Worst 90 minutes as a Scotland fan - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst 90 minutes as a Scotland fan

mrniaboc

I think it was last night. Not so much the game itself as there have been worse. It was just the realisation of where we actually are, following dreadful Israel game. Isis not go to Haifa. LI took my laddie to a game last night we both knew we would lose. We discussed how many games he had attended where we had actually won. Then I looked across at McLeish, remembered having met him and how nice a bloke he was. I think when I enthused about getting GMS on park was like some sort of trigger to get us both the fuck out of all this and play xbox or something. Had earlier overheard a fat bloke telling his 7 year old grandson:

it‘s a beer barrel you want son, not a six pack 

after the wee laddie had admired the physique of a bloke on the front of a magazine in the newsagent shop near Hampden. 

I‘ll be all right again tomorrow. Mebbe. 

3 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

I think it was last night. Not so much the game itself as there have been worse. It was just the realisation of where we actually are, following dreadful Israel game. Isis not go to Haifa. LI took my laddie to a game last night we both knew we would lose. We discussed how many games he had attended where we had actually won. Then I looked across at McLeish, remembered having met him and how nice a bloke he was. I think when I enthused about getting GMS on park was like some sort of trigger to get us both the fuck out of all this and play xbox or something. Had earlier overheard a fat bloke telling his 7 year old grandson:

it‘s a beer barrel you want son, not a six pack 

after the wee laddie had admired the physique of a bloke on the front of a magazine in the newsagent shop near Hampden. 

I‘ll be all right again tomorrow. Mebbe. 

That should read 

I did not go to Haifa

dinnae want to bring ISIS intae this 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Worst I've felt after a game was 4-0 in Oslo, there were a few hundred of us outside the main entrance after the game.

Felt good to vent some anger at Gordon Smith.

To be fair.. That game was dead level till s Caldwell got a 2nd yellow and their free kick went straight in.      After that Norway were streets ahead of us with a man advantage. 

7 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Had newly arrived and was out in Lisbon with my backpack when I encountered the team out for a walk in their tracksuits.

Said hello, and McCoist and Gorman stepped forward and did all the talking.

Long story short... parted by saying that I had travelled all the way from Canada to support them and that I knew that they weren't going to let me down.

So... McCoist breaks his leg and Goram lets in five.

Back in the pub I said to the lads "Do you think I put too much pressure on them?"

lol.

Either that or you're a jinx. 😉

8 minutes ago, Chripper said:

lol.

Either that or you're a jinx. 😉

6 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

4 -0 in cardiff.  walked out at half time.  2-2 at Hampden against Belgium was the downest though.

Was there an awe.

Mind Craig Brown blaming the ref for giving us a penalty (which we scored to make it 2-0) and sending the Belgium player off? :lol:

4 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Was there an awe.

Mind Craig Brown blaming the ref for giving us a penalty (which we scored to make it 2-0) and sending the Belgium player off? :lol:

Aye that is the lowest pal.  But hey ho. It is a beautiful day in Scotland and I am of to Hebs for a song or 10.  Take care man and next time you visit give me a shout.

Only started going to Scotland games proper when Berti became manager. At least some of you older guys had something that resembled a "high" to go with these so called lows. For some us, it's just been low after low after low.

Games that spring to mind: Paris 5-0, Amsterdam 6-0, Georgia at home, Belarus. Thursday night was bad but bizarrely didnt feel anger or disappointment like I had in other games... maybe Ive just come to expect it or become numb to it.

Problem of the Scottish National Team is absolutely massive - quite how they thought McLeish was up to it is gross incompetence. Sack the lot of them.

21 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I was at the Jacksonville one, also at 5-0 to Portugal (93?)

Losing 2-0 after 12 minutes in The Faroes wasn't too clever either.

(Actually managed to scrape a triumphant point outa that one.)

I was there.

I was there.

I was there.

I was there.

I was there.

I was at both. :(

(And breathe.)

Most of the games BBC put up on their piece pale into insignificance compared to some of the above

Costa Rica 1990, England 96, Morocco 98

Those really hurt

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Worst individual match for me was Prague 1999. 0-2 up with 25 minutes to go and we lost 3-2. 

Didn’t really matter in the end up as the Czechs ran away with the group anyway and we were a comfortable second but still a depressing night. 

At that one, too.

(Took my claymore into the ground as no one wanted to come and take it off me. :lol: )

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Most of the games BBC put up on their piece pale into insignificance compared to some of the above

Costa Rica 1990, England 96, Morocco 98

Those really hurt

That prat colouring his hair blonde after he scored against Norway ("Hey, everybody look at me") then getting sent off. :banghead:

9 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

At that one, too.

(Took my claymore into the ground as no one wanted to come and take it off me. :lol: )

That prat colouring his hair blonde after he scored against Norway ("Hey, everybody look at me") then getting sent off. :banghead:

Burley was a legend in his own lifetime....   with not the ability to match.

