Time for Eck to go already! - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Time for Eck to go already!

Tartan Shaun

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I agree Armstrong is a better player than McDonald but I’m also a believer in playing players who are starting for their clubs. If Armstrong wants to start for his country he needs to force his way into the Southampton team.

If Armstrong had started and had looked rusty and made an error that led to a goal, everyone would have questioned why McLeish started him. 

The players and formation on Thursday should have been more than capable of beating Israel on Thursday. McLeish should have changed the formation though when it was clear it wasn’t working which was obvious about 15 minutes in. 

I agree with that sentiment to an extent. I didn’t grudge McDonald starting against Albania. But when it was clear replacing him with Armstrong had a positive affect on the team and performance in the second half, he should’ve opted for Armstrong against Israel. 

2 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

I agree with that sentiment to an extent. I didn’t grudge McDonald starting against Albania. But when it was clear replacing him with Armstrong had a positive affect on the team and performance in the second half, he should’ve opted for Armstrong against Israel. 

Armstrong was getting a game for Southampton last month though, at least as a sub. 

He didn’t even make the bench for Southampton’s last game. If I was Scotland manager I wouldn’t even have had him in the squad to be honest. 

18 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yes but changing the manager every two competitive games would bankrupt the SFA within 2 years. 

For those calling for McLeish to be sacked, let’s remember 2 things:

Firstly, no decent manager wants the job. It’s a poisoned chalice. McLeish was the best of a bad bunch that actually applied. People are calling for Bilic (who made a colossal arse of his last job) and the like. These guys don’t want the job.

Secondly, as horrific as Thursday’s performance and result was, we are probably still going to win the group which will give us a playoff and something to build on in the qualifiers. 

If we don’t win the group then I agree the manager’s position should be looked at. 

How do we know that? Was the job advertised? The SFA had one candidate in mind and when he turned them down all we heard were the usual deadbeats wanting to throw their hats in the ring - John Hughes, Billy Davies FFS!

It was then offered to Walterydactyl and when he wasn't interested either it went to the next out of work ex-Rangers manager on the list. An absolute disgrace from a shambolic bunch of fkin buffoons.

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

How do we know that? Was the job advertised? The SFA had one candidate in mind and when he turned them down all we heard were the usual deadbeats wanting to throw their hats in the ring - John Hughes, Billy Davies FFS!

It was then offered to Walterydactyl and when he wasn't interested either it went to the next out of work ex-Rangers manager on the list. An absolute disgrace from a shambolic bunch of fkin buffoons.

I’m not sure how the recruitment process went but if anyone decent was interested I’m sure their management would have let the SFA know. Football managers are not shy when it comes to applying for jobs. 

The fact is that most good managers are only interested in club football. To get a decent manager to manage your country, you need to throw a shit load of money at them. Having some good players and a chance of qualifying for something also wouldn’t hurt. 

I mentioned this in another thread, but the whole situation with Malky Mackay, ruling him out before he had even taken the full team once, was another example of bad misjudgement. We actually looked refreshingly good in a lot of aspects of that game, and it was a very young positive squad.

Edited by SWMM82

10 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but the whole situation with Malky Mackay, ruling him out before he had even taken the full team once, was another example of bad misjudgement. We actually looked refreshingly good in a lot of aspects of that game, and it was a very young positive squad.

I can understand why they ruled him out. It would have been more trouble that it was worth to give him the job. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I can understand why they ruled him out. It would have been more trouble that it was worth to give him the job. 

They should’ve at least given him the opportunity to show his credentials instead of publicly ruling him out before the match.

Get him fucking out...

Hasnt been near a decent job in years.

Its clear the players dont want to play for him. ie mcarthur, brown, ritchie, griffiths

Watched world cup and thinks yeah that walker/trippier idea worked well. Now sticking with it for us even though its clearly not working and we are short of quality centre halfs.. (Dont need to therefore play 3)

Fans not behind him and staying away. 

Thinks mcdonald and mcginn is the answer in centre midfield. Its definitely not.

Thinks matt phillips is a striker

Failure to change things at half time against israel was criminal. Winning 1 nil was a robbery.

Such an inspiring choice.. Just look at how giggs will motivate the welsh and their support.

