Time for Eck to go already! - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Time for Eck to go already!

Tartan Shaun

I think tomorrow HAS to be the last in charge for Alex before it's too late, Thursday nights shambolic/embarrassing result and performance alone is a sackable offence and tbh, had it been any other country not in pot c or d then I'd hazard a guess that they would act after this international weekend!!   

His tenure so far has been nothing short of unacceptable but this one is more so, from pissing off Leigh Griffiths, his tactics and then stating that they worked, then there is his press conference where he spun the "it was a game of 2 halves" pish which we know full well was not true, we were rank from start to finish and Eck, as well as the players, has to take the flak for his formation!  For me, it has to be a foreigner to replace him and my choice is Cesare Prandelli with Joe Jordan as assistant. 

10 minutes ago, Tartan Shaun said:

I think tomorrow HAS to be the last in charge for Alex before it's too late, Thursday nights shambolic/embarrassing result and performance alone is a sackable offence and tbh, had it been any other country not in pot c or d then I'd hazard a guess that they would act after this international weekend!!   

His tenure so far has been nothing short of unacceptable but this one is more so, from pissing off Leigh Griffiths, his tactics and then stating that they worked, then there is his press conference where he spun the "it was a game of 2 halves" pish which we know full well was not true, we were rank from start to finish and Eck, as well as the players, has to take the flak for his formation!  For me, it has to be a foreigner to replace him and my choice is Cesare Prandelli with Joe Jordan as assistant. 

Aye go for  forienger.  Thats the answer. Yiu have the brains.

Why do folk keep coming away with this daft nonsense? He has been in charge for two competitive games. He is going nowhere. He will have at least two more competitive games, probably more. How often does a manager get sacked after two competitive games?

Guest MorayCupMan

tomorrow I cannot see being McLeish's last game they will give him at least the rest of the nations league.

I would like to see billic or ideally steve clarke come in but I sadly cannot see it happen as it seems to be old mates/yes men not people with new ideas.

Nonsense. 

As long as McLeish has learned that his formation doesn’t work, particularly away from home, and tries something different then we will still win this group. 

Michael O’Neill had some terrible results in his first year as NI manager. A manager needs time to find his best 11 and formation.

As long as we don’t lose in Albania and beat Israel at home, the group is ours. Even McLeish should manage that, as long as we keep 11 men on the pitch and don’t score any more suicidal own goals. 

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Nonsense. 

As long as McLeish has learned that his formation doesn’t work, particularly away from home, and tries something different then we will still win this group. 

Michael O’Neill had some terrible results in his first year as NI manager. A manager needs time to find his best 11 and formation.

As long as we don’t lose in Albania and beat Israel at home, the group is ours. Even McLeish should manage that, as long as we keep 11 men on the pitch and don’t score any more suicidal own goals. 

For me the problem runs a lot deeper than tactical and selection errors though......for me there is something really not right with McLeish himself..... you just have to listen to his post match interview. 

An alcohol problem has been mentioned.......i really hope that’s not the case though!

2 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

For me the problem runs a lot deeper than tactical and selection errors though......for me there is something really not right with McLeish himself..... you just have to listen to his post match interview. 

An alcohol problem has been mentioned.......i really hope that’s not the case though!

Even if he did have an alcohol problem, and there’s absolutely no evidence that he does, how would that make the vast majority of the players underperform on Thursday night? 

Needlessly giving the ball away time after time has fuck all to do with a manager’s tactics. Having said that, McLeish shouldn’t have played with two up front in my opinion. He also needs to sort out the Tierney/Robertson problem because his solution just isn’t working. If he can do that then we’ll probably still win the group. 

10 minutes ago, Tartan Shaun said:

I was going to say him but then remembered his record in EPL and went off him but, he could be a successful manager for us. 

Aye, I know. I just liked his thoughts views and insight as a pundit during the WC and his record (if I remember right) was good as Croatia manager. 

I just think he’d be a good fit for us somehow. 

I've made my feelings known about our current manager on other threads, never a personal attack. Decided to have a look at his professional record over the last 10 years. Not exactly a career as a successful manager over the past decade.

Left the Scotland job.

Birmingham City-relegated from EPL, promoted, then relegated again. (2007/8)

Birmingham City-English League cup won, then relegated again. (2008/9)

Move to Aston Villa (Controversial) narrowly avoided relegation sacked after 1 season (2011/12)

Nottingham Forest-left after 40 day's (mutual consent?) 2012

In the past 6 years Genk (Belgium 2014/15) and Zamalek (Egypt 2016)

How the SFA could appoint him with confidence God only knows.

