Portugal match thread - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Portugal match thread

exile

Were just not very good and the misery continues. We do the simple things poorly. A lot of reasonable players not playing to their club form and no system as yet. Need to get a settled side. Need to sort out the Robertson/ Tierney issue. Need Tom Crainey in the 10 role, need to get Fraser in his club position.

need Some patience because we are lacking a couple of players in key positions. There’s a couple of youngsters coming through.

we should be playing better than we are but we have a new manager and he’s bleeding some new players in.

The goal gives hope but is it false hope? One of those times when it almost would seem better to have lost 3-0 and face the home truths.

We were beaten comprehensively at home by a second string side playing for a place in their first team. 

The bad old days of 'glorious failure' of losing 2-3 to Germany and Spain seem a long way away. 

Lets also be honest.. The scotland fans have a big decision to make...

Playing this game at hampden for 35 quid on a sunday evening it a total disgrace and the SFA needs to be held accountable for the ghost town atmosphere at the game.

Second, if we dont top with group the fans need to make at stand against the SFA.

44 minutes ago, Big Col said:

yeah the streams have all went pear shaped

i'm on this one now, commentary is not english however

http://acesports.win/3.html

or this one, also not in english

http://www.hdcast4u.info/2018/10/scotland-vs-portugal.html

Thank you again, Col.

24 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

It would be nice if we could just score a goal, any goal.

:)

19 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Not being a smart arse but you mean regressed.

But I digress... 

2 minutes ago, exile said:

The goal gives hope but is it false hope? One of those times when it almost would seem better to have lost 3-0 and face the home truths.

We were beaten comprehensively at home by a second string side playing for a place in their first team. 

The bad old days of 'glorious failure' of losing 2-3 to Germany and Spain seem a long way away. 

Tbf Portugal have a lot of players playing at a high level so we were always up against it in this match. The Israel result is the one that should be lambasted as it was easily winnable.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Griffiths is wrong.   If he is selected and doesn’t turn up again I would never pick him again.

If he's selected and doesn't turn up again, then the manager has to answer for that.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of that situation, McLeish is long overdue being answerable for what's going on.

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

If he's selected and doesn't turn up again, then the manager has to answer for that.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of that situation, McLeish is long overdue being answerable for what's going on.

What can McLeish do? I said already that McLeish made a rod for his back when he gave certain players time off for the Peru’s and Mexico friendlies but here I don’t think he can do much, Griffiths is not injured and he’s not going to gain much match sharpness and fitness training with nobody at Celtic right now. He’s in the huff because he didn’t get to start. If McLeish grovels then he loses what’s left of his credibility with the players 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf Portugal have a lot of players playing at a high level so we were always up against it in this match. The Israel result is the one that should be lambasted as it was easily winnable.

Yes, but my point was that not so long ago we were giving the world champions' first team a run for their money,  in a competitive games, and being disappointed at failing to take the points off them. Now, we just seem to be disappointed.  

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

What can McLeish do? I said already that McLeish made a rod for his back when he gave certain players time off for the Peru’s and Mexico friendlies but here I don’t think he can do much, Griffiths is not injured and he’s not going to gain much match sharpness and fitness training with nobody at Celtic right now. He’s in the huff because he didn’t get to start. If McLeish grovels then he loses what’s left of his credibility with the players 

Let me be clear - it's a situation that the two of them need to sort out. No grovelling required on either side.

Whatever it is that's at the root of it - get it sorted like men and move forward.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Let me be clear - it's a situation that the two of them need to sort out. No grovelling required on either side.

Whatever it is that's at the root of it - get it sorted like men and move forward.

I wish it was that simple, teams need to have a boss they respect, personally I think the respect went out the window when he caved in and let some away with a rest but Griffiths should respect the position of manager and get on with his job as a player

only Scotland could be so weak and pathetic like this. It almost makes you want to give up on fitba

Just now, vanderark14 said:

I wish it was that simple, teams need to have a boss they respect, personally I think the respect went out the window when he caved in and let some away with a rest but Griffiths should respect the position of manager and get on with his job as a player

only Scotland could be so weak and pathetic like this. It almost makes you want to give up on fitba

Agree - especially after having paid good money to travel for that disgrace on Thursday.

We've gone backwards at an alarming rate in the last twelve months.