But hey lets all get our kilts on stick feathers on our heeds and head down there tomorrow because we have hope in our hearts.... Eh fuck that... Not this time.. Players dont give a shit, sfa are useless and hampden is a soul less toilet bowl. 

But apart from all that all i have to say is c'mon scotland.

6 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

They should’ve at least given him the opportunity to show his credentials instead of publicly ruling him out before the match.

Some people might think that a racist, sexist, homophobic anti-Semite might not be suitable for the Scotland manager’s job. 

I’m all for people getting a second chance but the SFA probably thought it wasn’t worth the risk. 

24 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Get him fucking out...

Hasnt been near a decent job in years.

Its clear the players dont want to play for him. ie mcarthur, brown, ritchie, griffiths

Watched world cup and thinks yeah that walker/trippier idea worked well. Now sticking with it for us even though its clearly not working and we are short of quality centre halfs.. (Dont need to therefore play 3)

Fans not behind him and staying away. 

Thinks mcdonald and mcginn is the answer in centre midfield. Its definitely not.

Thinks matt phillips is a striker

Failure to change things at half time against israel was criminal. Winning 1 nil was a robbery.

Such an inspiring choice.. Just look at how giggs will motivate the welsh and their support.

But hey lets all get our kilts on stick feathers on our heeds and head down there tomorrow because we have hope in our hearts.... Eh fuck that... Not this time.. Players dont give a shit, sfa are useless and hampden is a soul less toilet bowl. 

But apart from all that all i have to say is c'mon scotland.

You play for your country irrespective of who the manager is.  Folk wetting themselves about Leigh Griffiths lol....  he is hardly Kenny Dalglish...  a Celtic reserve.  And highlights our lack of options up front.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

You play for your country irrespective of who the manager is.  Folk wetting themselves about Leigh Griffiths lol....  he is hardly Kenny Dalglish...  a Celtic reserve.  And highlights our lack of options up front.

Boyd was our best striker but an arse and burley failed to manage him properly

Fletcher was our best striker but an arse and Levein failed to manage him properly

If McLeish follows in with that path he won't last long

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

Fletcher was our best striker but an arse and Levein failed to manage him properly

How has he not managed Griffiths properly?  He wasn’t performing so wasn’t picked...  he should be desperate to get in the team.

Guest MorayCupMan
2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We were hardly firing on all cylinders either. We were pretty poor against Slovenia away and we had just lost our (arguably) best player in Scott Brown which McLeish has had to contend with. Brown’s absence in Slovenia was telling.

We were pretty good against Albania last month and as long as McLeish and the players get it right next month I think we’ll still win the group and secure a playoff. 

The performance on Thursday was very similar to Georgia away I thought, which wasn’t that long ago and Strachan was the manager at the time. 

If McLeish doesn’t find a formation that works for us and if we don’t win the group then the SFA should consider McLeish’s future. 

Bringing a new manager in now will be very costly and would not guarantee us winning the group. 

Okay I know it wasn't perfect under Strachan and yes we have lost brown who was a key player in the team.

But to fall this low in such a short space of time I find rather worrying and with all respect to Israel I think Georgia and Slovenia are better footballing sides.

It's okay to say if we get the job done next month all will be rosey again but I have yet to see the evidence that gives me the confidence we will do this without a slip up along the way.

If you see the stats from Thursday and listen to the post match press conference and with all the players pulling out left right and centre something to me just is not right.

Yes we will not be getting a new manager soon I know that for certain and a new manager may not guarantee us winning this group but it does not look promising under the current management team we have in place.

2 minutes ago, MorayCupMan said:

Okay I know it wasn't perfect under Strachan and yes we have lost brown who was a key player in the team.

But to fall this low in such a short space of time I find rather worrying and with all respect to Israel I think Georgia and Slovenia are better footballing sides.

It's okay to say if we get the job done next month all will be rosey again but I have yet to see the evidence that gives me the confidence we will do this without a slip up along the way.

If you see the stats from Thursday and listen to the post match press conference and with all the players pulling out left right and centre something to me just is not right.

Yes we will not be getting a new manager soon I know that for certain and a new manager may not guarantee us winning this group but it does not look promising under the current management team we have in place.

Totally agree. 

