particularly when it's conveyed in such an articulate fashioned.

If I may, I'm going to cut and paste your words of wisdom and use it as a piece of inspiration in my daily life. I think more people should do the same.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

It is bizarre to see Scotland give Mcdonald the nod and not Cairney, when it's the opposite at their club. I get that they do slightly different jobs but it's clear Cairney is the more talented player. 

I think our squad could really do with Snoddy around for morale if nothing else! 

Slightly surprised to not see another centre half in there to cover Mulgrew who's carrying an injury. 

I don't see why McDonald is even in the squad. You're spot-on with Cairney, the lad broke onto the scene when he 18/19 and the fact that we haven't build the team around him is strange.

Agreed with Snodgrass and the lack of cover at the back.