Team for portugal - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for portugal

Malcolm

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

Levein, Gough and McPherson started the match, but I can only see one full-back (McKimmie). To be honest I have no idea what formation it was. I don't remember Roxburgh ever playing a formation that wasn't 4 at the back.

One thing surprises me, though, I had no idea Carlos Queiros was the manager that day. 

Did McInally play as a full/wing back?  I've just somehow got that in my head.  I wasn't there, maybe if someone was and is out of therapy they could let us know.

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Did McInally play as a full/wing back?  I've just somehow got that in my head.  I wasn't there, maybe if someone was and is out of therapy they could let us know.

The website said that he did.

To be honest, you're probably right. I was only about 14 back then, probably why I can't remember. I still remember it well enough to be emotionally scarred by it, though.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/portugal-v-scotland-28-april-1993-244298/

14 minutes ago, runningtings said:

I predict:

------------------- Gordon

SoD -- Devlin --- McKenna --- Robertson

----------------- McTominay

Forrest -- Armstrong -- McGinn-- McGregor

------------------ McBurnie

I actually would not mind this team \

Good midfield and 4 AT THE BACK!

Maybe shinne for mctominey?? 

Mind you i would really like to see how mctominey plays internationally. He has never really done much wrong i wont think

10 minutes ago, Chripper said:

The website said that he did.

To be honest, you're probably right. I was only about 14 back then, probably why I can't remember. I still remember it well enough to be emotionally scarred by it, though.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/portugal-v-scotland-28-april-1993-244298/

This explains your rose tinted specs about Duncan Shearer and Billy Dodds. You were young and naive. 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

This explains your rose tinted specs about Duncan Shearer and Billy Dodds. You were young and naive. 

I was young once, but never naïve.

Shearer and Dodds were pretty much the B strikers back in the day. But yes, they're still better than what we have right now.

53 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

the bad management started when Mcliesh allowed players to miss the matches in peru and mexico - he set a dangerous precedent which allows people to take advantage of scotland and the manager

This. There were heaps of fans decrying those games but the players had no excuse. You don’t sign up for your country but only decide if you fancy playing x amount of miles radius from your house. Those pullouts were a disgrace.

52 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Levein played as a sweeper. I've no recollection of McInally playing at all. I do remember them missing an open goal at 5-0 and me and my pal caught on camera looking like 2 pints of blood had been drained from our faces. Horrific night.

Just now, daviebee said:

Levein played as a sweeper. I've no recollection of McInally playing at all. I do remember them missing an open goal at 5-0 and me and my pal caught on camera looking like 2 pints of blood had been drained from our faces. Horrific night.

I know there was talk of Roxbrough changing tactics during some taxi driver or something. I thought that was the switch to a back 3/5, which surprised me because I don't think we had played it previously.

The 5-0 game was one of my earliest memories of a Scotland game. Tomorrow could be worse if we're not careful. Thank fuck Ronaldo isn't playing! It would be embarrassing to have to explain to other teams we can't play them because all our nets are burst and someone took all the match balls home.

5 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Neither does Jim McInally. :lol:

The whole defence was a shambles. None of them had a clue what they were supposed to be doing. They didn't understand the system.;) 

It was Gough's last game for Scotland as he fell out with Roxy over the tactics ( or rather lack of them). Roxburgh didn't last much longer either. He was gone a few months later.

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I know there was talk of Roxbrough changing tactics during some taxi driver or something. I thought that was the switch to a back 3/5, which surprised me because I don't think we had played it previously.

Apparently some taxi driver told him Rui Barros wouldn't be playing and he changed things accordingly. Not sure where the story came from or how true it was but Barros had the ball in our net after about 5 minutes! Shocking performance and most of these guys had played so well at Euro 92 the year before.

Guest faircity
1 hour ago, SteveHFC said:

Don't know what Hanlon needs to do to be called up again if guys like Devlin can get into the squad. 

Ehm improve maybe? Devlin is a far superior player than Hanlon.