Half time 1-0 Israel 

For my love of stats

33-67% possession 

67-85% pass success

128-281 passes

5-8 shot

1-5 shots on target

4-8 corners

The Israel goal was an Albanian keeper mistake and the Israel goalkeeper has been credited with an assist for it.

We should beat Albania no problem

Still 1-0 at 75 minutes

I guess we'd be better off if this was a draw. 

2-0 FT. So Israel have the momentum. They could come to Hampden knowing a draw could be enough? Maybe that away goal by Charlie Mulgrew will be precious 

Edited by exile

A loss by 1 goal in albania and then beating israel better than 2-1 will see us top. 

A loss by 2 goals in albania means we will need to beat israel by 2 goals. 

A loss by 3 goals in albania will mean we need to beat israel by 3 goals.

Whatever we do in albania then we will need to beat israel. So in effect a win in albania puts us in same situation as 1-0 loss. 

10 minutes ago, exile said:

2-0 FT. So Israel have the momentum. They could come to Hampden knowing a draw could be enough, unless Scotland beat Albania by enough goals to make that count. Maybe that away goal by Charlie Mulgrew will be precious 

Beating Albania 6-0 would still mean we need to beat Israel. 

A draw against Israel would mean we’re out on head-to-head. 

4 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Whatever we do in albania then we will need to beat israel. So in effect a win in albania puts us in same situation as 1-0 loss. 

From the point of view of promotion and play-offs.

But we are also simultaneously trying to  stave off relegation. If we were to lose to Israel at home, we'd be glad of the win in Albania. Two losses and we'd be in danger of going down (though it depends on other groups). Not to scaremonger by mentioning the R word, but I don't think we can go into the Albania thinking a loss is OK just because we can always have the chance of winning the last game at home (a similar argument to Georgia in 2007, albeit needing to beat Italy...). 

1 minute ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Beating Albania 6-0 would still mean we need to beat Israel. 

A draw against Israel would mean we’re out on head-to-head. 

Yes, I realised that and partially corrected it before the editor ran out of time

But I don't think it's insignificant to lose to Albania, for reasons just stated, as we'd then be in danger of being really 'out' - not out of the running for promotion, but out meaning relegation. 

10 minutes ago, exile said:

Yes, I realised that and partially corrected it before the editor ran out of time

But I don't think it's insignificant to lose to Albania, for reasons just stated, as we'd then be in danger of being really 'out' - not out of the running for promotion, but out meaning relegation. 

True but finishing top is much more of an advantage than being relegated is a disadvantage. 

Being relegated is kinda like getting a higher golf handicap...more chance of winning next time. 

I was about to say finishing 3rd in this group would be preferable to 2nd but I remembered 2nd could be good enough for a play off...if Israel qualify in the own right in the actual qualifying stage. 

Anyway, what I was getting at was the Israel game is HUGE, Albania game isn’t. 

If we can score in Albania they would need to score 4 to overtake us (assuming we beat Israel). So if we lose 3-1 in Albania, a 1-0 victory over Israel at Hampden would see us winning the group. How cool would that be? Winning the group on away goals over both the other two teams.:lol: 

5 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

True but finishing top is much more of an advantage than being relegated is a disadvantage. 

Being relegated is kinda like getting a higher golf handicap...more chance of winning next time. 

I was about to say finishing 3rd in this group would be preferable to 2nd but I remembered 2nd could be good enough for a play off...if Israel qualify in the own right in the actual qualifying stage. 

As long as we don't lose 3-0 or worse. 

6 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Being relegated is kinda like getting a higher golf handicap...more chance of winning next time

That's what i told myself when we were cast down into League C. But it looks as if winning is no easier down here than when we were seeded higher. 

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If we can score in Albania they would need to score 4 to overtake us (assuming we beat Israel). So if we lose 3-1 in Albania, a 1-0 victory over Israel at Hampden would see us winning the group. How cool would that be? Winning the group on away goals over both the other two teams.:lol: 

Very depressing. Have you seen the other team in this pot?? Romania and serbia will tear us apart