Time for Eck to go already! - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Time for Eck to go already!

Tartan Shaun

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Now that was also a shite performance. Especially considering our results in that campaign. 

Aye. I thought you were comparing the two performances under McLeish - Georgia in 07 and last Thursday. 

Georgia under Strachan gets filed in the same category right enough.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Why play for a manager like burley? You don’t, you play for your country and you give everything you’ve got for it. It’s not about money, your club or the manager it’s about you’re country. This is something that’s some gotten completely lost among players and the fans over that the last twenty years.

This 100%! Think about the players 20+ years who never got capped, but would’ve probably done anything to represent our country. 

50 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Aye. I thought you were comparing the two performances under McLeish - Georgia in 07 and last Thursday. 

Georgia under Strachan gets filed in the same category right enough.

Nah I just meant that Thursday’s match, whilst god awful, wasn’t any worse than Tbilisi 2015. 

I mean it’s a close run thing and debatable but given the red card, OG, slightly better opposition and the fact we actually had a couple of shots on target, I would say the Georgia performance was marginally worse. 

11 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I’m not ignoring facts, you’ve presented stuff as fact when it’s not and you’ve ignored some utter nonsense he’s spouted too, like his recent ramblings about Aberdeen fans.

youve no way of knowing why those Aberdeen players were picked for that pittodrie game so that’s not a fact. If they were picked for the pittodrie game only, why is Shinnie still being picked or McKenna?

Boyd spouts opinions not facts and he does it to get a reaction, he’s just like Chris Sutton. They both think they’re calling it as it is but they’re not! 

Id never doubt or criticise boyds ability to hit the back of the net, I was in the camp that wanted him playing for us but I will criticise his attitude under burley. 

Why play for a manager like burley? You don’t, you play for your country and you give everything you’ve got for it. It’s not about money, your club or the manager it’s about you’re country. This is something that’s some gotten completely lost among players and the fans over that the last twenty years.

By taking the huff these players disrespected the national team and it’s fans who pay a lot of money to travel far and wide supporting Scotland. 

This has always been my view. 

Stewarty’s making a tit of himself with his defence of that arsehole Boyd. 

If we dont top Group C and McLeish does the honorable thing and quits - then I expect his replacement to be Davie Moyes.  5 years ago I figured he would not be interested in this role until another 10 years but now he would likely love the chance to manage Scotland, 5 years ago I would have loved to have the guy but now not so sure but compared to Mcleish ....I'll take him. 

Hang on, I did not realize Paul Lambert was a flop at Stoke and they dropped him in the summer so surly he is another guy would be keen on the job.  

Edited by romanticscot

This is all a bit ironic, considering that this site was flooded this time last year with people spitting blood about Strachan, and going on about all the brilliant youngsters we had waiting on the wings to take us to glory. McLeish has done exactly that, removing all the "deadwood" and after a few bad results he seems to be deadwood himself.

The reality is that the standard of our domestic league over the last 5 years is poorer than its been in living memory, and the standard of the national team is really no different. 

However, I think domestic football has the potential right now to improve with Hearts, Hibs and Rangers all at least starting to get their act together. We still have a long way to go though, and the financial structures of modern football are designed to hurt countries like ours. The only thing that's going to improve the Scotland team in the long term is for a couple of superstars (starting for Champions league last 16 level) to emerge. If that happens, they bring the rest of the team along with them.

We haven't had that (or a decent striker that wants to play for us) for over 20 years now. Those are the reasons we haven't qualified.

This isn't an attempt to admonish Strachan or McLeish. I would have sacked Strachan for his comment about genetics, and I think we'd be best shot of McLeish tomorrow to be honest.

The other missing piece is an energetic and honest manager who is truly driven to make a difference. Our next appointment should be someone young and hungry. Someone who is willing to spend every minute of the week scouting the opposition, planning tactics and plotting what we need from every game (and every friendly arrangement) to advantage us the most. Someone who's willing to admit when a performance doesn't meet expectations as well, and demands better of the players in the future rather than looking to downplay expectations.

