SFA cut yer losses - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SFA cut yer losses

daviebee

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

What game were you watching in 2015?

We barely had a shot in goal until the 70th minute and had no shots on target at all. 

We were every bit as bad as we were on Thursday against arguably a weaker team. 

If you think we were OK at any stage in Tbilisi 3 years ago then you and I have a very different recollection of that match. 

Sorry this just isn’t the case

We started ok v Georgia and looked quite positive, but went downhill after they scored. It was a poor performance certainly wasn’t the shambling embarrassing pathetic display we saw on Thursday.

And Israel are considerably worse than Georgia were then.

15 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Sorry this just isn’t the case

We started ok v Georgia and looked quite positive, but went downhill after they scored. It was a poor performance certainly wasn’t the shambling embarrassing pathetic display we saw on Thursday.

And Israel are considerably worse than Georgia were then.

What on Earth are you basing this on? 

Georgia were ranked around 130th when the beat us. Israel are ranked 95th. 

The rankings aren’t great as we know but 130th in the world isnt great is it? 

We had no shots on target against a team ranked 130th in the world. Think about that. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

What on Earth are you basing this on? 

Georgia were ranked around 130th when the beat us. Israel are ranked 95th. 

The rankings aren’t great as we know but 130th in the world isnt great is it? 

We had no shots on target against a team ranked 130th in the world. Think about that. 

Having watched both Georgia and Israel it seems clear to me that Georgia, particularly at home, are a better side than Israel.

According to the rankings we are much better than Israel. We’re certainly not, on Thursday’s showing at least.

Both Germany (whilst world champions) and Ireland made heavy weather of beating Georgia in the euro qualifiers both home and away, and Ireland dropped points over there in the World Cup qualifiers. Both those sides would’ve beaten Israel comfortably.

I guess it’s an interesting debate but in reality whether Georgia are better than Israel or not is kinda not the point. Or whether it was our worst performance ever - according to bbc poll it was but that proves little.

For me the point is that we were so bad and so shambolic on Thursday that it’s very clear McLeish almost certainly can not and will not lead us to the euros in 2020 - even if we do win our NL group. We won’t win the playoff with him in charge and unless we’re exceptionally lucky with the draw (and even then we’ll be up against it) we can forget top two in the qualifying proper.

For that reason, the number of competitive games he has had in charge is pretty much irrelevant. Comparatively speaking that’s no less than Stubbs had at St Mirren but they recognised their error and fixed it. He needs to go now. Before it is too late and a very realistic qualifying opportunity is wasted.

24 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Having watched both Georgia and Israel it seems clear to me that Georgia, particularly at home, are a better side than Israel.

According to the rankings we are much better than Israel. We’re certainly not, on Thursday’s showing at least.

Both Germany (whilst world champions) and Ireland made heavy weather of beating Georgia in the euro qualifiers both home and away, and Ireland dropped points over there in the World Cup qualifiers. Both those sides would’ve beaten Israel comfortably.

have you seen us lately ? I wouldn't bank on us to beat Andorra comfortably

Georgia had something like 70% possession against us in Dublin

3 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

It seems clear to you? An expert are you?

Fuck me. 

It's hard not to start wondering or imagining what it would feel like to go into the next 2 games with Strachan in charge. Or even Levein? 😲

OK maybe I am just too pessimistic. Will be optimistic for the next 2 games but need to really be on the ball for the Albania game, we need to turn up, keep it tight and let nothing past, and try to nick something. If we can beat Hungary away.... surely a draw, at least, is not asking too much to hope for?

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Reactive nonsense. 

It certainly was a terrible performance and also one of the worst I’ve seen but Georgia 2015 was just as bad if not worse. Strachan also failed to do anything to change that game. 

It’s worth bearing in mind that if we hadn’t have had a man sent off or scored a freakish own goal we may well have won that match or at least have got a draw. Not that we would have deserved it but we were in the game with 11 v 11 albeit the home side were better.

Nothing on earth would have got us a point in Tbilisi 3 years ago. 

No we weren’t. We weren’t even in the game at 0-1.