Worst 90 minutes as a Scotland fan - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst 90 minutes as a Scotland fan

mrniaboc

On 10/17/2018 at 12:32 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Losing to Georgia away in 2007 was gutting because that really did cost us and it was a winnable match, especially with the team and the momentum we had back then.

That was 1 year after the Zidane-Materazzi incident...

Lots of bad feeling between France and Italy afterwards...

Question to all...

Had we won in Georgia, would Italy have come to Hampden and let us draw 1) to eliminate a major team from the finals and 2) to get it right up the French?

4 hours ago, slasher said:

It was far from the worst performance but the lowest I've ever felt was after the Euro 96 2-0 defeat to England. Not even the drink or an extremely flirty English rose in the pub after could pick me up. Chin was on the floor for days after it 😵

Only cause of the missed pen

On 10/22/2018 at 11:58 PM, scotlad said:

The 4-0 away gubbing by Norway in 2009 is a painful memory, as is the 2-1 defeat by Wales in 2012.  George Burley and Craig Levein were both terrible Scotland managers but fuck me, they had some rotten luck to contend with!

Norway should have won that game 5-0. At one point they had the ball clearly over the line but the referee and linesmen missed it.

Shame about wee George. A really proud Scots who tried his best but the media were against him from day one all because their favourite Souness never got the job. 

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Norway should have won that game 5-0. At one point they had the ball clearly over the line but the referee and linesmen missed it.

Shame about wee George. A really proud Scots who tried his best but the media were against him from day one all because their favourite Souness never got the job. 

Souness would have been a far better selection.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Souness would have been a far better selection.

Aye cause he's a guid loyal Rangers man no doubt ..........

He'd have played shitey, negative football, packed the team with Old Firm players and then proceeded to publicly  fall out with half of them. The results would probably have been no different.

Thank feck that tory voting tool never became manager.

This is why we should always include (gasp) foreign candidates for manager, they bring something new and fresh and aren't caught up in the Old Firm mire.

22 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

They went against him after the Norway game and for good reason

15 hours ago, Orraloon said:

That was a very good reason, but they were out to get him before that. 

Correct. He was fighting a losing battle from the day he was appointed. The media wanted him out because his appointment made them look as stupid as they actually are and the guy never really had a chance. He was in a poor position with them from the off,  no small thanks due to the SFA and the way they handled his appointment. Yet again the SFA are in amongst the bother.

As it turned out, his time in charge was particularly poor but I do wonder how things might’ve turned out if he’d had the backing of the media. The constant sniping must’ve had some sort of impact on him doing his job.

1 hour ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Correct. He was fighting a losing battle from the day he was appointed. The media wanted him out because his appointment made them look as stupid as they actually are and the guy never really had a chance. He was in a poor position with them from the off,  no small thanks due to the SFA and the way they handled his appointment. Yet again the SFA are in amongst the bother.

As it turned out, his time in charge was particularly poor but I do wonder how things might’ve turned out if he’d had the backing of the media. The constant sniping must’ve had some sort of impact on him doing his job.

He made loads of changes to a team doing well after the Euro 2008 campaign, and turned us into a dreadful side in a fairly favourable group.

I still think he is the worst manager we've had since I've been watching games. Gutting really because I thought it was a great appointment at the time. 

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

He made loads of changes to a team doing well after the Euro 2008 campaign, and turned us into a dreadful side in a fairly favourable group.

I still think he is the worst manager we've had since I've been watching games. Gutting really because I thought it was a great appointment at the time. 

No question he turned out to be a disaster. We’ll never know what might’ve happened without the hostility he suffered from day one.

I still maintain Levein was worse, but it’s a fairly close run thing.

I too was delighted when he was appointed. Without doubt he was let down by the media, his employers and some players. He didn’t help himself either mind.

Gutted it turned out the way it did.

The media were more after Gordon Smith and the SFA

They gave him a free run in the lead up to the Norway game in 2008

He gave three or so press conferences and Kris Boyd (who was recognised as our main striker after Kenny Miller withdrew injured) was rolled out at every one (i believe) giving the impression we were going to play two up front and go for it.

Burley had played Miller and McFadden as his front two previously

Boyd had scored three times for Scotland in 2007 against Georgia, South Africa and Lithuania

Kenny Miller only scored once in 2007

The optimism we had burst like a balloon when the team was announced - i remember it graphically

Then the double whammy of bringing on Iwelumo rather than Boyd and taking off McFadden when we were struggling to score or create chances

He created more problems for himself which allowed the media and the Rangers connections (McCulloch, Ferguson and McGregor) to rip the piss

It really is a sign of how far we have slipped that as a relatively newer fan to this, I'd happily take a 3-0 pumping off Morocco or a 1-0 by Costa Rica to even experience a major tournament.

Anyway, Israel was a very low moment, a pathetic performance topped off by managerial incompetence, players pulling out left, right and centre and a defeat by an absolutely terrible team.

Georgia in 2015 was every bit as much a car crash on the pitch. Threw the whole campaign away that night.

On both the above occasions, I had the feeling we were going to be as bad as we proved to be. It just seems to be our mentality to use the heat to not turn up on the park.

The 3-0 thumping in Trnava was a truly depressing night. The home draw to Macedonia under Levein and home draw to Lithuania under Strachan were both absolutely grim nights.

It's often a chore watching the team and we are losing fans by the plenty the longer this sub standard nonsense on the park continues.

Scotland draw with Belgium, away to Georgia 2008, Slovakia 3-0 loss, Georgia away in 15 - all massively painful. 

I think the Slovakia loss was really bad, I had to leave the house I was fizzing mad and didn't want to have my family see me how I was.