Huawei phones - Opinions - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Huawei phones - Opinions

Looking to replace my Sony Xperia XZ and have had a look at the Huawei P20. Does anyone have one of these or know much about them. 

The Sony has been a decent phone but the battery life is rubbish, especially now when it's 2 years old. 

Is the Huawei any good? 

17 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Looking to replace my Sony Xperia XZ and have had a look at the Huawei P20. Does anyone have one of these or know much about them. 

The Sony has been a decent phone but the battery life is rubbish, especially now when it's 2 years old. 

Is the Huawei any good? 

I have the Huawei P20 Pro (the model up from P20). The camera is superb as is the battery life which lasts a day and more without charge. It has its quirks like a frustrating space button too close to the home button causing you to inadvertently close down actext or social media page before you jave completing your message. All in all a great phone and cheaper than Samsung and iPhones.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have the Huawei P20 Pro (the model up from P20). The camera is superb as is the battery life which lasts a day and more without charge. It has its quirks like a frustrating space button too close to the home button causing you to inadvertently close down actext or social media page before you jave completing your message. All in all a great phone and cheaper than Samsung and iPhones.

Thanks Craig. Can't stand Apple so won't be getting an iPhone and don't really like the Samsung designs. Not sure why not but I just don't like them. 

Have had a couple of HTC and Sony phones and definitely think the Sonys are better than the HTC but just don't know anyone with a higher spec Huawei. 

What's the screen quality like? 

You could tr a Google Pixel 2 or 2XL.  With the pixel 3 and 3xl about to go on sale in a couple weeks, I would expect the prices of last year's models to some down a bit.

I've been using a Pixel 2XL for the last year and it's a cracking phone.

I've had the P9 for a year and a half now and although it's not going on much it's the best phone i have had

I only really use it for accessing the internet which is quick but it has a great camera 

I wouldn't get anything other than a Huawei for the foreseeable when my contract is up in January mainly because of the quality and price 

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Thanks Craig. Can't stand Apple so won't be getting an iPhone and don't really like the Samsung designs. Not sure why not but I just don't like them. 

Have had a couple of HTC and Sony phones and definitely think the Sonys are better than the HTC but just don't know anyone with a higher spec Huawei. 

What's the screen quality like? 

Screen quality is fine on my Huawei P20 Pro. The camera is award-winning in the mobile industry and like I day battery lasts for a day easy. Also has a beautiful colour scheme that is great on the eye but like most phones is prone to fingerprints. Speaking ofcthem has a good in-screen fingerprint reader. Software is a bit fiddly in the settings department but aside from that I cannot find anything else worth complaining about. Very quick at charging too.

1 hour ago, tartandon said:

You could tr a Google Pixel 2 or 2XL.  With the pixel 3 and 3xl about to go on sale in a couple weeks, I would expect the prices of last year's models to some down a bit.

I've been using a Pixel 2XL for the last year and it's a cracking phone.

I had a look at the Pixel earlier this year for the wife, when she upgraded but the price was still way too high. 

I'll give them another look just now. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I've had the P9 for a year and a half now and although it's not going on much it's the best phone i have had

I only really use it for accessing the internet which is quick but it has a great camera 

I wouldn't get anything other than a Huawei for the foreseeable when my contract is up in January mainly because of the quality and price 

Thanks Ally. Personal recommendations are always useful. I can blame you if I get one and don't like it. 😀 

Im paying £35 a month just now but want to reduce that. Need to have more than 5Gb of data though, which might mean I'll have to leave Vodafone as they are just much more expensive than the other networks. 

44 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Screen quality is fine on my Huawei P20 Pro. The camera is award-winning in the mobile industry and like I day battery lasts for a day easy. Also has a beautiful colour scheme that is great on the eye but like most phones is prone to fingerprints. Speaking ofcthem has a good in-screen fingerprint reader. Software is a bit fiddly in the settings department but aside from that I cannot find anything else worth complaining about. Very quick at charging too.

I like the sound of the battery life, as mines is just so bad now. 

I always stick a screen protector on now, so fingerprints are not an issue. Hopefully neither would scratches be. 

4 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I heard OnePlus are meant to be best phones - guys on here were recommending few years back 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnePlus_One

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_one-6327.php

Thanks Euan. Not seen these before so will have a look and see what they offer. 

4 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I have the P10 and the missus has the P20. Both very good camera and memory.

Can't say I see a lot of difference in the battery life but the super charge comes in handy. I'm guessing most phones have that now though.

Cheers. You'd be surprised. My Sony sometimes charges quickly and other times it's an overnight job. Feckin useless. 

Battery also dies on its arse regularly during the day. Especially now its knocking on a bit. 

That's part of the reason for not sticking with Sony. Too expensive and shite battery life. 

18 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I heard OnePlus are meant to be best phones - guys on here were recommending few years back 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnePlus_One

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_one-6327.php

superb phones and a decent price.

charge in half an hour.

don't buy their bullet earphones though, they're not great.

they've jumped up in price a fair but but still miles cheaper than an iphone, and still good value. the current one (oneplus 6t i think is around £500. buy direct from their website and they're unlocked.