We will need at least 4 points next month. I'm not confident of that under McLeish. 

12 minutes ago, MorayCupMan said:

Georgia are ranked one place above Israel and I believe they were ranked below them for a long time. We all know the failings of the world rankings but Georgia are not a better team than Israel. Slovenia are better than both though. 

The fact is we struggle away from home against teams like Israel, Georgia, Macedonia etc. and that doesn’t appear likely to change any time soon, regardless of who our manager is. As long as we don’t lose in Albania I’m confident we’ll beat Israel at Hampden and Thursday’s match will be forgotten. At least until we lose our next ‘easy’ away game.

I’m hoping people pulling out is just because the next match is a meaningless friendly. It’s quite unusual to have a competitive match before a friendly.

47 minutes ago, Bino's said:

When you're a goal down at home to Norway in a qualifier and you bring on Iwelumo instead of Boyd, who at least was proven at international level, then you reap what you sow. 

No wonder Boyd said he wasn't available after that debacle. 

Burley was a shambles of a manager who looked off his tits in interviews. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

I’ve said this a hundred times on here. You should feel privileged being asked to represent your country. Nobody else comes into it. 

8 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

When you're a goal down at home to Norway in a qualifier and you bring on Iwelumo instead of Boyd, who at least was proven at international level, then you reap what you sow. 

No wonder Boyd said he wasn't available after that debacle. 

Burley was a shambles of a manager who looked off his tits in interviews. 

Utter pish, sulking because you don’t get picked for someone you perceive to be a lesser player than you is never acceptable. I honestly can’t believe some of our fans try to justify a player making himself unavailable for any reason except injury or family related emergency.

boyd is and always was an utter prick of a man, he’s got an ego on him which far outweighs his talent and now he’s got the mouth to go with it. He was totally out of order, as was fletcher as is Griffiths.

all three should have or in Griffiths case should be desperate to play and show McLeish he is wrong not to pick him. Sulking doesn’t do that

33 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Utter pish, sulking because you don’t get picked for someone you perceive to be a lesser player than you is never acceptable. I honestly can’t believe some of our fans try to justify a player making himself unavailable for any reason except injury or family related emergency.

boyd is and always was an utter prick of a man, he’s got an ego on him which far outweighs his talent and now he’s got the mouth to go with it. He was totally out of order, as was fletcher as is Griffiths.

all three should have or in Griffiths case should be desperate to play and show McLeish he is wrong not to pick him. Sulking doesn’t do that

Sounds like you are sulking.  But as far as we do we would all walk over hot coals to play with Scotland. What you have to remember is these guys have not had normal lifes like us.  They have a talent and get loads of money thrown at them.  As for Griffiths I like a player with an attitude like him and would play him.  Butas usual its the fans that suffer.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Utter pish from you. 

People don't like Boyd because he's hurt them on the football field even though he's a "fat Hun bastard" allegedly. 

Scored a rake of goals in the SPL and and great goals to games average for Scotland too. 

Yeah he's not the quickest but he knows where the back of the net is. 

As for his mouth he's called it correctly on numerous topics despite being ridiculed at the time. 

Cathro at Hearts, Aberdeen players only in a squad for a Pittodrie international. 

We'll see if he's right on the split in Celtics dressing room. From what I hear from Celtic fans he's bang on. 

If you've got a fuck wit of a manager like Burley then why work for him? 

At least he wasn't associated with all the shite that followed under Burley. 

I get you don't like him and a lot of people don't, but don't ignore facts. 

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Georgia are ranked one place above Israel and I believe they were ranked below them for a long time. We all know the failings of the world rankings but Georgia are not a better team than Israel. Slovenia are better than both though. 

The fact is we struggle away from home against teams like Israel, Georgia, Macedonia etc. and that doesn’t appear likely to change any time soon, regardless of who our manager is. As long as we don’t lose in Albania I’m confident we’ll beat Israel at Hampden and Thursday’s match will be forgotten. At least until we lose our next ‘easy’ away game.

I’m hoping people pulling out is just because the next match is a meaningless friendly. It’s quite unusual to have a competitive match before a friendly.

Georgia are heading for the play offs. Slovenia are heading for relegation. I think Georgia could be overtaking them in the rankings soon.