20 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

4 -0 in cardiff.  walked out at half time.  2-2 at Hampden against Belgium was the downest though.

I actually thought the 3-0 in Wales was worse.

I was back in the city centre with a beer before full time.

That Belgium game was a killer, we threw that away. I was right next to the Belgians aswell.

20 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Games that spring to mind: Paris 5-0, Amsterdam 6-0, Georgia at home, Belarus. Thursday night was bad but bizarrely didnt feel anger or disappointment like I had in other games... maybe Ive just come to expect it or become numb to it.

I'm the same, didn't feel the same anger, disappointment.  Either have become used to it happening, most of our terrible 90 mins on here come from the last 20 years, or this Uefa Nations league doesn't really matter.

For example even if we win our group we still need to finish in the top2 in qualifying. Or a playoff away in Finland and then away in maybe Romania/Bulgaria.

Worst moments : Its' Extensive: 2-2 h Bel, 2-2 a Far, 0-6 a Hol, 0-2 a Geo, Hutton getting walloped against Italy hate you Spanish ref,

0-1 a Mac - campaign over inside 90 mins, Norway a 0-4 & Iwelmo miss at home, No strikers in Czech, fake penalty for Wal - losing twice to shty wal, 

0-1 a Geo again, the awful 1-1 a to Irl, Polish shot hits the post and rolls across line to striker, 0-3 a Eng,

Then to cap it all off start to look good again and play rubbish against Svn a.  

Best Moments when qualifying was still on - Fra h & a 06, oh that's it

A lot of these are bringing back bad memories, but just to change it slightly, let me throw in a couple of WINS ( Of Sorts) to the Mix

EURO 96 1-0 Win v Switzerland -- 62 mins gone, Scotland leading 1-0, word comes through England are now winning 4-0 .. What's that ? We're through - We're actually going to FINALLY qualify for the KO stages of a tournament !!!  The team senses Switzerland have downed tools and are already mentally on a beach somewhere and are the proverbial "there for the taking" and want to push on and get the 2nd goal to kill them off and give us that wee safety net..But Craig Brown - Ever concious of his Win / Loss ratio tells them no lads, keep it tight, 1-0 will do us...... And we all know how that one ended...

Fast Forward 3 years - What we thought was going to be the last ever game at Wembley, a 21 year old Barry Ferguson strolls onto the pitch, effectively tells Beckham, Ince et al to go home as he owns this for the next 90 minutes, and boy did he...The best performance I have ever seen from a Scotland Midfielder. In the end Scotland win 1-0.....against England...... at Wembley.....In the last ever game( or so we thought at the time) .....

And it all meant absolutely f*** all .....................

2 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

A lot of these are bringing back bad memories, but just to change it slightly, let me throw in a couple of WINS ( Of Sorts) to the Mix

EURO 96 1-0 Win v Switzerland -- 62 mins gone, Scotland leading 1-0, word comes through England are now winning 4-0 .. What's that ? We're through - We're actually going to FINALLY qualify for the KO stages of a tournament !!!  The team senses Switzerland have downed tools and are already mentally on a beach somewhere and are the proverbial "there for the taking" and want to push on and get the 2nd goal to kill them off and give us that wee safety net..But Craig Brown - Ever concious of his Win / Loss ratio tells them no lads, keep it tight, 1-0 will do us...... And we all know how that one ended...

Fast Forward 3 years - What we thought was going to be the last ever game at Wembley, a 21 year old Barry Ferguson strolls onto the pitch, effectively tells Beckham, Ince et al to go home as he owns this for the next 90 minutes, and boy did he...The best performance I have ever seen from a Scotland Midfielder. In the end Scotland win 1-0.....against England...... at Wembley.....In the last ever game( or so we thought at the time) .....

And it all meant absolutely f*** all .....................

Aye, remember both well. Ferguson was fantastic as was the atmosphere that night at Wembley.

remember v Swiss at Villa Park thinking how I had not properly budgeted for or properly considered the next game which I think would have been Old Trafford or Anfield. Probably says a lot about following Scotland even then. Luckily Seaman let in a soft one and it no longer mattered.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:24 AM, Jacques Hunt said:

That should read 

I did not go to Haifa

dinnae want to bring ISIS intae this 

Too late mate. From now on somebody will be monitoring every single thing that you type. Expect a visit from some big lads in uniforms at 4 o'clock in the morning.:lol:

23 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

That is the sickest I have felt.  Up 2-0 and they brought on a guy who was about 7 foot tall.  Equalised to send them through.  Tough being a Scotland fan.

2-0 up in Prague with 30 minutes to go. We lost 3-2. Jan Koller was a big lad as well. He must have been 7 foot 6, at least.