Pick the top 3 now. - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pick the top 3 now.

30 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

If you can pick up 6 or 7 points in the next 3 matches it will make for a very interesting January.

It is always easier to attract players when you are flying high and I'm sure Clarke will be looking to strengthen if he can.

However, when you are doing well, there is always the risk of players being taken away.  There must be loads of clubs looking at the likes of Taylor, Findlay, Jones. Brophy and others. 

Jones will be away as he's out of contract in summer and not signing a new one.

The others are all under contract until 2021 at least and out them all, Jones if the ones I'd lose less sleep over.

Taylor is pick of the bunch.

21 hours ago, Parklife said:

I think that people have every right to question why we've been so poor this season. We lost McLean (which we knew about in January) and we chose to let Rooney go.

McInnes has brought in May for £400k (2017), Cosgrove (Jan 2018) for £30k, Forrester for circa £250k and Gleeson to replace these guys. I don't think it's unfair to question if that £700k outlay has been wisely spent. Particularly as Gleeson and Forrester can't even get on the pitch. He's known about losing players and if he's failed to replace them, then that's his fault. 

It's good to see he's finally prepared to try playing 2 up front. Although monumentally frustrating that he never tried it at all last season when we had Greg Stewart (who's now tearing up the league playing as a second striker for Killie). 

There's plenty McInnes deserves to be criticised for, so i don't think attempting to label those doing so as some sort of blinkered "brigade" is correct, nor fair. 

He's not beyond criticism that's for sure, particularly when it comes to some of the signings, but I was referring to the hardcore people who go beyond fair criticism and blame him for everything. Not necessarily anyone on here but on some of the Dons forums the negativity towards him is unreal and there is undoubtedly a fair few blinkered supporters out there who won't be happy until he's gone.

Just to play devil's advocate...

23 hours ago, Parklife said:

I think that people have every right to question why we've been so poor this season. We lost McLean (which we knew about in January) and we chose to let Rooney go.

- we got great production from Rooney. He had already hit his prime (and we got 375k for him). No complaints from me.

McInnes has brought in May for £400k (2017), Cosgrove (Jan 2018) for £30k, Forrester for circa £250k and Gleeson to replace these guys.

- May was a little pricey considering his injury (and being re-injured by Jack didn't help). Seems to have found his role now. Just needs to find the net for everything to be in place.

- Cosgrove was a deal. 6 goals and counting. Only 22, and already valued at 5 times what we paid.

- I believe that Forrester was 200k. Finally back on the pitch after the loss of his sister. Fingers crossed for the lad.

- Gleeson... Set up St. Mirren's only goal and he hasn't appeared since.

I don't think it's unfair to question if that £700k outlay has been wisely spent. 

Agreed. The main signings are on the bench.

He's known about losing players and if he's failed to replace them, then that's his fault. 

McInnes had identified the players he wanted and was told by the board that they were too expensive.

It's good to see he's finally prepared to try playing 2 up front. Although monumentally frustrating that he never tried it at all last season when we had Greg Stewart (who's now tearing up the league playing as a second striker for Killie). 

It absolutely is. :(

There's plenty McInnes deserves to be criticised for, so i don't think attempting to label those doing so as some sort of blinkered "brigade" is correct, nor fair. 

The shouts of 'McInnes out' are ridiculous.

Guest faircity

Forrester looks duff, he couldn't even get a corner beyond the near post but the hope is once he gets fit he shows that he has some ability.

We still desperately need to replace Kenny McLean more than anything else though so hopefully that is fixed in January. Getting in another striker would be good and the clearing up of a few injuries which would, in turn, reduce the dependency on Considine would also be a massive positive. The emergence of Mclennan is another huge bonus.

Pretty sure we will finish third at worst e with the current squad but with a couple of tweaks who knows. 

16 hours ago, faircity said:

Forrester looks duff, he couldn't even get a corner beyond the near post but the hope is once he gets fit he shows that he has some ability.

We still desperately need to replace Kenny McLean more than anything else though so hopefully that is fixed in January. Getting in another striker would be good and the clearing up of a few injuries which would, in turn, reduce the dependency on Considine would also be a massive positive. The emergence of Mclennan is another huge bonus.

Pretty sure we will finish third at worst e with the current squad but with a couple of tweaks who knows. 

Niall Mcginn has made a career out of not beating the first post from a corner. 

I think we are looking good or arguably looking better than ever for this season and that's without GMS or a fully fit Forrester. May and cosgrove striking up a partnership has been the saviour, I never saw that working in a million years 👍🏻

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Niall Mcginn has made a career out of not beating the first post from a corner. 

I think we are looking good or arguably looking better than ever for this season and that's without GMS or a fully fit Forrester. May and cosgrove striking up a partnership has been the saviour, I never saw that working in a million years 👍🏻

I may be looking at it half glass full, but I'm really worried about what our squad will look like after the transfer window. The vibes are that Lowe will be recalled by Derby, McKenna will probably be sold, Devlin + Reynolds + Hoban are all medium / long term injured - what defenders will we be able to field? Further up the park, Shinnie and GMS could well be looking for a move - do we take some fee now or run down their contracts?

There's absolutely nothing I've seen from Forrester that suggests he's anything other than completely out of his depth. He (with his £200k transfer fee) along with Gleeson and Wilson are in the top wage bracket at Pittodrie, giving practically zero in return. 

The May / Cosgrove partnership is promising as is the emergence of Connor McLennan and Bruce Anderson.

8 minutes ago, min said:

I may be looking at it half glass full, but I'm really worried about what our squad will look like after the transfer window. The vibes are that Lowe will be recalled by Derby, McKenna will probably be sold, Devlin + Reynolds + Hoban are all medium / long term injured - what defenders will we be able to field? Further up the park, Shinnie and GMS could well be looking for a move - do we take some fee now or run down their contracts?

There's absolutely nothing I've seen from Forrester that suggests he's anything other than completely out of his depth. He (with his £200k transfer fee) along with Gleeson and Wilson are in the top wage bracket at Pittodrie, giving practically zero in return. 

The May / Cosgrove partnership is promising as is the emergence of Connor McLennan and Bruce Anderson.

Derby have said Lowe is going back, there was a tweet from afc today regarding that.

Devlin will be back after  we year as will GMS. You never know, shinnie and GMS, might sign, then the glass is full again.

I agree regarding Wilson, Forrester and Wilson. Wilson in particular can bugger off.

1 hour ago, min said:

I also wouldn't be surprised if Gleeson, Forrester and Wilson come to agreement to go elsewhere, mcinnes has done this before.

It may end up a busy window for the dons.

I'm not sure if Anderson is the real deal, I thought he would kick on due to our lack of forwards but the white drogba🤣 has all of sudden found form

Mcginn and GMS should be worried, McLennan has the ability to take either of their positions 

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, vanderark14 said:

I also wouldn't be surprised if Gleeson, Forrester and Wilson come to agreement to go elsewhere, mcinnes has done this before.

It may end up a busy window for the dons.

I'm not sure if Anderson is the real deal, I thought he would kick on due to our lack of forwards but the white drogba🤣 has all of sudden found form

Mcginn and GMS should be worried, McLennan has the ability to take either of their positions 

I saw him come on against Celtic and was very impressed. He's a box of tricks!

Hopefully McInnes keeps faith with the kid and he develops.

I've always had a soft spot for Aberdeen ever since I was a child. Hopefully they can keep this form up and do the improbable by winning the league... them or Kilmarnock... or Hearts, Hibs...Livingston... etc...