Tartan Army are getting what they deserve - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tartan Army are getting what they deserve

slasher

On 10/14/2018 at 3:08 PM, mrniaboc said:

I totally understand the sentiment of the op and the agreeing comments to follow, but I also think it's slightly unfair to blame the TA as being complicit for two reasons:

1) The TA isn't really an organised army with a single missions and well-defined orders. It would be almost impossible to get all people who want the Scotland team to win to protest and rise up against the SFA. 

2) When it comes down to it we're there to support a team of Scottish lads who are gonna take the pitch and try their hardest to win a game of football for us, themselves, and their country. I can guarantee the SFA are not in their minds at that point in time, and it's hard not to give those lads our support. They need us, and we need them. That's why we do what we do! 

Good post. 

Political pressure is another thing to bring to bear on the powers that be. They get quite a lot of money from the Scottish government in spite of their consistent failure at national team level. If people that lived in Scotland (not me) repeatedly lobbied their MPs/ MSPs demanding that funding be withdrawn from the SFA in favour of far worthier charitable causes, something might happen. 

You'd need a simple set of goals to demand though, such as some of those in the McLeish report, or, might I suggest some of the usual ones like:

Pyramid structure

One governing body for the entirety of Scottish football (with fan representation and limited terms of office)

Summer football?

Just ideas, but they would hit the SFA more in the pocket than poor attendances. 

Oh - and in the meantime, don’t spend any money at Hampden or online (emailing them to let them know why), and some massive fireproof banners to sneak in would be good. (SFA = Scottish Failure Association is as snappy as I can get before I go to work). Some of these people come across as vain/ pompous/ in it to be the big “I am”, so taking the piss and pricking their puffed-up sense of self-worth would be a valuable part of such an exercise. Maybe, if people had the time to organise it, they could leaflet at games whilst wearing ties and blazers with pillows stuffed up their shirts.

Alas, however, I have a job to go to. I did enjoy this morning’s flight of fancy though.

Bring on the Albania.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:28 AM, slasher said:

I'm not having it any more. Away games are out and home games are very much one at a time.

The SFA make money from the sale of home match tickets.

They make zero money from the sale of away match tickets.

If you want to hit them in the pocket you should drop the home matches.

5 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

The SFA make money from the sale of home match tickets.

They make zero money from the sale of away match tickets.

If you want to hit them in the pocket you should drop the home matches.

Aye, true enough. I've no plans to attend the Israel game at the moment. Empty stadia home and away should concentrate some minds. I understand people have already booked for Albania and will want to attend the game......each to their own but I doubt anything short of a mass boycott would have any impact on the blazer brigade. Not gonna happen tho.

8 minutes ago, slasher said:

Aye, true enough. I've no plans to attend the Israel game at the moment. Empty stadia home and away should concentrate some minds. I understand people have already booked for Albania and will want to attend the game......each to their own but I doubt anything short of a mass boycott would have any impact on the blazer brigade. Not gonna happen tho.

Why exactly are you wanting people to boycott? 

We could still end up qualifying for Euro 2020 you know. Nothing is fucked here. 

If you or others are looking to protest the appointment of McLeish, I would suggest that it would be best waiting until he actually fails. 

If it’s the perceived mismanagement of the SFA that you want to protest then what exactly are you wanting to happen? 

Attendances are down because we are shite at the moment. If we start competing again then the crowds will go back up. 

I can’t see there being any sort of official Geoffrey anytime in the near future but if we continue to flounder then the crowds will end up so low we might end up playing at lesser Hampden.

Let’s hope McLeish succeeds then, eh?

47 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We could still end up qualifying for Euro 2020 you know. Nothing is fucked here. 

If you or others are looking to protest the appointment of McLeish, I would suggest that it would be best waiting until he actually fails. 

If it’s the perceived mismanagement of the SFA that you want to protest then what exactly are you wanting to happen? 

Attendances are down because we are shite at the moment. If we start competing again then the crowds will go back up. 

I can’t see there being any sort of official Geoffrey anytime in the near future but if we continue to flounder then the crowds will end up so low we might end up playing at lesser Hampden.

the set up is fucked and the management is fucked up. We may well qualify for Euro 2020 in the same way we may well win the Euros and could go on to the win the WC. Losing 6 matches out of 8 and turning in a performance like that on your 7th match in charge is pretty clear evidence of where things are. and as has been pointed out a number of times, whatever the failings of Strachan were, and there were numerous, McLeish was not exactly inheriting a team or squad in need of a rebuild or in need of a drastic new approach. we are where we are down to the current management and the crowds are down cause the manager is making the team shite. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I don't want anyone to do anything. I'm doing my own thing. I guess the point I'm making is that in the absence of any kind of tangible protest the support are condemned to suffering the same shite we've endured for 20 years plus. As for waiting till McLeish actually fails, we're repeating the same mistakes here waiting for the inevitable. My main gripe is with those who appointed him and the new chief executive has done fuck all to inspire any confidence he's going to change anything. 

