The Great Global Warming Swindle - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Great Global Warming Swindle

45 minutes ago, thplinth said:

These are the true tragedies of human impact on the planet. 

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/A_wilderness_horror_story_999.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07183-6

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/living-plant-wwf-2018-1.4882819

I do not give a fuck about global warming because a) i find the science behind it unconvincing and b) if it were true the only real damage it would do is to slow humanity's asset stripping and rape of the planet.

Global warming if a real existential threat to us would be the best result for the rest of the planet. It seems odd to me that the current wave of environmentalists evidently do not care so much about animals and plants but just that we humans might get flooded one day and fuck up our nice lives.

Global warming will destroy all sorts of ecosystems, and the animals that live in them. So it’s not just us it’ll screw. Better to stop it and save them, surely?

Just now, biffer said:

Global warming will destroy all sorts of ecosystems, and the animals that live in them. So it’s not just us it’ll screw. Better to stop it and save them, surely?

As far as the planet is concerned - a door closes and a window opens.

We are the problem.

(Not CO2.)

I was kinda hoping we could find a happy equilibrium. lol.

edit: I can understand the anger of some who think important issues are being ignored but equally I feel the focus on CO2 is a total blind alley while the real issues are ignored. If we stop producing CO2 will the loss of habitat slow or the mass extinction? No, it would increase as it a green light for more of what we have already done.

Edited by thplinth

Adapt or die. That's the way I look at it.

If the environment becomes too stable it stifles evolution. It's time for some changes to the environment to give a push to the march of evolution. I don't want another big asteroid hit or anything like that. That would be taking things just a wee bit too far.

it’s the fragmentation of habitats rather than climate change per se that worries me. Nature can deal with most conditions if it has somewhere to go.

One thing i’ve not seen discussed is the potential melting of the tundra - not in the context of methane, but the resultant advance of the taiga forest which would surely result in a huge increase in the vegetative cover of the Earths surface. 

On 11/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, Orraloon said:

Adapt or die. That's the way I look at it.

If the environment becomes too stable it stifles evolution. It's time for some changes to the environment to give a push to the march of evolution. I don't want another big asteroid hit or anything like that. That would be taking things just a wee bit too far.

A matter of when not if. 

24 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

it’s the fragmentation of habitats rather than climate change per se that worries me. Nature can deal with most conditions if it has somewhere to go.

One thing i’ve not seen discussed is the potential melting of the tundra - not in the context of methane, but the resultant advance of the taiga forest which would surely result in a huge increase in the vegetative cover of the Earths surface. 

Plants love CO2. Farmers inject it into green houses to boost plant growth. The idea it is a pollutant or a poison is an absolute lie. If the earth went high CO2 and historically we are low it would be a massive boost to vegetation. The planet would get warmer but it would also get wetter, nothing happens in isolation in this system.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, thplinth said:

This should scare the piss out of you far more than the claims about global warming.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/magazine/insect-apocalypse.html

That has now been posted in every board i frequent , first time ever for a random topic.

https://aeon.co/essays/inside-the-mind-of-a-bee-is-a-hive-of-sensory-activity

is interesting too.

Edited by phart

• 4 months later...

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

Carbon Dioxide Fertilization Greening Earth, Study Finds

From a quarter to half of Earth’s vegetated lands has shown significant greening over the last 35 years largely due to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Climate Change on April 25.

An international team of 32 authors from 24 institutions in eight countries led the effort, which involved using satellite data from NASA’s Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectrometer and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer instruments to help determine the leaf area index, or amount of leaf cover, over the planet’s vegetated regions. The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States.

Edited by thplinth

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 4:01 PM, thplinth said:

I was kinda hoping we could find a happy equilibrium. lol.

Kill your pets (huge unnecessary cause of global warming)

• 1 month later...

Before anyone complains about using the Daily Mail as source you can fuck the right off... you can find it else where

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7200031/German-experts-claim-bugs-dying-alarming-rates.html

This is grim as fuck and all the usual bedwetting 'environmentalists on here are totally silent as usual.

The Greens... what the fuck are you and where the fuck are you? All you focus on is on man made CO2 and this catastrophic shit just passes you over... bizarre. You deserve everything coming you way.  Ohhh noooo we are going to be flooded in our animal free planet... good you zombie self centered cunts you especially deserve it.

13 hours ago, thplinth said:

Before anyone complains about using the Daily Mail as source you can fuck the right off... you can find it else where

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7200031/German-experts-claim-bugs-dying-alarming-rates.html

This is grim as fuck and all the usual bedwetting 'environmentalists on here are totally silent as usual.

The Greens... what the fuck are you and where the fuck are you? All you focus on is on man made CO2 and this catastrophic shit just passes you over... bizarre. You deserve everything coming you way.  Ohhh noooo we are going to be flooded in our animal free planet... good you zombie self centered cunts you especially deserve it.

Yeah we're going through the 6th mass extinction event (Halocene extinction). Attenborough has been going about the last 6 months talking frantically about it.

Some other stats.

Humans and their livestock now make up 95% of all mammal biomass, so every other mammal in existence all bears,lions,elephants etc is 5% of the total biomass. only 26% of avian biomass is wild birds now. Then we have this with the insects, i read 2.5% reduction each year.

• 2 months later...