Coefficiency and reading for UEFA Qualifiers - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coefficiency and reading for UEFA Qualifiers

Greenpegasus

Greetings,

Like everyone else here, I have been sorely disappointed with our recent results.

Thinking further ahead, surely all these defeats are going to affect our Coefficient standing, ultimately giving Scotland a tougher time qualifying due to being in a low pot (possibly 3 or even 4)

We really need to get a result against Albania, but like previous posters have mentioned, when it matters away from home we almost always fail.

Anyone optimistic? By topping our nation's group we would still have to face 2 further games, against better opposition than Albania and Israel.

Just now, Greenpegasus said:

Greetings,

Like everyone else here, I have been sorely disappointed with our recent results.

Thinking further ahead, surely all these defeats are going to affect our Coefficient standing, ultimately giving Scotland a tougher time qualifying due to being in a low pot (possibly 3 or even 4)

We really need to get a result against Albania, but like previous posters have mentioned, when it matters away from home we almost always fail.

Anyone optimistic? By topping our nation's group we would still have to face 2 further games, against better opposition than Albania and Israel.

If we finish top or one of the best 2 second placed team from leagues C, we will be pot 3.

If we finish bottom or one of the worst 2 second placed teams, we will be pot 4. 

We really need to win this group, for both the play-off spot and the Euro 2020 draw. 

1 minute ago, Greenpegasus said:

Greetings,

I try to remain optimistic when possible. It's tough at the moment, but here are the two things I keep saying to myself:

1) we still have a really good chance of topping this group, which put us in a guaranteed Euro playoff.
2) that playoff will not take place for a long time, which could give us a chance to sort things out a bit.

11 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I try to remain optimistic when possible. It's tough at the moment, but here are the two things I keep saying to myself:

1) we still have a really good chance of topping this group, which put us in a guaranteed Euro playoff.
2) that playoff will not take place for a long time, which could give us a chance to sort things out a bit.

We need to sort ourselves out by next month or there will not be a play-off (at League C level anyway).

If we end up in pot 4, we won't qualify for Euro 2020.  It is likely we'd be in a group with 3 teams from Leagues A and B, possibly 2 from A and 1 from B.

It would be tough enough from Pot 3 but at least it would mean a team like Albania or Israel rather than a team like Sweden or Serbia, plus the top 2 seeds.

Next month is huge to our chances.  McLeish needs to make sure every fir player is available, in a system that works and understands the importance of the two matches. 

Ah so the UEFA coefficient ranking is now irrelevant and it's which teir of the nation's league = which pot you are in.

I am still nervous about our trip to Albania, we may have dominated them at hampden, but that means little on the road.

It's never nice to see the national team lose so often, nor see so many of our supposed top players pull out of internationals, seems to be a regulat occurance these days.

On 10/15/2018 at 12:43 PM, mrniaboc said:

I am hopeful that we can win this group too. I also wonder whether all the players are taking this as seriously as they should. It is a great opportunity and, if this was our position with two games to go in proper Euros qualifying group, I would be delighted with having to get 4 points from these two games. This probably shows that I am not fully respecting this competition myself. 

On 10/15/2018 at 6:42 AM, PASTA Mick said:

If we finish top or one of the best 2 second placed team from leagues C, we will be pot 3.

If we finish bottom or one of the worst 2 second placed teams, we will be pot 4. 

We really need to win this group, for both the play-off spot and the Euro 2020 draw. 

How many teams will we have in our group next year?

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

How many teams will we have in our group next year?

Depends on who our pot 1 team is I suppose. 

The four League A group winners will all be in a group of 5 so if we are drawn into one of their groups we will be in a group of 5. 

There will be one more group of 5 and 5 groups of 6 so it’s really a 50/50 chance of getting a group of 5 or a group of 6.  

I hope we’re in a group of 6 though. That will save us playing shitey friendlies in June. 

Being the pot 4 team in a group of 5 would  suck balls as well. I’m hoping we’re the pot 3 team in a group of 6.