We need someone to exhibit a bit of leadership amongst the support but as i said earlier although everyone cares about the football the 'days out' and trips away have become equally as important to many.

Edited by slasher

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

I don't want anyone to do anything. I'm doing my own thing. I guess the point I'm making is that in the absence of any kind of tangible protest the support are condemned to suffering the same shite we've endured for 20 years plus. As for waiting till McLeish actually fails, we're repeating the same mistakes here waiting for the inevitable. My main gripe is with those who appointed him and the new chief executive has done fuck all to inspire any confidence he's going to change anything. 

We need someone to exhibit a bit of leadership amongst the support but as i said earlier although everyone cares about the football the 'days out' and trips away have become equally as important to many.

I don't think I have seen a quote or anything from Maxwell. he even in the job yet??

6 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

And we could still end up being Nations League D. :yikes3:

That's unacceptable.

It will be unacceptable. If it actually happens. 

Even if we had beaten Israel it would still be possible for us to get relegated at this stage. It would be far less likely obviously but still possible. 

We do still appear to have this unwarranted arrogance about us in that we seem to think Israel etc. have no right to beat us as we are too good and we should be sweeping these teams aside. Those days are gone. 

50 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

the set up is fucked and the management is fucked up. We may well qualify for Euro 2020 in the same way we may well win the Euros and could go on to the win the WC. Losing 6 matches out of 8 and turning in a performance like that on your 7th match in charge is pretty clear evidence of where things are. and as has been pointed out a number of times, whatever the failings of Strachan were, and there were numerous, McLeish was not exactly inheriting a team or squad in need of a rebuild or in need of a drastic new approach. we are where we are down to the current management and the crowds are down cause the manager is making the team shite. 

It was his second competitive game and first away from home. 

Most of the friendlies we have played haven’t been much more than B internationals. 

The overreaction on here to one bad (admittedly it was terrible) performance/result is ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

And we could still end up being Nations League D. :yikes3:

That's unacceptable.

I think that's one of the good things about the Nations League. Lots of teams could be in a similar position going into their last game. If we win our last game we probably get a playoff if we lose it we could get relegated.

For example, if England win their last game, at home to Croatia, they could go on to win the Nations League Trophy (depending on what happens when Spain play Croatia ie a draw or Croatia win). England have a better head to head against Spain. If England lose to Croatia, England will get relegated. 

47 minutes ago, slasher said:

Well I’m not going to stop going to games and I’m sure thousands of others won’t either. 

I’m all for change though and will be happy to participate in protests against the bigwigs etc. but I will always support the team. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

The overreaction on here to one bad (admittedly it was terrible) performance/result is ridiculous. 

In fairness, I don't think it's just about one match, I think it's a culmination things, the main one being in the football wilderness for 20 years, with one inept qualification after another, as well as the sub-standard players that we consistently churn out.

I think we can all agree that we, as Scotland fans, deserve much better. We hand over our hard-earned money to the SFA and they give us what In return? Nothing that I can see. We have a stadium that the majority don't want, we have a manager that looks dazed and confused and we have footballers that are lacking in so many departments, so much so that they aren't good enough for international level. If the SFA cared as much as the fans then they'd bring in football people, they'd journey to France and Belgium and Holland, etc, and use their blueprints to open up a Scottish football center of excellence.

But no, that's too much like hard work for them. But why should they do anything different? They get paid no matter how inept they are. Should fans do a mass boycott? I say yes. If you aren't with something then you vote with your feet. The Tartan Army continuously attending home matches gives the impression to the SFA that they're happy with the status quo. 

On 10/14/2018 at 1:28 AM, slasher said:

Discuss.

In my opinion the the appointment of McLeish was such a piss take in the manner which it was done there should have been a reaction. A boycott or whatever but too many TA are too wrapped up in their days out or trips away to do anything tangible by way of protest. I'm not having it any more. Away games are out and home games are very much one at a time. It's reached a point where you can't say you are just faithful through whatever. You are being complicit in failure, nepotism and self interest from this point on as far as I'm concerned.

