Stirling - Nite oot! - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stirling - Nite oot!

slasher

In a few weeks time, Mrs. Slasher and I will as per usual shun the office parties and head off on our annual pre Christmas jaunt! This year Stirling has got the gig. I know the centre fairly well but huvnae been for a nite oot there in over 10 years, so any restaurant or pub recommendations gratefully received! 👍

Also looking for recommendations for next year's jaunt. To give you an idea, it should be a) a good nite oot and b) within a couple of hours travel from the shire. (Lanarkshire). In recent years we've done Durham, Newcastle, Aberdeen & Dundee ( my fav so far 😱)

Perth and Dumfries are currently under consideration. Any gen on these or others gratefully received! 😀

I asked my wee cousin who lives in Stirling, here’s her reply. (I’ve been to Boozy Cow a couple of times during Bloody Scotland weekends, great at the start but can’t remember leaving either time so unless they serve rohypnol on tap I think it must be a very sociable pub.) 

The portcullis up beside the castle is supposed to be good - you have to book in advance for there.

There is Herman’s an Austrian restaurant near the castle - it’s lovely.

Or Mediterranea is meant to be good - and they sometimes have djs playing after dinner is finished 

The Regent is the Cantonese restaurant that we love - down in the town.

Pubs on Baker Street are good - there’s a Gin pub, Lawsons - across the road is Nicky Tams - traditional tiny pub and there’s Brew Dog on that street also.

Down the hill from there is The Boozy Cow or they could try Molly Malones.

Xx

Edited by G-Man

18 hours ago, G-Man said:

I asked my wee cousin who lives in Stirling, here’s her reply. (I’ve been to Boozy Cow a couple of times during Bloody Scotland weekends, great at the start but can’t remember leaving either time so unless they serve rohypnol on tap I think it must be a very sociable pub.) 

The portcullis up beside the castle is supposed to be good - you have to book in advance for there.

There is Herman’s an Austrian restaurant near the castle - it’s lovely.

Or Mediterranea is meant to be good - and they sometimes have djs playing after dinner is finished 

The Regent is the Cantonese restaurant that we love - down in the town.

Pubs on Baker Street are good - there’s a Gin pub, Lawsons - across the road is Nicky Tams - traditional tiny pub and there’s Brew Dog on that street also.

Down the hill from there is The Boozy Cow or they could try Molly Malones.

Xx

Cheers G Man! Herman's sounds interesting, I'll have a look! 😀

Food:

- Mediterranea (laid back tapas/mezze affair as G-Man says sometimes has live music and stuff)

- Brea (bit more upmarket but decent value for money)

- Green Gates Indian (best in Stirling)

Drink:

- Settle Inn (wee bit out the way, old fashioned pub...fire on and dogs at your feet type place)

- Nicky Tams (live music on a fair bit, plenty locals outwith the summer)

- Curly Coo (owner is a bit mental, loads of whiskies though)

If all else fails just head to the Fubar.

10 hours ago, hawickta said:

Food:

- Mediterranea (laid back tapas/mezze affair as G-Man says sometimes has live music and stuff)

Drink:

- Settle Inn (wee bit out the way, old fashioned pub...fire on and dogs at your feet type place)

If all else fails just head to the Fubar.

Great stuff! Mrs. Slasher is a big fan of tapas so I already sense a tug of war with my curiosity over Herman's. I'll let you know who wins 😀 We'll do our best to take in as many of the pubs recommended as possible 😵

After this excellent info we just need a nomination for next year's jaunt. At the moment it's Perth v Dumfries.😬

23 minutes ago, slasher said:

Great stuff! Mrs. Slasher is a big fan of tapas so I already sense a tug of war with my curiosity over Herman's. I'll let you know who wins 😀 We'll do our best to take in as many of the pubs recommended as possible 😵

After this excellent info we just need a nomination for next year's jaunt. At the moment it's Perth v Dumfries.😬

Enjoy your tapas. 😁😁

Boozy Cow is now shut down. Must have ran out of amnesia alcohol I had. 

Edited by G-Man

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Enjoy your tapas. 😁😁

Boozy Cow is now shut down. Must have ran out of amnesia alcohol I had. 

