Northern Ireland - Lafferty - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Northern Ireland - Lafferty

Good.

I’ve often thought the same, I’d call Matt Ritchie up to every squad then do same.

:lol:

I can understand why FAs don’t do it, as it will damage the relationship with the clubs and players.

Wilk they be singing you can stick your Northern Ireland up yer bum on Saturday?

9 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Good.

I’ve often thought the same, I’d call Matt Ritchie up to every squad then do same.

I can understand why FAs don’t do it, as it will damage the relationship with the clubs and players.

Wilk they be singing you can stick your Northern Ireland up yer bum on Saturday?

Interesting. Not bothered about Lafferty missing the game as if we can't beat Hamilton without him, the seasons a bust anyway. 

It will be interesting to see how this affects him for future games or are they now not going to pick him? 

If he was injured, as he claimed then it was simlle enough to pop over and get their medics to cert him. Stupid boy. Although I think we all already knew that. 

12 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Interesting. Not bothered about Lafferty missing the game as if we can't beat Hamilton without him, the seasons a bust anyway. 

It will be interesting to see how this affects him for future games or are they now not going to pick him? 

If he was injured, as he claimed then it was simlle enough to pop over and get their medics to cert him. Stupid boy. Although I think we all already knew that. 

O’neill and NI seem to have been pretty loyal to Lafferty regardless of club form or off field troubles, so perhaps they felt they deserved a bit more from him...

I can’t see any way back for his international career from here, and they must’ve known that when they decided to do this.

9 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

O’neill and NI seem to have been pretty loyal to Lafferty regardless of club form or off field troubles, so perhaps they felt they deserved a bit more from him...

I can’t see any way back for his international career from here, and they must’ve known that when they decided to do this.

Totally agree. That or they're expecting Lafferty to say sorry. Can't see that happening though. 

37 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Totally agree. That or they're expecting Lafferty to say sorry. Can't see that happening though. 

It’s an interesting one politically for a section of the Rangers support.

If the SFA has pulled this it would be full F&@£ the SFA etc.

In fact its an interesting one from a NI supporter point of view too, I know they are trying to be inclusive, but making this move against Rangers might not sit well with their traditional support.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

In fact its an interesting one from a NI supporter point of view too, I know they are trying to be inclusive, but making this move against Rangers might not sit well with their traditional support.

That's actually true (certainly with a vocal minority within the Rangers support), it's actually really sad & embarrassing to hear our own folk belting out ditties such as "stick your tartan army up yer arse", "no tartan army in moscow" & "Fuck the SFA" (well I actually agree with that one) :lol:

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Fuck political stuff. NI are entitled to do this, so it's just tough and they should accept it and move on. 

The ball is now in Laffertys court and its up to him if wants to keep playing for his country. 

The support can moan about as per. It'll mean nothing and influence nothing. I'd rather those "supporters" fecked off as well. 

12 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Fuck political stuff. NI are entitled to do this, so it's just tough and they should accept it and move on. 

The ball is now in Laffertys court and its up to him if wants to keep playing for his country. 

The support can moan about as per. It'll mean nothing and influence nothing. I'd rather those "supporters" fecked off as well. 

Yeah, it’s great that they’ve risen above any potential backlash, given the club the players at, but it’s a dangerous move in terms of club/country relationships for any national team.

I’m watching with interest as I think Scotland should have used this rule in the past...

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Yeah, it’s great that they’ve risen above any potential backlash, given the club the players at, but it’s a dangerous move in terms of club/country relationships for any national team.

I’m watching with interest as I think Scotland should have used this rule in the past...

Scotland could certainly have used the rule before but I'm not sure our FA has the balls. 

After all it could have been used with Griffiths this time but nothing. So I'd be shocked if they ever use it. 

It’s a bit of a lovers riff in all honesty. Lafferty should have turned up and been assessed by the medical staff and then withdrawn. MON was furious that he contacted him on the Sunday night after he’d played against Hearts although the fact that Lafferty apparently didn’t  even mention his injury to Austen McPhee after the Hearts game probably added to his fury! It will be interesting to see who blinks next in this. If Lafferty takes the hump and retires we are stuffed up front but ultimately Kyle does what  is best for Kyle Lafferty and always has. I only wish MON takes the same action in future with Conor Washington who seems to pick and choose when and what games he turns up for! 

7 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Scotland could certainly have used the rule before but I'm not sure our FA has the balls. 

After all it could have been used with Griffiths this time but nothing. So I'd be shocked if they ever use it. 

SFA couldn't use it on Griffiths as it would be 5 days from Sunday he couldn't play 

29 minutes ago, Glass Ankles said:

SFA couldn't use it on Griffiths as it would be 5 days from Sunday he couldn't play 

Apparently they can, NI played on Monday and Rangers don’t play until Sunday which is 6 dats, but the international break ran until Tuesday so that’s the date....

I get players pulling out of friendly double headers if they’re not 100% (I’m sure players play club football at 90% all the time, in his 3 years at Motherwell I don’t think I ever saw Stephen Hughes 100% fit...) but I think they should push themselves for competetive games, although perhaps the Nations keague has blurred that line a bit...