CV

ALEX MCLEISH  (AKA The New Murinho)

POST 2007 AFTER SCOTLAND CAREER

BIRMINGHAM  CITY

2007-8 `I’ve got the New Murinho’ said the Birmingham chairman David Gold. Joined when the club were in a mid table position. Club RELEGATED to the Championship on the last day of his first season

2008-9 Credit where due - promoted at first attempt.   2009-10 Finished in ninth place

2010-11 Won the League Cup Final against Arsenal then the club went into freefall and were AGAIN RELEGATED under McLeish on the final day of the season. The directors kept faith with him but rather than stay and fight with his players for promotion he chose to jump ship – and join their biggest rivals for a rumoured figure of £1m informing Birmingham City of his decision by email

ASTON VILLA

17th JUNE 2011-14th MAY 2012 Took the club to the BRINK OF RELEGATION before a `McLeish Out’ campaign from the fans resulted in termination of his contract. Villa just stayed in the Premiership by two points.

MAY –DECEMBER 2012 UNEMPLOYED

NOTTINGHAM FOREST

27th DECEMBER 2012 – 5th FEBRUARY 2013 Left the club after FIVE WEEKS by mutual consent following a series of poor results including losing at Birmingham

FEBRUARY 2013 – AUGUST 2014 UNEMPLOYED

GENK  

AUGUST 2014-MARCH 2015  Left club by mutual consent after failing to reach League Play offs

MARCH 2015-FEBRUARY 2016 UNEMPLOYED

ZAMALEK

28TH FEBRUARY 2ND MAY 2016  SACKED  after two months as a result of poor performances

MAY 2016-FEBRUARY 2017 UNEMPLOYED

FERUARY 2017 Again the inept Scottish FA offer a contract to the unemployed manager after he continually touted himself for the Scotland and Rangers job whenever there was a vacancy

Conclusion – A nice guy and a great player who never withdrew from internationals but an utter dud of a manager who has no sense of loyalty and has amassed a fortune from his failed attempts at management not to mention EBTs.  The SFA took a chance on him whilst unemployed and he used the post to attempt to further his career. The legacy of his time in England is that BIRMINGHAM CITY are STILL struggling to get out of the Championship today and currently staring at League 1 football.  All hail the New Murinho!

Edited by Catchart Circle

Every time I see this thread come back to the top of my unread list the title pisses me of a little bit more. 

I'm proud to say I'm member of the Tartan Army, and most of my life my experiences have shown me they are one of the best groups of football fans in the world, with a true love for their team and respect for the game no matter whether the days are dark or light.

To say they deserve bad times is out of line. It's the kind of sick thing a victim of abuse might wrongly believe. "I've done something to deserve this". No, you haven't! 

If there's anything the TA deserve it's for their devotion to be rewarded with a huge day in the sun for the Scotland national team. 

12 hours ago, Chripper said:

In fairness, I don't think it's just about one match, I think it's a culmination things, the main one being in the football wilderness for 20 years, with one inept qualification after another, as well as the sub-standard players that we consistently churn out.

I think we can all agree that we, as Scotland fans, deserve much better. We hand over our hard-earned money to the SFA and they give us what In return? Nothing that I can see. We have a stadium that the majority don't want, we have a manager that looks dazed and confused and we have footballers that are lacking in so many departments, so much so that they aren't good enough for international level. If the SFA cared as much as the fans then they'd bring in football people, they'd journey to France and Belgium and Holland, etc, and use their blueprints to open up a Scottish football center of excellence.

But no, that's too much like hard work for them. But why should they do anything different? They get paid no matter how inept they are. Should fans do a mass boycott? I say yes. If you aren't with something then you vote with your feet. The Tartan Army continuously attending home matches gives the impression to the SFA that they're happy with the status quo. 

why do we deserve better?

also remember, the SFA doesn't have much money.

17 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It was his second competitive game and first away from home. 

Most of the friendlies we have played haven’t been much more than B internationals. 

what do you consider to be the positives that we have seen under McLeish? 

1 hour ago, Boynze said:

why do we deserve better?

also remember, the SFA doesn't have much money.

Because we have been loyal through thin and... thin.

Are you being sarcastic? The Icelandic FA probably have a lot less money and yet they manged to build 30 full-size all-weather pitches, seven of which are indoor, and almost 150 smaller artificial arenas that ensure their youngsters at grassroots can continue to play and to train in winter. How many have the SFA built?

Edited by Chripper