Why do we keep doing this? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why do we keep doing this?

Jacques Hunt

I have already alluded to this on match thread. This is a consistent problem for us now. We do well, give ourselves a boost and a chance then go away to play opposition we are capable of beating and don’t just lose, but play absolutely abysmally. 

Georgia twice, Slovenia. Macedonia was first campaign game but still - abysmal. Czech Republic. 

Having read Archie McPherson book,  witnessed some of these performances personally and now been told on radio that team only arrived in Israel on Tuesday night, I conclude that there really is a huge problem and it is chronic. 

It is more than logistics though and I really do not know why we keep doing this with squad after squad, manager after manager.

All answers very welcome. 

Ever read Graham Scott's book on the 1978 world cup and in particular the travel and hotel arrangements?

all the possible goodwill of the Hampden send off deteriorated after the 24 trip ( team bus could make it up the hill to the hotel. 

Probably more of a reason for the whole  fiasco than Ally not scouting the opponents.

Shambolic, amateurish and hasn't improved since then.

Not read that one but McPherson covers it and other accommodation foul ups in other campaigns. 

It goes back even further with Tommy Docherty stating that (in his playing days) they were having to wear heavy jerseys in extreme heat. 

I worry about players‘ self belief too and, as good a player as Robbo is, is he captain material?

it used to be the case that, so long as we beat or drew with England in home internationals, all was well and losing 1-0 at home to Wales or NI 3 days earlier did not really matter. That should not be accepted then or now but I suspect there s still that kind of mindset. Notwithstanding our plunge in ratings, I believe that we should be going to Israel believing we can win- and winning with a solid defensive performance. 

Pulling that jersey on is very special or should be and 100% should be a given. 

Even the admission that ‚we did not turn up‘ seems feeble to me. Turning up and giving 100% is minimum requirement. 

Something remains badly Wrong in the organisation if that is not a misuse of the word.

Players queuing up at Burger King for a meal at Tbilisi Airport after last time there as SFA didn't arrange food for team after match. Bear in mind this was 3 days before Germany came calling at Hampden for a qualifier.

Should do a poll for the most bizarre SFA cock up. List of hundreds.

57 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Mentality. Constant glorious failure breeds negativity over the years.

I’ve alluded to this too. Also, even from a young age, we seem to have a major inferiority complex when it comes to international football.

I remember reading an article in the paper last year in the run up to the Under 17 European Championships, which we had qualified unbeaten for......

Scot Gemmill was in charge at the time I believe, and the mentality going into the competition was that we would “cope”?? For me, that is the completely wrong attitude and mentality..... we are going into the championships, even at a young age, looking up to the Germany’s and England’s rather than believing we can go and beat them! 

Ultimately it was a last minute goal from France that put us out! But we were there on merit and need to start believing in ourselves from a young age that we can not only just live with the top tier nations, but also defeat them! 

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Agree with this, the lack of leadership within the game in Scotland is truly abysmal too. Couple bad leadership with poor mentality and it’s not exactly surprising we are so pish at fitba 

bring on the Portuguese 😂😂😂😂😂

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

We are notoriously bad travellers. I think Paw Broon is about the only manager we've had who could get us results in away games consistently.

Agree that we are but that is exactly what needs addressed. TBH not much better at home these days and worry that players fear playing at Hampden more than visiting team. Will be at game on Sunday and fear ugly atmosphere. Have felt in past that support just waiting to start negativity and booing and players sense this too. So if we are notoriously bad travellers and frightened at home, what’s the answer? Craven fucking Cottage? How can things have become so bad?

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

There is a lot in this I think. Remember how, when WGS finally acknowledged value of including core of Celtic team ( winners) and we played much, much better? 

I mean, Kevin MacDonald goes into each Fulham game this season hoping not to lose. 

BTW I am not a Celtic supporter.

53 minutes ago, todd said:

Can all football related folk, be it fans, managers, pundits, or commentators please stop saying "alluded to"  Does my fuckin heed in! 

Why? Simple English. How would you rather state it?

The SFA are the main cause of our Great Nation being constantly ridiculed. Go back to the 1954 World Cup when in their great wisdom they sent a squad of 13 players...who were vastly outnumbered by the SFA Officials!!! 

I'm not a great fan of McLeish, in my opinion he is not capable at the highest level. I've said on here many times, unless King Kenny can be persuaded, Strachan was as good as we could have hoped for. Sure not to everyones liking but undoubtedly had the right credentials.

Unfortunately, and lets be brutally honest,  we have a complete load of shite to select from at present, I'm not sure Mcleish would show any passion if you blew his bollocks off! The two combined ain't gonna get us very far.

When performances like last night become acceptable then they become commonplace

The last 20 years are littered with shite that have been accepted with a shrug of the shoulders

Same with not producing a World Class player in my lifetime - the last we had were born before 67

It's just accepted intertwined with think tanks to take the heat off the SFA

12 minutes ago, RobRoy69 said:

Unfortunately, and lets be brutally honest,  we have a complete load of shite to select from at present,

I think that this is harsh; NI and WAles have similar quality or lack of but have achieved much more recently. Last night was abysmal and even if players do not perform to their max, manager should be capable of changing things. Most worrying for me is that this keeps happening and I have genuine fears about our players‘ self belief when playing for Scotland. 

Many wil poo poo this next bit but I think some sort of counselling may be in order. Did WC semi finalists England not do something like that?

1 hour ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Why? Simple English. How would you rather state it?

Said? Alluded is clearly the crappy current buzz word used in a vain attempt to make the user seem more intelligent than they actually are.  Just watch, for example, sportscene and you can be sure of a a few alluded to's.  Last week mcfadden said naismith was the current form striker and shortly after Thompson said "as James alluded to earlier, naismith is the form striker"  He didn't allude to it, he fuckin said it! 

Edited by todd
Stuff

12 minutes ago, todd said:

Said? Alluded is clearly the crappy current buzz word used in a vain attempt to make the user seem more intelligent than they actually are.  Just watch, for example, sportscene and you can be sure of a a few alluded to's.  Last week mcfadden said naismith was the current form striker and shortly after Thompson said "as James alluded to earlier, naismith is the form striker"  He didn't allude to it, he fuckin said it! 

Been using the word alluded when appropriate for years. Didn’t realise it was a current buzz word. Didn’t consider how much it could upset someone so much. Hopefully it hasn’t spoilt your evening. Last night upset mine.

5 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Been using the word alluded when appropriate for years. Didn’t realise it was a current buzz word. Didn’t consider how much it could upset someone so much. Hopefully it hasn’t spoilt your evening. Last night upset mine.

I don't recall singling you out Mr Hunt.  That wasn't my intention, just a bit irate at everything at the moment on the back of what is arguably the worst scotland performance I have witnessed in my supporting lifetime! No offence mate.