Glenn Hoddle - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On 10/27/2018 at 7:09 PM, Ally Bongo said:

A fabulous player in his day and an icon for many

Another big part of my youth and hope he pulls through

His comments regarding people being disabled because of something bad they did in a previous life are not on him 

It's once again down to religion and whoever put that shite in his head when he was becoming a born again Christian

9b7e6fda7fd12afa309093a269fc4405.jpg

Are you for real? The comments were the fault of some religion? 

I hope he recovers and feel free to discuss his football ability, but dont try to gloss over his abhorrent comments by pinning the blame on anyone but Glenn Hoddle.  

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I hope he recovers and feel free to discuss his football ability, but dont try to gloss over his abhorrent comments by pinning the blame on anyone but Glenn Hoddle.  

Absolutely. 👍

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Think it's fairly straightforward

It was a belief that he didnt make up on his own 

https://www.myhandicap.com/en/information-disability-chonical-illness/health-and-aids/mental-health/disability-religion/

In Buddhism, the concept of Karma explains a cause of disabilities. The disabled person receives the Karma of past life. Strictly seen, the disability is the result of committed mistakes in past life.

However, this is not all. Disability also includes the parents, the therapists and cares of the disabled person. For them and other people around the disabled person, the disability offers a chance to develop charity what results into a good karma for next life. The Dalai Lama, leader of the Tibetan Buddhism, sees a lot of potential in disabilities. They help us to lead an unselfish and graciously life.

Edited by Ally Bongo

20 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Think it's fairly straightforward

It was a belief that he didnt make up on his own 

https://www.myhandicap.com/en/information-disability-chonical-illness/health-and-aids/mental-health/disability-religion/

In Buddhism, the concept of Karma explains a cause of disabilities. The disabled person receives the Karma of past life. Strictly seen, the disability is the result of committed mistakes in past life.

However, this is not all. Disability also includes the parents, the therapists and cares of the disabled person. For them and other people around the disabled person, the disability offers a chance to develop charity what results into a good karma for next life. The Dalai Lama, leader of the Tibetan Buddhism, sees a lot of potential in disabilities. They help us to lead an unselfish and graciously life.

He may not have made it up but he chose to agree with it, and to share this via the media. 

Ally, if these comnents had been made by one of many politicians you dislike  I doubt you would be so generous with your interpretation. Just because he was a talented footballer doesnt make it ok.  Unless you are a Buddhist. 

Can you imagine being a disabled person or the parent of a disabled child and hearing this ? 

I dont want to move the thread down this road, there is no doubt of his talent and I believe he apologised, but he and he alone made those comments. He was hardly a vulnerable and uneducated target.   

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Ally, if these comnents had been made by one of many politicians you dislike  I doubt you would be so generous with your interpretation. Just because he was a talented footballer doesnt make it ok.  Unless you are a Buddhist. 

Whole World of difference between politicians and football celebrities ...

For the record i thought he had lost the plot when he made the comments and was as offended as most people

He rightly lost his job because of it and paid the price

Where do we draw the line ?

He apologised, said he was misinterpreted and was sacked

Dont think my interpretation however is wrong

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

For the record i thought he had lost the plot when he made the comments and was as offended as most people

In certain circles high profile footballers have more clout with the public than politicians.... 

I am not asking for the guy to be shunned for something he said 20 years ago, I am saying he and he alone was responsible for choosing to say it. 

We will need to agree to disagree on this one as I cant articulate  my point in any other way. 

25 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

And that Ryanair passenger has claimed not to be a racist...

On 10/27/2018 at 9:17 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Yep, nice pic. He got hammered for getting conned into some sort of Christian/Buddhist bullshit and expressing it with the eloquence of someone who was very good at kicking a ball.

Wow how admirably tolerant. Hoddle I recall said disabled people deserved their lives due to their sins in a past life. 

17 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Scotty,

Have you ever posted anything worse on the tamb than what Glen Hoddle said in public back in the day?

using the brackets of invisibility. (no you never did?)

coz i don't recall you ever did.

Edited by thplinth

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

Scotty,

Have you ever posted anything worse on the tamb than what Glen Hoddle said in public back in the day?

I've posted (and continue to post) things that have been (and are) incredibly unpopular, with the difference (thankfully) being that popularity has no bearing on truth.

(There was no truth, however, in what Glenn Hoddle said.)

3 hours ago, ger intae them said:

(You are quite far from getting "it")

Or in turn, you are far for getting that I get it.

3 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I've posted (and continue to post) things that have been (and are) incredibly unpopular, with the difference (thankfully) being that popularity has no bearing on truth.

Aye it is strange you attract such animosity considering you are pretty mild when all is said and done.

We all make mistakes and all need forgiveness at some point. 

I don't think Mr CTA attracts animosity... i guess some people, me included, struggle with what seems to be a decent, intelligent fella with a strength of belief (largely of nonsense) who just won't open his mind, and has the arrogant 'my way or highway (to hell)' attitude... and of course he's a sheep 😉

Buddhism - If you do bad things in this life it wont be pleasant for you in the next one

Christianity - If you do bad things in life and dont meet other criteria it wont be pleasant for you when you die

5 hours ago, thplinth said:

Aye it is strange you attract such animosity considering you are pretty mild when all is said and done.

We all make mistakes and all need forgiveness at some point. 

Can you imagine a world where everyone forgave everybody? :)

43 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

I don't think Mr CTA attracts animosity... i guess some people, me included, struggle with what seems to be a decent, intelligent fella with a strength of belief (largely of nonsense) who just won't open his mind...

Ironically, I got to this point by opening my mind.

45 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

and has the arrogant 'my way or highway (to hell)' attitude... 

A loving God HAS TO BE a just God.

Sin must be dealt with (and I'm just telling folk what the 'antidote' is).

His name is Jesus.

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Christianity - If you do bad things in life and dont meet other criteria it wont be pleasant for you when you die

I'm a sinner and I'm still going to the glory of heaven because I believe in my heart by grace through faith that the Son Of God  (Who is God The Son) took on flesh, lived a sinless life, died on a cross, and rose from the grave.

That is the Gospel (Good News) of salvation in one sentence.

I was at church yesterday for a baptism. It really is a total sham. Every cunt looked thoroughly miserable and the service was mind numbingly boring. How any cunt can sit through that pish every week is beyond me. There’s more fun watching Berwick Rangers.

Piss up afterwards was splendid though so that hour of rancidness was worth it.

44 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I'm a sinner and I'm still going to the glory of heaven because I believe in my heart by grace through faith that the Son Of God  (Who is God The Son) took on flesh, lived a sinless life, died on a cross, and rose from the grave.

That is the Gospel (Good News) of salvation in one sentence.

"Other criteria"

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

I was at church yesterday for a baptism. It really is a total sham. Every cunt looked thoroughly miserable and the service was mind numbingly boring. How any cunt can sit through that pish every week is beyond me. There’s more fun watching Berwick Rangers.

😂😂😂

16 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Or in turn, you are far for getting that I get it.

The problem is Scotty, its not the truth. You have no evidence for what you say, therefore it is only opinion. 

As was what Hoddle said. There's as much truth in what he said as in what you say. 

My opinion is he was talking absolute shite. My brother has cerebral palsy and is a far nicer person than me, which isn't that hard really. 😀 

Nobody knows the truth about what comes after life, if anything, as whatever happens they don't appear to let you pop back for a chat. 

Edit = forgot to say I hope he recovers fully. Whatever he said it wasn't like he actually harmed anyone. Sticks and stones etc. 

Edited by RenfrewBlue

18 hours ago, macy37 said:

How long have you been a minister now?