Back McLeish - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Back McLeish

Rolling hIlls

As much as I'm not confident under McLeish at the moment - he will have my support until the day he is out of the job. I'm not looking to cut any noses off to spite our face, but we can reassess if we fail to win this Nations League Group.

Let's not have incidents of jeering him during games or before a ball is kicked - recent embarrassing examples of that from the TA include Chris Martin and Ryan Jack. But unfortunately we are aware that we have a minority of backwards moronic weapons that will likely do that.

Hopefully McLeish is on to something. I don't see it but what do I know :D

18 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

But that "extra body back there" leaves us light in midfield because let's be honest we play a 5-3-2 not 3-5-2. Plus as someone said we don't really have anyone who plays wing back apart from possibly Ryan Fraser. Right now, in my humble opinion, we need to play some variation of a 4-5-1, and building the midfield around McGinn, Armstrong, McGregor and possibly Cairney and Fraser.

4-2-3-1. Tierney and McTominay as the defensive 2. It's what McTominay does at Man Utd, similar to the mention earlier of Milner at Liverpool, and being in front of the back 4 for Tierney will place him in an area of the park where he spends a lot of his time in a Celtic shirt 😂

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Porteous ahead of Hendry ?

One youngster for another? What’s the point in that? 

I get that Hendry has made mistakes but all young players do.

I think McLeish has a decent blend of youth and experience in his squads. It’s what he does with the players that’s the problem at the moment.

15 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah I know what you meant but I wouldn’t  call it intelligence. 

Composure is what a lot of our players are lacking. 

The football always seems to be heavier as well when a lot of our players have it compared to when better players have the ball. 

Really? I would. I think it's a combination of things, "off the ball", "concentration", and a few more other mental attributes. I just think our kids are trained in the wrong way, even professionally, you hear about the players saying that they train 90% without the ball (fitness) and only 10% with the ball (basics). Surely this has something to do with our lack of composure? Plus children training of full sized pitches is a bit of a scandal. They should train on 5-a-size pitches from the ages of 8-14/15.

I don't blame this entirely on the SFA/SPFL, I also blame the clubs. If the clubs have the focus and the determination of bringing on their own kids and training them the right way, teaching them the fundamentals, (even if it meant making money from them.) then they could have. Celtic are the main culprits, they could have academies dotted all over Scotland and they could use the blueprint of Spanish clubs. (I mention Celtic as they have the most money. Other clubs could do it to a lesser scale)

Culpability has to be spread to all quarters. 

I read a post from someone about the Scotland fans complaining to their MSP about the ineptitude and mismanagement of the SFA, that they aren't fit for purpose. I do think it might have to come down to this. I might sound like a ridiculous notion, but image if 10,000/30,000 people complain about the SFA, I don't think the Scottish parliament would be able to ignore it.

However, organizing the petition, that's the problem.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Really? I would. I think it's a combination of things, "off the ball", "concentration", and a few more other mental attributes. I just think our kids are trained in the wrong way, even professionally, you hear about the players saying that they train 90% without the ball (fitness) and only 10% with the ball (basics). Surely this has something to do with our lack of composure? Plus children training of full sized pitches is a bit of a scandal. They should train on 5-a-size pitches from the ages of 8-14/15.

I don't blame this entirely on the SFA/SPFL, I also blame the clubs. If the clubs have the focus and the determination of bringing on their own kids and training them the right way, teaching them the fundamentals, (even if it meant making money from them.) then they could have. Celtic are the main culprits, they could have academies dotted all over Scotland and they could use the blueprint of Spanish clubs. (I mention Celtic as they have the most money. Other clubs could do it to a lesser scale)

Culpability has to be spread to all quarters. 

I read a post from someone about the Scotland fans complaining to their MSP about the ineptitude and mismanagement of the SFA, that they aren't fit for purpose. I do think it might have to come down to this. I might sound like a ridiculous notion, but image if 10,000/30,000 people complain about the SFA, I don't think the Scottish parliament would be able to ignore it.

However, organizing the petition, that's the problem.

Coaching at youth level is definitely a problem in this country. Or at least it used to be. I have heard things have improved over the last 10 years but I’m not sure if that’s true or not. There used to be an obsession with winning at all costs and the actual style of football played didn’t matter. Hopefully this isn’t the case any longer. A lot of countries focus on individual achievements in terms of youth tournaments rather than whether the team wins or not.

FIFA don’t take kindly to governments interfering with football associations so I’m not sure what the government could do except withdraw any funding the currently provide.

