Portugal match thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Portugal match thread

exile

12 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

"Naismith yesterday rejected a switch to Charles Green’s newco club The Rangers after deciding to quit Ibrox. And throughout his final press conference, the 25-year-old continually referred to them as Sevco – the business title of the company that will form a new Glasgow club."

So is there a difference in club name v company name?, Naismith turned his back on Sevco the company, your correct

Lets leave this to the other thread :banghead:

10 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Partisan attitudes like this is one of the reasons why Scotland/Scottish football is in the mess it's in.

My favourite team for most of my life has been the Scottish national team for the very reason that you have alluded to... that we could put aside our league rivalries and hopefully make our mark on the world stage.

That started to very quickly fade for me with the appointment of England hero Terry Butcher to our coaching staff.

I was thinking "What's the point?" as I didn't want success that way.

Currently my beef is with the authorities that have appointed an otherwise unemployable manager who accepted an EBT worth 1.7M

It's these same authorities that in their infinite wisdom tilt the scales toward a two-horse race in Scotland.

If the teams with smaller budgets aren't going to get a fair shake, then why bother with the hollow charade?

Scottish football needs a serious cull.

55 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Can you spare us the club affiliation crap? Partisan attitudes like this is one of the reasons why Scotland/Scottish football is in the mess it's in.

I'm sure there are places in this place for this playground nonsense.

🙄

Not too sure me or Scotty have anything to do with the state of our national team,  but as you say, we have taken it to another playground. 

If only Eck would read the TAMB, there seems to be plenty experts giving advice. :ok: 

7 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

He'll be really good once he realizes he can use his right foot too. He's almost literally getting himself in knots trying to keep the ball on his left foot.

Aye, that pisses me off too. But he's not the only one with that problem. 

I was cheered last night by a 10x better and more organised performance. Failed experiment hopefully binned, and can can finish the group off from here.

Portugal are just different class to us right now, so am not getting upset about this friendly result.

Losing in Israel was hardly a surprise, it was the manner of it. It's done, lesson learned, move on.

OK, it didn't feel too bad for most of the game, some good play, nice goal but not only was it a Portugal 2nd team, they barely left 2nd gear. What exactly was the point of that?

There can be no slip-ups next month. Had to be two wins or the feel-bad factor will really kick in, players will keep calling off and some supporters of certain clubs will increasingly only refer to the national team with contempt.

On another issue - waited half an hour after the game for a 75 back to town. And the SPFL really intended to play a League cup semi, with a bigger crowd, nearly 3 hours later on a Sunday? Our game is run by idiots.

17 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

OK, it didn't feel too bad for most of the game, some good play, nice goal but not only was it a Portugal 2nd team, they barely left 2nd gear. What exactly was the point of that?

There can be no slip-ups next month. Had to be two wins or the feel-bad factor will really kick in, players will keep calling off and some supporters of certain clubs will increasingly only refer to the national team with contempt.

On another issue - waited half an hour after the game for a 75 back to town. And the SPFL really intended to play a League cup semi, with a bigger crowd, nearly 3 hours later on a Sunday? Our game is run by idiots.

I don’t get this “second gear” business. If it was their 2nd team they’d have neen bursting to get in the first. It’s just the way the play. 

Played some decent stuff for half an hour which was encouraging.  It was absolutely a Portugal B team who definitely weren't going all out.  When they did turn it on, they were through us no bother.  Grudgingly had to cheer Naismith's goal as I had them to win -1 and -2.  

Still a lot of questions(probably even more than we had last Wednesday) to answer in defence, midfield and upfront.  

I think it's clear we need someone to partner McKenna and an alternative to O'Donnell. Both aren't good enough IMO. I'd have Tierney in at right-back and Souttar in beside McKenna. This is our best 4 IMO and we need to stick with it and give it time. Get them used to playing together and forming relationships. 

Armstrong showed last night that he should be starting every single game. The only man willing (maybe even capable?) of picking up the ball and driving us up the pitch. McGinn in beside him is possible our best option but he needs to start putting in better performances. 

Ahead of them, i like McGregor and Forrest should retain his place for now but Fraser should be breathing down his neck for a start. Couple potentially play McGregor centrally and Fraser and Forrest wide? 

At the moment it's a toss-up between Naismith & Griffiths to start, which is an indictment on Griffiths' current situation. McBurnie looked out of his depth last night, which disappointed me as i'd always felt he looked like he had something to offer. 

Big game coming up in Albania and we must show more than we have so far under McLeish. 

48 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think it's clear we need someone to partner McKenna and an alternative to O'Donnell. Both aren't good enough IMO. I'd have Tierney in at right-back and Souttar in beside McKenna. This is our best 4 IMO and we need to stick with it and give it time. Get them used to playing together and forming relationships. 

Armstrong showed last night that he should be starting every single game. The only man willing (maybe even capable?) of picking up the ball and driving us up the pitch. McGinn in beside him is possible our best option but he needs to start putting in better performances. 

Ahead of them, i like McGregor and Forrest should retain his place for now but Fraser should be breathing down his neck for a start. Couple potentially play McGregor centrally and Fraser and Forrest wide? 

At the moment it's a toss-up between Naismith & Griffiths to start, which is an indictment on Griffiths' current situation. McBurnie looked out of his depth last night, which disappointed me as i'd always felt he looked like he had something to offer. 

Big game coming up in Albania and we must show more than we have so far under McLeish. 

agree with most of that except the obvious - no to forrest. Not that I am touting GMS for as start but he did more in 15 minutes than Forest has done in all of his caps. 

Just now, vanderark14 said:

agree with most of that except the obvious - no to forrest. Not that I am touting GMS for as start but he did more in 15 minutes than Forest has done in all of his caps. 

Yeah, he's done nothing for us. I agree. Prepared to give him another chance though based on his good club form recently. I was bemused he didn't start on Thursday as he's bang in form. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, he's done nothing for us. I agree. Prepared to give him another chance though based on his good club form recently. I was bemused he didn't start on Thursday as he's bang in form. 

You've got more patience than me, he was on the form before but its not carried on when he pulls on the scotland jersey. Time is up for him IMO

42 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What annoyed me about Forrest yesterday is how central he was playing. He was more like a forward than a winger.

I agree with your earlier post about 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 with Forrest and Fraser wide with Griffiths in the middle.

The defence looks good but I feel that a more experienced CB is needed to play alongside McKenna. 

3 from Armstrong, McGregor, McGinn and Cairney (or McArthur) should make up the midfield. 

I've also missed Phillips this week. I never thought I'd be saying that. 

23 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

The defence looks good but I feel that a more experienced CB is needed to play alongside McKenna. 

I did think about Mulgrew but that'd give us a back-four entirely of left footers. Maybe Gary Kenneth could play right-CB again? 

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I did think about Mulgrew but that'd give us a back-four entirely of left footers. Maybe Gary Kenneth could play right-CB again? 

Return for Hanley? I believe he's doing okay at Norwich, although I've not watched him myself in ages. 

I'd stick with Mulgrew.  He's not the greatest but he is experienced, and can hit a free-kick / penalty too. 

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Return for Hanley? I believe he's doing okay at Norwich, although I've not watched him myself in ages. 

I broke out in a sweat just thinking about him :lol: