Worst 90 minutes as a Scotland fan - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst 90 minutes as a Scotland fan

mrniaboc

23 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Worst individual match for me was Prague 1999. 0-2 up with 25 minutes to go and we lost 3-2. 

Didn’t really matter in the end up as the Czechs ran away with the group anyway and we were a comfortable second but still a depressing night. 

Oops, you beat me to it.:oops:

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Oops, you beat me to it.:oops:

I’m surprised more people haven’t mentioned this game. 

It happened at a time when we were still disappointed with second place and losing in Prague put an end to our chances of winning the group. 

If we had won I’m sure we’d have cut the deficit to 4 points with 4 games to go but it went to 10 points. Game over. 

I’m still not sure how we got second in that group after drawing with Lithuania and the Faroes. The Czechs pumping everyone probably helped. 

On 10/14/2018 at 4:11 PM, Ally Bongo said:

There are loads that arent on there which makes it look less bad than the reality

2001 away to Belgium - enormous travelling support and dont think we even had a corner for example

We had four in the first half alone, not one of which got beyond the front post before being cleared.

On 10/15/2018 at 12:13 PM, Scotty CTA said:

Was there an awe.

Mind Craig Brown blaming the ref for giving us a penalty (which we scored to make it 2-0) and sending the Belgium player off? :lol:

Did Barry Ferguson not miss a sitter in that game as well to make it 3-0....... that was a sickener!

The 2-1 loss to Italy at Hampden was one of the worst for me......absolute rollercoaster of emotions that evening, from Luca Toni silencing us after just 2 mins, to the pure elation when Ferguson scored, then Faddy missed a sitter to put us ahead before the heart break of Italy’s winner from a shocking ref decision! 

1 hour ago, SWMM82 said:

Did Barry Ferguson not miss a sitter in that game as well to make it 3-0....... that was a sickener!

He did, think it was Dominic Matteo who burst down the left on the counter and played a ball into the middle but Ferguson’s first touch was to heavy and took it to close to the keeper and it was cleared. 

3 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

The 2-1 loss to Italy at Hampden was one of the worst for me......absolute rollercoaster of emotions that evening, from Luca Toni silencing us after just 2 mins, to the pure elation when Ferguson scored, then Faddy missed a sitter to put us ahead before the heart break of Italy’s winner from a shocking ref decision! 

Oh Jesus. That one decision is seared into my memory. Was behind the goal watching the Italian lad run up to our man and push him to the ground. Ref blows his whistle. The crowd cheer for what must be an obvious Scotland free kick. Ref points the other way! Excuse me? Italy free kick on the edge of the box. Goal. Fuck. Off. 

See Robert Earnshaw score a hat-tick against us was tough to take.

Blowing a 2-goal lead against 10-man Belgium at Hampden was a low point that has stayed with me.  

Losing to Georgia away in 2007 was gutting because that really did cost us and it was a winnable match, especially with the team and the momentum we had back then.

Now is the lowest I've ever felt about the team and I'm certainly starting to go to less matches. 

6 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Blowing a 2-goal lead against 10-man Belgium at Hampden was a low point that has stayed with me.  

Losing to Georgia away in 2007 was gutting because that really did cost us and it was a winnable match, especially with the team and the momentum we had back then.

Now is the lowest I've ever felt about the team and I'm certainly starting to go to less matches. 

Agree. As  said before i walked out at half time in cardiff. Belgium was even lower than that as it was an important game. As it was in czech when we were up 2_0 at half time. Fuck it we will come back. Trust in mcleish. Just spoke to hin there in aldi. Nice guy 

15 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Agree. As  said before i walked out at half time in cardiff. Belgium was even lower than that as it was an important game. As it was in czech when we were up 2_0 at half time. Fuck it we will come back. Trust in mcleish. Just spoke to hin there in aldi. Nice guy 

Are you @bonny78 in disguise?

If it was not for Israel missing a lot of chances and McGregor having some good saves then it could have been that match as to be fair Israel should have won by at least 4 or 5.

Too many matches to mention as to what has been the worst but the above match is pretty close.

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 1:13 PM, Scotty CTA said:

Mind Craig Brown blaming the ref for giving us a penalty (which we scored to make it 2-0) and sending the Belgium player off? :lol:

IIRC he also blamed a ballboy for giving the Belgians the ball back too quickly in stoppage time.

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Jacques Hunt said:

remember v Swiss at Villa Park thinking how I had not properly budgeted for or properly considered the next game which I think would have been Old Trafford or Anfield. Probably says a lot about following Scotland even then. Luckily Seaman let in a soft one and it no longer mattered.

You must've been alone in feeling lucky about that goal then.

Would've been France at Anfield next I think.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:58 PM, robbo cop said:

If it was not for Israel missing a lot of chances and McGregor having some good saves then it could have been that match as to be fair Israel should have won by at least 4 or 5.

Too many matches to mention as to what has been the worst but the above match is pretty close.

Aye, although many of the matches mentioned above had us feeling gutted/low/angry for various reasons, in many of them it was factors other than the performance that had us feeling that way. Decisions, importance, context, what might’ve been, etc, etc.

Last Thursday, however, for me ranks as the absolute low point in terms of performance alone. It wasn’t utterly shambolic.  In over 40 years watching Scotland I cannot recall such an abysmal shambles as the Israel game and you rightly point out that McGregor was the difference between a fortunate 2-1 defeat and a thoroughly deserved hiding.

The Israelis must be spewing that they only managed a 2-1 win. That may yet prove to be the difference in winning the group.

Bit of a daft list from the BBC, most of the games are friendlies - is there any other nation who cares as much about friendly results as we do?).  Maybe it's just me but I don't tend to get too exercised about friendly results, good, bad or indifferent.

There are plenty - too many - really bad competitive results etched into my memory though.  Watershed games, like the 5-0 drubbing by Portugal in 1993, 'the night a team died', as it became known (and incidentally most of that team would walk into our starting XI these days), or the 2-2 draw with Belgium in 2001 - you could just sense that the team had blown its chances of qualifying, even though there were several games left to play - similar to the 1-0 defeat away to Georgia in 2015.

Then there was the Euro 2004 qualifying campaign, which began with an embarrassing 2-2 draw away to the Faroes and ended with a 6-0 tanking by the Dutch in Amsterdam.  Conceding a last minute equaliser to the Faroes in 1999 (after playing half the game with 10 men) felt pretty shite too.  

The 4-0 away gubbing by Norway in 2009 is a painful memory, as is the 2-1 defeat by Wales in 2012.  George Burley and Craig Levein were both terrible Scotland managers but fuck me, they had some rotten luck to contend with!

On 10/17/2018 at 5:40 PM, Texas Pete said:

Aye that was when Wales were still pish as well. 

That was pretty much the moment I knew we were in danger of becoming a footballing backwater. 

They weren't as good as they are now but that game came shortly after they'd made the play-offs for the Euros, where they were narrowly beaten by Russia (as opposed to being papped out 6-1 on aggregate like we'd just been by the Netherlands).

They soon went back to being pish shortly afterwards, though, and remained that way for the better part of a decade.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:32 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Now is the lowest I've ever felt about the team Now is the lowest I've ever felt about the team and I'm certainly starting to go to less matches.and I'm certainly starting to go to less matches. 

Chin up mate. We have the manager from 2007 back in charge again. 

It was far from the worst performance but the lowest I've ever felt was after the Euro 96 2-0 defeat to England. Not even the drink or an extremely flirty English rose in the pub after could pick me up. Chin was on the floor for days after it 😵