Worst 90 minutes as a Scotland fan - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst 90 minutes as a Scotland fan

mrniaboc

A lot of you probably already saw this list on BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45832167

I can't believe Georgia 2007 isn't on there. Has to be my worst 90 mins as a Scotland fan. The contrast against the good feeling about the team was so drastic. The Israel match was nothing like that. Plus I even bought the god damn maroon strip. Returned it immediately. 

There are loads that arent on there which makes it look less bad than the reality

2001 away to Belgium - enormous travelling support and dont think we even had a corner for example

It's the worst because it's the most recent.

In time the memory of the misery of Thursday night will fade - but I don't recall another time when I was among so many really angry fans at the end of a game. Whatever the boy from the SFA was trying to do it was making things worse.

Anyone have any footage of him?

I'm not going to attempt to dredge up those bad days*. These days are bad enough. Following Scotland can be bad for mental health.  

I mean when did we last lose - what - 6 out of 8 games? Albeit several friendlies. But whose idea to play Peru and Mexico away, and Belgium and Portugal at home? Real confidence-boosters. We shoudl have played more teams like Hungary, or a bit above them, some League B teams. 

Anyway, talking of 'really angry fans' I think the angriest i remember seeing (on TV) was after the Iran game, or between Iran and Netherlands in 78.

Edited by exile

I was at the Jacksonville one, also at 5-0 to Portugal (93?)

Losing 2-0 after 12 minutes in The Faroes wasn't too clever either.

(Actually managed to scrape a triumphant point outa that one.)

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

There are loads that arent on there which makes it look less bad than the reality

2001 away to Belgium - enormous travelling support and dont think we even had a corner for example

I was there.

3 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Holland 6-0 for me. Was a watershed moment as a young fan at the time. After winning the home leg 1-0 and a relative of mine said it’ll never be as bad as that again.

The really sad fact is that those were the glory days and that night was as close as I’ve ever seen us come to qualifying.

I was there.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

0-3 v Morocco in St Etienne.  Really thought we were finally going to get out of a group that night.

I was there.

2 hours ago, sandyb said:

There’s loads of them... 4.0 in Oslo, 5-0 in Paris-where we substituted the substitute......... when will the misery end..

I was there.

2 hours ago, Bino's said:

Undoubtedly Costa Rica 1990

I was there.

21 minutes ago, exile said:

* OK then, Uruguay in 86 was pretty bad. And let's not mention 1996.

I was at both. :(

(And breathe.)

1 minute ago, Scotty CTA said:

I was there.

I was there.

I was there.

I was there.

I was there.

(And breathe.)

You're a fukin Jonah. Is it not time you retired?

34 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I was there.

I was there.

I was there.

I was there.

I was there.

(And breathe.)

Aye, but what was the worst?

The worst I felt (live) was when we missed the penalty, and then England scored.

The worst performance (live) was probably the 6-0 in Amsterdam (but there's lots of dishonourable mentions).

The most annoying/frustrating (live) has to be Uruguay. (Still p*sses me off.)

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

1993: Portugal 5 - Scotland - 0 (The mental scars are still with me)

I was there "The night a team died"

It didn't scar me as it's possibly the worst game day i've been on

It rained like fuck in Lisbon ALL day and ALL night

Everyone was soaked, the stadium was half empty and i just wanted back to the Algarve where we were staying ASAP

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

1993: Portugal 5 - Scotland - 0 (The mental scars are still with me)

Had newly arrived and was out in Lisbon with my backpack when I encountered the team out for a walk in their tracksuits.

Said hello, and McCoist and Gorman stepped forward and did all the talking.

Long story short... parted by saying that I had travelled all the way from Canada to support them and that I knew that they weren't going to let me down.

So... McCoist breaks his leg and Goram lets in five.

Back in the pub I said to the lads "Do you think I put too much pressure on them?"