Bohemian Rhapsody - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Admittedly never been a massive Queen fan but you forget how many top class songs they have until you hear them like this. 

Definitely worth checking out. Would recommend cinema where possible to get the scale, particularly of the Live Aid scenes. 

You could of course just watch them at Live Aid ...

However one of my work colleagues saw it on Friday and she says the same

Hard to believe that only 6 years after this he was gone

Edited by Ally Bongo

Went to see it on Friday night and thought it was excellent.  First half is a bit pedestrian but the second half and in particular the last half hour is superb and the ending is absolutely triumphant.  Been a long time since I've been at the cinema where a spontaneous round of applause has broken out at the end, never mind 2.

Rami Malek is excellent as Freddie but the boys who play Bryan May and John Deacon also put in great performances.  It's shows the power of that Live Aid performance where it's widely regarded as one of the greatest rock performances of all time and it's only something like 20 minutes long!

Edited by Fairbairn

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Went to see it on Friday night and thought it was excellent.  First half is a bit pedestrian but the second half and in particular the last half hour is superb and the ending is absolutely triumphant.  Been a long time since I've been at the cinema where a spontaneous round of applause has broken out at the end, never mind 2.

Rami Malek is excellent as Freddie but the boys who play Bryan May and John Deacon also put in great performances.  It's shows the power of that Live Aid performance where it's widely regarded as one of the greatest rock performances of all time and it's only something like 20 minutes long!

better than their sun city gigs.......

Really interested in this because 1) the reviews have been pretty decent 2) Live Aid was so much a part of my youth,  and 3) my niece is in it (just a small part - not even sure she's in the titles) after she and Malek got to know each other. 

Went yesterday. Thought it was Ok. The plusses were the music , Rami Malek, and the nostalgia of Live Aid. 

Downsides for me were

I thought the actors playing the other band members were pretty poor. 

The film was sanitised beyond belief. Was far too wishy washy, not only in skirting around Freddie Mercury’s lifestyle but in simple things like the scene with the big party at his house. It was the early 80’s and nobody was smoking. Ffs a party like that would have been in a cloud of smoke. 

I would have preferred it to have been given an 18 certificate and more powerful. 

All in all though it was easy watching and very uplifting in parts. I am not sure the people around me  appreciated me singing along and fist pumping to Fast bottomed girls right enough. 

Edited by TDYER63

Thought it was really good, the Live Aid segment was brilliant (I was 18 at the time and remember it like yesterday) I can mind me and my mates drinking in town on the Sunday night and we all agreed that Queen & U2 where probably the best acts (at Wembley anyway).

Had never heard anything about Freddie's boyfriend / pa, the Northern Irish one - came across as a total creep !!

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 1:24 PM, Huddersfield said:

A guy on the radio the other day described Queen as the West Ham United of music; sometimes brilliant, sometimes dire, but mostly just mediocre.

As their records go, agreed. Although they always looked like a great live act.