If i've missed anything feel free to correct me.

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Even if he did have an alcohol problem, and there’s absolutely no evidence that he does, how would that make the vast majority of the players underperform on Thursday night? 

Needlessly giving the ball away time after time has fuck all to do with a manager’s tactics. Having said that, McLeish shouldn’t have played with two up front in my opinion. He also needs to sort out the Tierney/Robertson problem because his solution just isn’t working. If he can do that then we’ll probably still win the group. 

Am not saying we should get rid......yet! And am definitely not claiming he actually has an alcohol problem, am purely going by what some others have said.

But things have quickly unravelled on and off the park, and it was clear to me the players weren’t happy on Thursday. That’s not only the fault of McLeish obviously, the players shoulder a massive part of the blame, but a manager needs to be proactive, recognise that a system isn’t working, and make changes accordingly. It was clear at half time there needed to be changes despite being ahead, but it never happened. That is entirely McLeish’s fault.

Guest MorayCupMan
1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Nonsense. 

Yeah but before McLeish came in I personally thought we were improving at the tail end of Strachans reign and to me it almost seems that we are going backwards now.

Yes he is picking new players which is understandable why it might take a while to get a steady starting eleven playing well together but to sink so low within a year is alarming. I have never seen such a poor scotland performance in god knows how long and to compare it  to o'neill when he first started managing NI is a little naive as they were hardly firing in all cylinders before he was given the job.  

I have nothing against McLeish and would like to see him succeed but just cannot see it happening unfortunately.

Edited by MorayCupMan

He should have been nowhere near the job, but got it through his mate feeling sorry for him.  

I'd have Levein back if it meant binning this dinosaur that's how serious this situation is.  I keep hearing about how well we played against Albania?  We were absolutely murder until Armstrong came on and even then we weren't that good, with us being fortunate that Albania are one of the poorest sides to ever take to the field at Hampden in recent memory.

McLeish will set us back years, but the SFA don't have the capacity to even consider an alternative.  We could be doing with shutting down the SFA and starting again from scratch.

25 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Am not saying we should get rid......yet! And am definitely not claiming he actually has an alcohol problem, am purely going by what some others have said.

But things have quickly unravelled on and off the park, and it was clear to me the players weren’t happy on Thursday. That’s not only the fault of McLeish obviously, the players shoulder a massive part of the blame, but a manager needs to be proactive, recognise that a system isn’t working, and make changes accordingly. It was clear at half time there needed to be changes despite being ahead, but it never happened. That is entirely McLeish’s fault.

He did make a change at half time though. An enforced one. That probably explains why he didn’t change anything else. 

For me, he shouldn’t have started with 2 up front to begin with as we looked short in midfield and he should have changed that long before half time. 

It would be ridiculous for the SFA to sack him after 2 competitive games, especially since we won one of them. 

Having said the above, I am conscious of the fact that Thursday was one of Scotland’s worst performances and results in our history and McLeish’s peg is already starting to shoogle. 

The players also need to have a good look at themselves. Almost every one of them should be ashamed of their performance and are also to blame for the result. 

It is also worth remembering that if it wasn’t for a dodgy red card and a freak own goal we would probably have got at least a draw. We should, of course, be looking to win this type of game but sometimes you don’t play well. 

What matters now is how the manager and players react and what we do against Albania and Israel next month. Another performance, formation and result like the one on Thursday and I will also be calling for his ginger/grey head.

Avoid defeat in Albania and beat Israel at home and, Thursday night aside, it will be job done. 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Why do folk keep coming away with this daft nonsense? He has been in charge for two competitive games. He is going nowhere. He will have at least two more competitive games, probably more. How often does a manager get sacked after two competitive games?

Just because it doesn’t happen, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t. He should never have been appointed, nor should he continue. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He did make a change at half time though. An enforced one. That probably explains why he didn’t change anything else. 

For me, he shouldn’t have started with 2 up front to begin with as we looked short in midfield and he should have changed that long before half time. 

It would be ridiculous for the SFA to sack him after 2 competitive games, especially since we won one of them. 

Having said the above, I am conscious of the fact that Thursday was one of Scotland’s worst performances and results in our history and McLeish’s peg is already starting to shoogle. 

The players also need to have a good look at themselves. Almost every one of them should be ashamed of their performance and are also to blame for the result. 