At the moment, I think the Scotland job is seen as a semi-retirement position for  legends that have seen better days and come with massive egos where they can't admit their own mistakes. He also needs to be someone that understands his role in terms of getting all the players on-side. McLeish just said he hadn't spoken to Darren Fletcher until a few weeks ago. What's he been doing all this time? By this stage he should have been working on a relationship with all currently available players past and present including under 21s, whether he has them as part of his plans or not. Players like Leigh Griffiths are too important to Scotland to allow them to go in a huff. He should have been managed through the decision not to start him against Albania, in the same way as he's no doubt managed through the same thing at Celtic. There seems to be an issue over communication with the players, and the next coach needs to be all about that.

If we sacked McLeish and went for someone like Paul Lambert, who has all the inspiration of a turtle, then we might as well lock it up and go home. If it weren't for his baggage, I actually think Neil Lennon would be a great choice.

Edited by COLT NY

I think McLeish is picking the right players, like Strachan didn't until it was too late, but seems unable to get the best out of them and in some cases is actually antagonising them. Not a good place to be.

Lambert and Moyes, aye. Do we really only want guys who seek the Scotland job once they're unemployable anywhere else? In fact, I doubt if Moyes would take it - still delusions of grandeur, waiting for the call from some Champions' League outfit...

4 hours ago, COLT NY said:

If it weren't for his baggage, I actually think Neil Lennon would be a great choice.

Came on to post similar, with one exception - I'm not even bothered about the baggage, I think Lennon would be a brilliant Scotland manager and would probably take the job if offered.

Guest faircity

Said ages ago I think Lennon would be a great pick as manager but straight away you would have a large section of fuckwits who would be out to get him for their own twisted reasons. 

3 minutes ago, faircity said:

Said ages ago I think Lennon would be a great pick as manager but straight away you would have a large section of fuckwits who would be out to get him for their own twisted reasons. 

Please explain.  I have the utmost respect for Lennon and what he has come through.  I dont like aeroplanes though. The very word terminal gives me shudders! 

Guest faircity
17 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Please explain.  I have the utmost respect for Lennon and what he has come through.  I dont like aeroplanes though. The very word terminal gives me shudders! 

Just shrug them and everything will be okay. 

7 hours ago, COLT NY said:

The other missing piece is an energetic and honest manager who is truly driven to make a difference. Our next appointment should be someone young and hungry. Someone who is willing to spend every minute of the week scouting the opposition, planning tactics and plotting what we need from every game (and every friendly arrangement) to advantage us the most. Someone who's willing to admit when a performance doesn't meet expectations as well, and demands better of the players in the future rather than looking to downplay expectations.

7 hours ago, COLT NY said:

f we sacked McLeish and went for someone like Paul Lambert, who has all the inspiration of a turtle, then we might as well lock it up and go home. If it weren't for his baggage, I actually think Neil Lennon would be a great choice.

Totally agree.  Energetic, honest, young & hungry.  Those are exactly what we need.

Yes - N.Lennon, M.O'Neil, J.McNamara, D.McInnes

What Lennon and O'Neil have overachieved with Hibs and NI show what great managers they are.

Always thought McNamara did a great job bringing the youngsters through at DUtd.  And McInnes has improved Aberdeen immensely.

No - Moyes (would take the job as long as an Eng team doesn't ask first) Eff off back there then.

Lambert - Personality transplant, but was an amazing player, you would think it would have rubbed off on as a manager.

Mcinnes - Id say I’m 50/50 on whether he would do well or whether I want him to stay at afc

mcnamara - is that some sort of sick joke? He’s as much use as a set of spam wiper blades

moyes - agreed he would jump ship quickly 

lennon - yes I’d take him. We need someone with fire who’s not afraid to stand up to others. I doubt he’d take it

38 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Mcinnes - Id say I’m 50/50 on whether he would do well or whether I want him to stay at afc

mcnamara - is that some sort of sick joke? He’s as much use as a set of spam wiper blades

moyes - agreed he would jump ship quickly 

lennon - yes I’d take him. We need someone with fire who’s not afraid to stand up to others. I doubt he’d take it

Clarke before any of them if it has to be someone connected to our game like that.