I'm not a pushover ye know! I'll show her the menus then blame her for picking the wrong one if it goes poorly, of course taking all the credit for great research if it goes magnificently! 😀

55 minutes ago, slasher said:

I'm not a pushover ye know! I'll show her the menus then blame her for picking the wrong one if it goes poorly, of course taking all the credit for great research if it goes magnificently! 😀

I’d expect nothing less from a fine upstanding member of the TAMB. 🤨🤨😆

I find it best to live by *Homer’s 3 rules; 1- Cover for me. 2- Oh, good idea boss. (Boss interchangeable with wife) and 3- It was like that when I git here. 

*Simpson not the Greet poet one. 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, hawickta said:

Food:

Drink:

I'd second the shout for Brea. The wife and I were in a wee while ago and it was first class. Had mixed reports from other people. Some love it - one or two have moaned about the service.  

Location wise it couldn't be any better. Next door to Brewdog if that's your thing. Across the road from No 2 Baker St who usually have bands on. Nicky Tams and Lawsons are just up the road. Couple of young folks bars round the corner but they are sh*te.

I'd stick the Kilted Kangaroo on the list of watering holes. (Previously it was called Outback and before that it was All The Jazz).  Aussie pub with decent tunes usually, beer garden with heaters and good quick staff. Food pretty good too if you fancy pub scran over a restaurant.

Enjoy your night oot Slasher.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:24 AM, slasher said:

This might not be accurate anymore, however I'm sure there was a time when we had more pubs per head than any other town.

Edit: Should have said Dumfries.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

5 hours ago, Micky said:

I'd second the shout for Brea. The wife and I were in a wee while ago and it was first class. Had mixed reports from other people. Some love it - one or two have moaned about the service.  

Location wise it couldn't be any better. Next door to Brewdog if that's your thing. Across the road from No 2 Baker St who usually have bands on. Nicky Tams and Lawsons are just up the road. Couple of young folks bars round the corner but they are sh*te.

I'd stick the Kilted Kangaroo on the list of watering holes. (Previously it was called Outback and before that it was All The Jazz).  Aussie pub with decent tunes usually, beer garden with heaters and good quick staff. Food pretty good too if you fancy pub scran over a restaurant.

Enjoy your night oot Slasher.

I've been in Kilted Kangaroo a few times and it's not bad, food is okay.

Molly Malones is okay if there's sport on and will suit slasher I think when there's bands on.

Cheers everyone, much appreciated! Plenty of info for us to go on there and Stirling is looking like a good choice. If it's half as good as Dundee last year it'll be a belter!

22 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

This might not be accurate anymore, however I'm sure there was a time when we had more pubs per head than any other town.

Edit: Should have said Dumfries.

Yeah a mate of mine was teaching down there a few years back and I'm sure he said something along those lines. He was always on at us to go down for a night out and some of the boys did and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm hearing mixed reviews about Perth so it's looking like Dumfries next time! 👍

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Cheers everyone, much appreciated! Plenty of info for us to go on there and Stirling is looking like a good choice. If it's half as good as Dundee last year it'll be a belter!

Yeah a mate of mine was teaching down there a few years back and I'm sure he said something along those lines. He was always on at us to go down for a night out and some of the boys did and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm hearing mixed reviews about Perth so it's looking like Dumfries next time! 👍

I really hope Queens get promoted this year.

A great wee away day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a brilliant night in Stirling! Ended up in Molly Malone's after the kilted kangaroo and no. 2 Baker St. Herman's was awesome for dinner and I would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks to all who contributed! 😀 Yeez are all magic! 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 9:32 AM, slasher said:

Table booked next Saturday for...........Herman's!

In your face G-Man! 😂

Your other post made me check this thread. And I was so nice to you over there!  😏

I’ll just concentrate on your “yeez are all magic” post. 😁

Glad you both had a lovely night. You should go for another weekend next year and visit during the Bloody Scotland festival, decent choice of authors and the last night booze up is always memorable. Well the start is at least. 

I’ll pass your comprehensive reviews onto my cousin. 😉

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, slasher said:

Had a brilliant night in Stirling! Ended up in Molly Malone's after the kilted kangaroo and no. 2 Baker St. Herman's was awesome for dinner and I would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks to all who contributed! 😀 Yeez are all magic! 👍

Good stuff mate, glad you enjoyed it.