It is also worth remembering that if it wasn’t for a dodgy red card and a freak own goal we would probably have got at least a draw. We should, of course, be looking to win this type of game but sometimes you don’t play well. 

What matters now is how the manager and players react and what we do against Albania and Israel next month. Another performance, formation and result like the one on Thursday and I will also be calling for his ginger/grey head.

Avoid defeat in Albania and beat Israel at home and, Thursday night aside, it will be job done. 

That was a straight change in personnel though, the system wasn’t altered at all, we needed an outlet and some pace going forward in the second half. 

I was at the Albania game, and as BLG said above, Armstrong made a huge difference in midfield, the ball was moving forwards quicker and there was some good link up play. You had none of that with McDonald in midfield. Armstrong is taking time to settle in at Southampton, as he did at Celtic, but there is no doubt he is a better player.

14 minutes ago, MorayCupMan said:

Yeah but before McLeish came in I personally thought we were improving at the tail end of Strachans reign and to me it almost seems that we are going backwards now.

Yes he is picking new players which is understandable why it might take a while to get a steady starting eleven playing well together but to sink so low within a year is alarming. I have never seen such a poor scotland performance in god knows how long and to compare it  to o'neill when he first started managing NI is a little naive as they were hardly firing in all cylinders before he was given the job.  

I have nothing against McLeish and would like to see him succeed but just cannot see it happening unfortunately.

We were hardly firing on all cylinders either. We were pretty poor against Slovenia away and we had just lost our (arguably) best player in Scott Brown which McLeish has had to contend with. Brown’s absence in Slovenia was telling.

We were pretty good against Albania last month and as long as McLeish and the players get it right next month I think we’ll still win the group and secure a playoff. 

The performance on Thursday was very similar to Georgia away I thought, which wasn’t that long ago and Strachan was the manager at the time. 

If McLeish doesn’t find a formation that works for us and if we don’t win the group then the SFA should consider McLeish’s future. 

Bringing a new manager in now will be very costly and would not guarantee us winning the group. 

16 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

That was a straight change in personnel though, the system wasn’t altered at all, we needed an outlet and some pace going forward in the second half. 

I was at the Albania game, and as BLG said above, Armstrong made a huge difference in midfield, the ball was moving forwards quicker and there was some good link up play. You had none of that with McDonald in midfield. Armstrong is taking time to settle in at Southampton, as he did at Celtic, but there is no doubt he is a better player.

I agree Armstrong is a better player than McDonald but I’m also a believer in playing players who are starting for their clubs. If Armstrong wants to start for his country he needs to force his way into the Southampton team.

If Armstrong had started and had looked rusty and made an error that led to a goal, everyone would have questioned why McLeish started him. 

The players and formation on Thursday should have been more than capable of beating Israel on Thursday. McLeish should have changed the formation though when it was clear it wasn’t working which was obvious about 15 minutes in. 

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We were hardly firing on all cylinders either. We were pretty poor against Slovenia away and we had just lost our (arguably) best player in Scott Brown which McLeish has had to contend with. Brown’s absence in Slovenia was telling.

We were pretty good against Albania last month and as long as McLeish and the players get it right next month I think we’ll still win the group and secure a playoff. 

The performance on Thursday was very similar to Georgia away I thought, which wasn’t that long ago and Strachan was the manager at the time. 

If McLeish doesn’t find a formation that works for us and if we don’t win the group then the SFA should consider McLeish’s future. 

Bringing a new manager in now will be very costly and would not guarantee us winning the group. 

So would failure to qualify be "costly"!! 

51 minutes ago, MorayCupMan said:

We we're only improving because he ended up picking Celtic players. Then he picked Barry bannan against Slovenia for a playoff spot !

Edited by King83
Mistake

1 minute ago, Tartan Shaun said:

So would failure to qualify be "costly"!! 

Yes but changing the manager every two competitive games would bankrupt the SFA within 2 years. 

For those calling for McLeish to be sacked, let’s remember 2 things:

Firstly, no decent manager wants the job. It’s a poisoned chalice. McLeish was the best of a bad bunch that actually applied. People are calling for Bilic (who made a colossal arse of his last job) and the like. These guys don’t want the job.

Secondly, as horrific as Thursday’s performance and result was, we are probably still going to win the group which will give us a playoff and something to build on in the qualifiers. 

If we don’t win the group then I agree the manager’s position should be looked at.