As far as I can remember, the majority of government funding for the SFA is to do with community projects and grassroots type programmes. 

If the government were to stop funding these things then we would only be making things worse. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Coaching at youth level is definitely a problem in this country. Or at least it used to be. I have heard things have improved over the last 10 years but I’m not sure if that’s true or not. There used to be an obsession with winning at all costs and the actual style of football played didn’t matter. Hopefully this isn’t the case any longer. A lot of countries focus on individual achievements in terms of youth tournaments rather than whether the team wins or not.

FIFA don’t take kindly to governments interfering with football associations so I’m not sure what the government could do except withdraw any funding the currently provide.

As far as I can remember, the majority of government funding for the SFA is to do with community projects and grassroots type programmes. 

If the government were to stop funding these things then we would only be making things worse. 

Hopefully there's a change in ethos and attitude but there's really no way of knowing for another 5-10 years. Personally, I very much doubt it, but I'm cynical. We've heard so much about "change" over the past few years that I'm beginning to think that they're just telling the fans what they want to hear. Our Under 21s certainly don't appear to be better than they've been for the past decade or so, or at least, our results aren't getting much better. And yes, the "winning at all cost" mentality is baffling. 

I'm not really sure how the lower age groups are doing (or at least, how they're playing) so I can't comment on the grassroots.

Good point.

I do think if the government did stop funding then it might the SFA into some sort of action. I mean, what are they doing with this funding? It's not like proper indoor facilities cost £100+ million. Just look at Iceland and the amount of facilities that they have, they put the SFA to shame.

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I still think this 'project brave' is a bit of a fad, where we might churn out a few decent players, before it then dies a death. 

How many of these six SFA footballing centres were eventually built, that were talked about in the Vogts era?

My thoughts exactly. How lazy are the SFA? All they have to do is go on a plane (something that they're experts in) and travel the France and get the Clairefontaine blueprints.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/08/24/clairefontaine-the-dream-factory-that-changed-french-football-forever/

The "project brave" sounds like lip service to me. 

I'm not sure. Probably none.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

My thoughts exactly. How lazy are the SFA? All they have to do is go on a plane (something that they're experts in) and travel the France and get the Clairefontaine blueprints.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/08/24/clairefontaine-the-dream-factory-that-changed-french-football-forever/

Good article that 👍🏼

9 hours ago, Chripper said:

How lazy are you, if you haven’t bothered to check the performances and results of the lower age groups before writing  them off?

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

How lazy are you, if you haven’t bothered to check the performances and results of the lower age groups before writing  them off?

I didn't say anything about not knowing the results of the lower age groups, I mentioned that I'm not privy to the performances.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:57 AM, N4Footsoldier said:

As much as I'm not confident under McLeish at the moment - he will have my support until the day he is out of the job.

That is exactly why failures get to continue for so long. Its absolutely the wrong attitude for fans to have.

7 hours ago, kumnio said:

That is exactly why failures get to continue for so long. Its absolutely the wrong attitude for fans to have.

Accurate.

Its why strachan got too long and McLeish already has had too long after a situ where he never should have been appointed.

Those stating “we didn’t know how good we had it under Strachan” need to get a grip too.

We had it pretty bad now we have it really bad.

Young manager with new ideas and charisma badly needed. 

Giggs showing you don’t need managerial experience also so it doesn’t have to be a 60 year old stubborn dinosaur each time. 

I agree with the last couple of points totally.

However my point was more based on the below which I was getting at

"Let's not have incidents of jeering him during games or before a ball is kicked - recent embarrassing examples of that from the TA include Chris Martin and Ryan Jack. But unfortunately we are aware that we have a minority of backwards moronic weapons that will likely do that. "

On 10/15/2018 at 12:54 PM, 1ANDYP said:

Time to get behind the team in Albania and against israel at hampden. I know its hard and performances pish. But as fans we should be doing our best to get behind them. 

Correct. I have something in common with alex. Both get called jaikies on here. He will come back. Its either that lr parkie and ormond should form part of a drwam team. Only kidding parklife so dont take the huff!

On 10/19/2018 at 7:44 AM, ProudScot said:

Accurate.

Its why strachan got too long and McLeish already has had too long after a situ where he never should have been appointed.

Those stating “we didn’t know how good we had it under Strachan” need to get a grip too.

We had it pretty bad now we have it really bad.

Young manager with new ideas and charisma badly needed. 

Giggs showing you don’t need managerial experience also so it doesn’t have to be a 60 year old stubborn dinosaur each time. 

McLeish has had too long after two competitive games? 

Aye, Ok.