u19 squad announced - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

u19 squad announced

er yir macaroon

Just reading up on some of them. According to the Daily Record Shiels is opting to play for Ireland and Scotland until he's forced to choose at 21. Anyone know any more?

The other interesting one was Mebude. Sounds really promising. Was a bit surprised by him retweeting match of the day's tweet about Harry Kane though: https://mobile.twitter.com/dmebude?lang=en

After watching the Under 17s lose to Cyprus on Monday I've lost all optimism, at all age groups.

Yes, we went down to 10 men early in the match, but none of our players did much apart from lumping the ball into the air.

So much for the "we're making progress" and "our younger age groups are starting to play football the proper way". Maybe it's unfair to judge them in that match, as we got a red card early on, but come on, it's Cyprus. We're playing Switzerland on Wednesday, if we can end the match with 11 men it'll be progress...

6 hours ago, Chripper said:

After watching the Under 17s lose to Cyprus on Monday I've lost all optimism, at all age groups.

Yes, we went down to 10 men early in the match, but none of our players did much apart from lumping the ball into the air.

So much for the "we're making progress" and "our younger age groups are starting to play football the proper way". Maybe it's unfair to judge them in that match, as we got a red card early on, but come on, it's Cyprus. We're playing Switzerland on Wednesday, if we can end the match with 11 men it'll be progress...

You obviously didn’t watch the whole game. It was a draw and to be fair, the pitch was shocking and not conducive to a passing game. 

8 hours ago, Chripper said:

We are sitting top of the group. We managed a draw despite playing most the game with 10 men. We beat Kosovo 2-1, Kosovo beat Switzerland 1-0. 

And that under 19 squad has got some very talented players.

9 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Just reading up on some of them. According to the Daily Record Shiels is opting to play for Ireland and Scotland until he's forced to choose at 21. Anyone know any more?

The other interesting one was Mebude. Sounds really promising. Was a bit surprised by him retweeting match of the day's tweet about Harry Kane though: https://mobile.twitter.com/dmebude?lang=en

Harry Kane isn’t the worst role model to look up to for a young striker ....... despite being English!😝

2 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Harry Kane isn’t the worst role model to look up to for a young striker ....... despite being English!😝

You're right but then I read he was born in England and the old worries set in!

I understand Shiels and the others keeping their options open until they are old enough to make a correct decision but it must be a worry for the performance school coaches and they must discuss how you approach each situation. Forming a good team bond is clearly the best way to do that.  

Edited by SkyBlueScot
Extra thoughts

3 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

You're right but then I read he was born in England and the old worries set in!

Yeah well at least he hasn’t been flitting between the two nations.... unlike Dembele. Looks like he’s opted for England unfortunately.

Is this the first time we've seen the performance school boys in such numbers at U19 level? I don't recall seeing too many before, other than the odd outlier like Gilmour. If this is them reaching u19 level in numbers, we should expect it to be another two years or so before they really start to threaten any spots in the full squad, and that would only be the real exceptional talents.

Is it fair to say then, that we shouldn't expect there to be any real change in the full squad due to the performance school system (which I am still very positive about by the way) until perhaps 2025 onwards when this batch hit their mid twenties? To be clear, I'm not criticising, just being realistic about my enthusiasm.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:07 AM, SWMM82 said:

We are sitting top of the group. We managed a draw despite playing most the game with 10 men. We beat Kosovo 2-1, Kosovo beat Switzerland 1-0. 

And that under 19 squad has got some very talented players.

Drew 1-1 with Switzerland earlier today and qualified in second place behind Kosovo who defeated Cyprus 1-0 to top the group.

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Is this the first time we've seen the performance school boys in such numbers at U19 level? I don't recall seeing too many before, other than the odd outlier like Gilmour. If this is them reaching u19 level in numbers, we should expect it to be another two years or so before they really start to threaten any spots in the full squad, and that would only be the real exceptional talents.

Is it fair to say then, that we shouldn't expect there to be any real change in the full squad due to the performance school system (which I am still very positive about by the way) until perhaps 2025 onwards when this batch hit their mid twenties? To be clear, I'm not criticising, just being realistic about my enthusiasm.

Gilmour and Cochrane could easily be in contention for the full squad by 18-19. 

12 minutes ago, 1ANDYP said:

Aye in any other country. But we still say players are too young at 22

In fairness, with us it's less to do with age and more to do with our players just aren't good enough.

The players we have at 25-30 aren't good enough for international football, never mind the ones who are under 22.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

In fairness, with us it's less to do with age and more to do with our players just aren't good enough.

The players we have at 25-30 aren't good enough for international football, never mind the ones who are under 22.

There he is, cheery Chripper!😜  Look forward to sharing a pint with you at the 2026 World Cup as we march out the group stages for the very first time!🙌🏼🙌🏼

4 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

There he is, cheery Chripper!😜  Look forward to sharing a pint with you at the 2026 World Cup as we march out the group stages for the very first time!🙌🏼🙌🏼

That's me. 😉

Consider it bookmarked in my calendar... damn, I've jinxed it already. 😛

8 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Only the ones who haven’t shown enough. Tierney, Souttar and McKenna haven’t had much of a problem. 

Or McTominay and McBurnie. Cadden, Morgan and Burke have been in previous squads too. 

It's lazy for people to say we don't give young players a chance.

Lots of our u21s were under 20 too. 

13 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Gilmour and Cochrane could easily be in contention for the full squad by 18-19. 

I don't doubt it, but in terms of real change right through the team, probably later. The PS system is all about changing the type of player we produce to become more skillful, fitter, more tactically aware etc. We will require more than two players for this to fundamentally change the makeup of the squad, and therefore the type of football they play and the success we have with it.